Lost Phantom to flyaway

Reaction score
So I lost my Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 to a flyaway today. Here's my story:

A few months ago, I decided that I wanted a hobby so I picked up RC helicopters. Got a few cheap ones here and there and could never master it because they were just too cheaply made. About 2 weeks ago, I came across the Phantoms. I did alot of research and watched tons of videos and read tons of forums. Last week I went on ebay and bought a Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 without the camera, gimbal, or WiFi box because it was cheaper. My intent was to fly it around a bit, get use to it and get a camera later when I was sure I won't crash.

During the whole brutal week of waiting for it to arrive, I continued watching another ton of videos and learning everything I could. I finally got it yesterday. I was so excited. I charged it, updated everything that needed updated, enabled NAZA mode and set my switches. I was ready to go. I flew it 3 times yesterday in 3 different locations away from towers, powerlines, etc. Always made sure I calibrated the compass before each flight and also let the Phantom sit for at least 5 mins before taking off because without the camera and gimbal, I have absolutely no information to my Vision app so I wanted to make sure it connected to the satellites. I tested all of my switches and things were just working flawlessly. I was getting around 20 mins a flight.

Day 2: I go to a 4th location for my 4th flight and did everything same as before. I take off, fly around for a few mins and was comfortable enough to go just a little bit farther away across a field. Always kept it in my sight. After about 5 mins I decided that I wanted to come back closer to do some fast flying moves near me for the remainder of the battery. I don't want to leave it out too far away without a camera or flight info.

I flip the switch to return home which has always worked before and waited for it to come back to me. I was planning on regaining control at about 20 ft before landing. The Phantom rises up to the 70 ft limit that I had set and started on it's way back. I'm watching it as it moves into position above me and for some reason, it just keeps going. So I flip the switch to regain control and it's still moving away. Just came back from the field and passed me right up. I set the home lock and pull back on the lever and it's still going. By now, it's just going out of my sight so I turn off the remote and wait. I wait a few mins and watch and it's just not coming back. It's gone over the woods. I turn the remote back on and go into the woods looking all over and listening for any crashes. I try activating the motors hoping I would hear it start up somewhere. Nothing. After about 15 mins I knew it would have died by now so I continue searching.

I search for an hour and then go home. It wasn't until then that I see a video on youtube about Phantoms setting the wrong homepoint farther away from where it's suppose to be. I'm guessing that's what happened but I don't know. I had the return home activated and it just went past me and kept going. But I don't understand why I couldn't regain control. It was only 70 ft up and no more than 50 ft away when I switched back to manual. It was definitely within control range.

Sadly I did not put any information on the Phantom in case of loss and if it flew until it died, it's probably a few miles into the woods. But lucky for me, I did not start out with the Phantom 3 Pro which is what I really want so lesson learned, when I get the Pro, I will get the whole assembly and I will put my info on it along with a GPS tracker.

You probably lost gps connection; but with your set-up you willnever know for sure.

You probably lost gps connection; but with your set-up you willnever know for sure.
That's the sad part. Only had it for one day just getting to know it and it up and runs away from me and I just don't know why. If it stayed on it's course at 70 ft, it would have crossed into PA and ran into a very large forest hill which is well over 100 ft. I live on the border near where it would have possibly crashed but I have no way of going up there. But still, I keep looking out my window at that hill hoping to see it dangling in a tree lol.

Was there any wind that day? As it passed over you, did you notice if any of the light blinking contained red in the sequence?

Was there any wind that day? As it passed over you, did you notice if any of the light blinking contained red in the sequence?
Not even a breeze. I couldn't tell you if there was any wind up there but none on the ground. As far as the lights, I couldn't tell what colors were flashing. It was in sight but my eyes are bad at the height it was at to see the colors of the blinks. At the time it passed over me, I was just focusing on the order of troubleshooting to try to get it to stop. It was pretty much out of sight completely by the time I turned the remote off. I know the general direction it was heading but if it kept that course til it died, then it's somewhere in the Pennsylvania hills and these are like 80 degree slopes and practically impossible to climb.

hi
just so i can understand, you bought a vision+ with out the camera gimbal and range extender?? was it second hand, or refurbished?? crashed before?? just because if oyu bought it new without the camera thats not a vision+, its a phantom 2.
the vision+ comes with the camera and gimbal and range extender period, theres no other option except the above.

hi
just so i can understand, you bought a vision+ with out the camera gimbal and range extender?? was it second hand, or refurbished?? crashed before?? just because if oyu bought it new without the camera thats not a vision+, its a phantom 2.
the vision+ comes with the camera and gimbal and range extender period, theres no other option except the above.
It's vision+ v3. It was second hand and the guy took those parts off to sell separately. Claimed no crash and it looked to be in perfect condition. It flew perfectly the first three times. Then the fourth time it took off after a few minutes.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like you were trying to do all the right things and got nailed. Hope you have better luck with the next one! If you were in Anchorage, I'd let you fly mine around as a consolation.

Ok
Just to try and understand if that happened with a new out of the box unit.
Beeing second hand theres a possibility it crashed the chassi is cheap and if the former owner changed it, it would look brand new, that adds too many variebles to what possibly went wrong in your case, probably a bad gps conection due to the phantom beeing opened before!! Just speculating really, because when you dont know what the former owner been up to with the bird, theres lots of things that could be wrong with it.
Hope you have luck and be able to find it, or better luck if you decide to go for a new bird.

Cheers

Ok
Just to try and understand if that happened with a new out of the box unit.
Beeing second hand theres a possibility it crashed the chassi is cheap and if the former owner changed it, it would look brand new, that adds too many variebles to what possibly went wrong in your case, probably a bad gps conection due to the phantom beeing opened before!! Just speculating really, because when you dont know what the former owner been up to with the bird, theres lots of things that could be wrong with it.
Hope you have luck and be able to find it, or better luck if you decide to go for a new bird.

Cheers
Anything could have happened. I'm just glad it was cheap and I was able to have fun with it while it lasted. I'm definitely going for the P3 Pro and getting a tracker for it too. I've heard good things about Marco Polo tracker. Is It good?

I have the Marco Polo. Can't say how good it is because I've never had to use it and pray I never will. But it is supposed to be good within a mile or so radius of the downed bird and does not rely on cell service. Beyond that distance, you would at least need to know which direction to head out in assuming straight line fly-away and you should be able to eventually pick up the signal with the Marco Polo hand antenna unit when you get within a mile or so of the downed Phantom. Basically, it's like tracking a tagged bear using a directional pointer on a screen. If you want a tracker with unlimited range, you will have to go with one that uses cell service and a monthly payment plan.

I just today got my phantom 2 vision back, it landed in someone's yard and I posted signs. What I'm planning to do is strap a GPS Beacon to it to make it easier to locate next time. I didn't know the GPS position is lost when the signal is lost, and I looked for hours where it said it was.
Why haven't I heard anyone else strap a beacon to their phantom?

because you didn't search enough? LOTS of us have beacons or gps trackers.

I am partial to the $ 18.00 beacon that works a good mile that I got from finland college kid.

http://distance-rc.com/store/beaconv2

BTW, did you do a compass cal after your unit came back from around the world or is that why it flew away? Maybe going back home to china?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MikeTess
And when you do get a new Phantom, don't forget to check the kp-index as it was a 7 a few hours ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeTess

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20