Litchi Waypoints...Altitude?

Reaction score
Thanks. Welcome. I'm a brand Newbie. Just getting up to speed. Loving my P4 and hoping to keep it one piece while I learn to pilot it.

This Post is for those who are running missions with varying altitudes. I want to plot some waypoints near some high cliffs by water... the pacific ocean. (Malibu, CA) Will the waypoints account for the altitude of the cliffs of the cliffs... or do I need to add elevation in my settings on the waypoint?

Imagine waypoint one is atop a 50m cliff and my altitude is set to 25m?

Thanks in advance.

Freddy J

Thanks. Welcome. I'm a brand Newbie. Just getting up to speed. Loving my P4 and hoping to keep it one piece while I learn to pilot it.

This Post is for those who are running missions with varying altitudes. I want to plot some waypoints near some high cliffs by water... the pacific ocean. (Malibu, CA) Will the waypoints account for the altitude of the cliffs of the cliffs... or do I need to add elevation in my settings on the waypoint?

Imagine waypoint one is atop a 50m cliff and my altitude is set to 25m?

Thanks in advance.

Freddy J
www.barelyhuman.net
No, all your elevations will be relative to your take-off elevation. There are rather complicated ways to do this using Google Earth elevations, but I wouldn't rely too much on the accuracy of them. You can see a video on how to do that here:

I found an altitude limit of under 400 feet when I tried flying high. It wouldn't let me set waypoints at 400 feet and I had to go at 375 to get it to accept. Keep that in mind.

I don't think that there is any altitude limit inherent in litchi. Did you check/set 'max altitude'?

You definitely have to account for altitude! And remember that all waypoints are referenced relative to the elevation of the aircraft where it took off.

Also the latest version of Litchi for Android can automatically calculate altitude variance based on terrain by by selecting all waypoints during a group edit and setting altitude to 'Reference to Ground', and I find this new feature to be a lot easier/faster than the Google Earth method. But since the terrain database does not account for man-made structures, trees, etc., be sure to manually edit individual waypoints if it is necessary for your flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: ebi718
Also the latest version of Litchi for Android can automatically calculate altitude variance based on terrain
Nice, I hadn't seen that yet! Thanks for the tip! The Google Earth method was tedious and time-consuming.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl