Little coast line test

Reaction score
I don't got to high on my 1st run but thought I would share
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Nice place. it would make a nice video if you were to go down the coast at about the same altitude.

Nice flight area.

A couple suggestions:
1. The resolution in YT was only 360 when I viewed it. Do you know why? If you upload 1080 you'll be quite pleased. If you shoot and render in 1080, then upload to YT, it looks great. 1080 with 30FPS or 60FPS is a pretty good file size, manageable and easy to edit. 60FPS lets you implement slow motion if needed in certain shots.
2. The up and down pitch movements seem too quick and abrupt. I know this was only a test, but there's a setting to slow down the speed of the camera pitch. Try experimenting with slower rates to give a more cinematic look. There's also a setting that prevents the pitch movement from starting and stopping so abrupt, It's access from HD icon> CAMERA icon> Advanced Settings. The Camera Tilt EXP setting helps start the pitch tilt movement a bit smoother, and the Gimbal Tilt Smoothing helps to reduce sudden stops of the tilt motion by slowly bringing the camera motion to a stop, regardless how abruptly you stop motion using the pitch wheel. Mess with those settings and you'll figure it out. They are a bit sensitive, so be patient and explore this area closely to make more silky smooth pitch movements.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWH
Thank you for the tips. I have the same issue with abrupt moves.

Thanks John for tips good stuff. The resolution was at the high but then I put into pinnacle to edit and picked a lower one so I could place in Dropbox for someone. Is it normal to have a for example 5 min clip be over 1GB. Looks great but that huge. Looking to convert file but keep nice and clear. Again your tips and time to help very much appreciated. I will work on the movement

I also use Pinnacle Studio 19 quite often because it's quick, easy, and low cost software (<$100). For a 5 min video I usually render around 500KB file size with 1080 resolution. You can see a 5min video I recently posted here with 1080 resolution, which is 461MB file size. Here's are my Studio 19 settings.

upload_2016-11-5_10-7-50.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JWH
The resolution was at the high but then I put into pinnacle to edit and picked a lower one so I could place in Dropbox for someone.
With all due respect, you should never give anyone 360 resolution copy of your work, regardless if it's a test. It's a misrepresentation of the quality work you're doing. I recommend you stick to 1080 at the very least to impress your friends and family. You can go back and use the same .axp file you made and render a 1080P copy, then upload to YT again, then remove the 360 version from YT.This would take only 10min to do.

Your video was sweeeeeet love all the shots. How many battery swaps did it take to do all that. Looks like very nice place.
Im checkin a different clip I have already loaded for 5 mins shows with your setting it will be 450 MB. Yes it looks clearer but that seems like a crazy big file compared to your 419kb for that video you showed. If I'm understanding right. I need to get that but maybe you mean 461 MB which then I'm ok. Thanks

Your video was sweeeeeet love all the shots. How many battery swaps did it take to do all that. Looks like very nice place.
Im checkin a different clip I have already loaded for 5 mins shows with your setting it will be 450 MB. Yes it looks clearer but that seems like a crazy big file compared to your 419kb for that video you showed. If I'm understanding right. I need to get that but maybe you mean 461 MB which then I'm ok. Thanks

Sorry for the typo, my file was 461MB, ~ half gig. These size files are usually manageable and fairly quick to upload to Youtube, assuming you have a good internet connection. My connection is about 5Mb/sec upload speed and it takes about 10min or so for a 5min video. That particular video was two flights, each about 17min long. This was vacation video when I was in Maine last month.

It was great. No worries ok I made another from the original files a bit different but let me know if I did the settings better please.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Oh yeah, that's a ton better, nice! There's something wrong with the panning though. It seems a bit jerky, or choppy. Try clicking HD>Camera icon>Advanced. In there you'll find some adjustment settings. Make sure you have Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow turned on. That should prevent the choppy pan moves you can see in your video when yawing the craft.

Usually when the pan moves are jittery, viewed as a very consistent jitter as each frame is displayed, this means the shutter speed is too fast. This can be slowed down using ND filters. Usually ND32 during sunny days works good. This shutter slow-down helps to blur each frame a little during the pan, which minimizes the jitter effect. However in your case, the choppy nature of the pans is uneven, not consistent, which leads me to believe it's the Gimbal Pan Follow option that might be OFF.

Last edited:
f3ce3e51938e20504b3ed6ac6ff65b15.jpg

This is the setting it's set at for all 3 configs. Looks like green is on. When I move the camera I use the scroller on the remote should I move it at slower maybe too. Sometimes I get excited and go to much. Under gimbal mode it's set in follow other choice is FPV

Under photo do you prefer single shot or HDR Shot. Not sure what AEB is. Thanks so much for all your help.

Thanks again for you help I went back to the beach and did a new video tried the gimbal suggestion I don't think I did any better with the smoothness. The video I posted on a new thread. Hope I'm not annoying everyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.