Looking for high end landscape photographers using the P4P.

Reaction score
Website
www.jeffreysipress.com
A search of this forum did not reveal that high quality landscape photography was a big interest here. I am a professional photographer and produce dramatic hi res images and prints using top o the line digital camera equipment. I want to get as close to that as I can with my Phantom 4 Pro plus v2.0. It's my entry to drones so I didn't start with the much more expensive models. I've already learned that video and photographic approaches and equipment settings are quite different. I'd like to chat with like minded users. Or, do I have to figure it all out on my own? Thanks! You can see my work at www.jeffreysipress.com.

Reactions: jpbroomfield
A search of this forum did not reveal that high quality landscape photography was a big interest here. I am a professional photographer and produce dramatic hi res images and prints using top o the line digital camera equipment. I want to get as close to that as I can with my Phantom 4 Pro plus v2.0. It's my entry to drones so I didn't start with the much more expensive models. I've already learned that video and photographic approaches and equipment settings are quite different. I'd like to chat with like minded users. Or, do I have to figure it all out on my own? Thanks! You can see my work at www.jeffreysipress.com.
Like you I'm a photographer that purchased a drone as another tool. You'll get excellent results with the P4P. Everything you already know can be applied except now your camera is 200-300 feet in the air. And I think that camera ranges from f2.8 - f11.

Your web links not working !?

Regards
Simon - Aerial-Image

Last edited:
It’s pretty much like any other camera, though I’d avoid aperture f6-11 because of diffraction, and ISO over 800.

I believe the camera on this drone is a fixed f2.8. Normally not my best landscape aperture, but seeing that there will rarely be a close foreground to maintain a focus for and a long camera to subject distance, I think it may work fine.

Sorry for the bad link. Something's going on with the server. I need to fix that this afternoon.

I'm also a longtime pro photographer and use my P4A+ for aerial landscape/seascape shots. It's the exact same camera as on the P4P. When I first moved from my P4 to my P4A I ran afoul of the fact that the newer camera is focusable, unlike the fixed-focus of the P4. I suggest making sure you get a good focus on an area in the scene that has good detail, or you may get some blurry shots.

Reactions: JeffreyS
I used to be a pro photographer until my condition caught up with me. Happy to chat if you wish. I still just take still images with my P4Pro not moving pictures, although gifs are peaking my interest at the mo. Currently always shoot AEB for HD images.

The camera on the P4P is not a fixed f2.8. It ranges from 2.8 to 11. The "sweet spot" is either f4 or f5.6. Stick with 100ISO to keep down noise unless shooting in very low light. Best of luck.

Hey, you're correct, Jarrod! I checked the DJI site just now. I was previously misinformed by someone else. If I can control the aperture remotely, then I'll be thrilled.

Reactions: Alba Drone
I'm also a longtime pro photographer and use my P4A+ for aerial landscape/seascape shots. It's the exact same camera as on the P4P. When I first moved from my P4 to my P4A I ran afoul of the fact that the newer camera is focusable, unlike the fixed-focus of the P4. I suggest making sure you get a good focus on an area in the scene that has good detail, or you may get some blurry shots.

Thanks, Nick. I'm getting the Plus version with it's built in touch screen. I believe I can tap a spot on the screen and the camera will focus there. Hope so.

Thanks, Nick. I'm getting the Plus version with it's built in touch screen. I believe I can tap a spot on the screen and the camera will focus there. Hope so.

Yes the focus spot is indicated on the screen by a small rectangle, initially at the center. You can move it by touching where you want it to focus. Yes, you can contol the lens opening with the right side knurled wheel. Pressing in on thea wheel clicks a switch that changes the function from ISO to Exposure index, and the selected function is highlighted on the screen in the top margin.

Nick, If I'm reading it right, I don't think that aperture setting and exposure index are the same thing. Does exposure index mean exposure compensation or just tell you the current f stop setting? That makes sense. Never saw that exact term.

Nick, If I'm reading it right, I don't think that aperture setting and exposure index are the same thing. Does exposure index mean exposure compensation or just tell you the current f stop setting? That makes sense. Never saw that exact term.

Yes I meant exposure compensation. To change the F stop you use the setting menu on the right side of the screen. First select still or video camera, then click on the triple dot symbol to get the settings. They are separate for still and video shooting.

What you presumably already know about exposure, composition, subject and lighting are the important elements. The P4 is so good it basically flys itself, no skill required in flying. Familiarisation with flight regulations and a quick read of the manual and you will be set to go.

Reactions: JeffreyS
The right thumbwheel on the controller can be used to change shutter speed, ISO, aperture and exposure compensation.
You don't have to use any screen menu.

Well wouldn't the settings show on the screen when you make the changes using the thumbwheel? How else would you know what they are?

You can see the difference on the screen when you alter settings f/stop, iso etc

Well wouldn't the settings show on the screen when you make the changes using the thumbwheel? How else would you know what they are?
As you push the right thumbwheel (click, click) you'll see the exposure parameters changing to blue.
When the field you want to change is highlighted in blue, turning the thumbwheel wil adjust that setting.
Here the aperture is highlighted and you can change it with the dial.
There is no need to do it through the screen as mentioned in post #13.
i-84bX643-L.jpg

Reactions: With The Birds
A search of this forum did not reveal that high quality landscape photography was a big interest here. I am a professional photographer and produce dramatic hi res images and prints using top o the line digital camera equipment. I want to get as close to that as I can with my Phantom 4 Pro plus v2.0.
Here are a couple of examples to give you an idea what can be achieved with your Phantom
I love my Nikon equipment but it won't go to the places to get images like these.
DJI_0533-42a-X3.jpg

DJI515-0693a-X3.jpg

DJI_0364-400b-X3.jpg

DJI_0928-43a-X3.jpg

i-qWh34DB-X3.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20