Litchi flight over 2km and battery change

Reaction score
I am on a cattle property and I have began using my p4p to sight long stretches of fencing. I am currently pegging out a 3km stretch of fence line. I simply put a way point at the start of the fence and one at the end. I drive behind the drone and hit steel posts along the flight path as a guide and then use the dozer to clear a track for the fence. I am new to litchi but as far as I can see I can only fly 2 km flights meaning I have to make it 2 missions. Also when I need to change batteries I have to start the mission again.

Long story short is it possible to create a mission that flies over 2 km? Remembering signal is not an issue because I am not far behind the drone at all times.

Also can I change batteries mid mission and then resume the mission ?

Thanks for your help.

It sounds like you might be hitting a Litchi limit between waypoints, if you insert an extra one between you might find it works.

On the mission hub you select the first waypoint and hit insert, it will put a new one between this and the next. Check height/speed/above ground of the new waypoint because Litchi has some strange behaviour. Check your mission by exporting KML to GoogleEarth.

A

It sounds like you might be hitting a Litchi limit between waypoints, if you insert an extra one between you might find it works.

On the mission hub you select the first waypoint and hit insert, it will put a new one between this and the next. Check height/speed/above ground of the new waypoint because Litchi has some strange behaviour. Check your mission by exporting KML to GoogleEarth.

A

Thanks for your reply. I actually plan all my missions on google earth and then transfer them to litchi. So what you are saying is that there is a 2km limit between waypoints so if I put a waypoint say at every km I should be able to fly as far as I want.

Also do you know anything about being able to resume a mission when you change batteries ?

Litchi way point 26000ft one way flight

There are other posts on one way missions that I can find at the moment .Litchi wont let you put your first and last WP too far apart .So in your situation this still would give you say half a total distance you can fly on a battery ,a good 3.5 -4km .Since you are always in range just cancel the mission before it starts on the homeward trip. Or turn off the smart return (if you can still do that) keep going then take back control .

You could always borrow a Trimble 750 from someone that does some cropping and set it up in you grader.

It turns out that I can’t travel 3 km on a battery simply because the terrain is too rough for me to go faster than 10 km per hour. And take in to account the time to hit a sight post in every few hundred metres. I could only fly 2km on 1 battery. I would then need to start the flight again from the start.

My plan was to split the mission in to two flights. But what happens is for some reason the drone seems to not be accurate enough to resume at the same point that it finished the last mission at if that makes sense.

So when I start the second flight it begins a good 10 to 20 metres off the original fence line. I would say it is simply me not clicking on the exact right point to begin the second mission.

Anyway my life would be a lot easier if I could have one mission and land the drone when I need to change batteries then just resume the flight

I had that thought (slow flight )after I replied
The free GPS /GLONASS can be inaccurate as many people have noted .I used to plot low 10-14m missions between 30m gaps in the yellow box :eek:now I look for 50m plus gaps between trees .Also Google Earth ground elevation can be out by 14-16m and the error is not consistent across the landscape.
You could try using course lock but Im not sure how you would set it up to do the job you want .It would give you a straight line at least but then you are not sure if the direction is accurate and you would not know the location of the point where want to stop or change direction.
Im still thinking about it.

I can't find the post anywhere but I'm sure I read that waypoints on Litchi must be at least 1m apart and no more than 2km apart. I live in a very hilly area so I always make sure my waypoints are always much closer than 2km apart :)

Not sure about the battery swap, but I don't see why you can't build several separate 1km missions that describe a straight line across your plot? Drop the entire line in Litchi hub then split it using 'insert', drop the waypoints you don't need?

A
Thanks for your reply. I actually plan all my missions on google earth and then transfer them to litchi. So what you are saying is that there is a 2km limit between waypoints so if I put a waypoint say at every km I should be able to fly as far as I want.

Also do you know anything about being able to resume a mission when you change batteries ?

I can't find the post anywhere but I'm sure I read that waypoints on Litchi must be at least 1m apart and no more than 2km apart. I live in a very hilly area so I always make sure my waypoints are always much closer than 2km apart :)

Not sure about the battery swap, but I don't see why you can't build several separate 1km missions that describe a straight line across your plot? Drop the entire line in Litchi hub then split it using 'insert', drop the waypoints you don't need?

A

What is course lock ?

IMG_3553.jpg

I am pretty happy with litchi. I rode the fence line after I flew it and it seems straight. The kink is the battery change. I had another go today and it turns out that it was human error for the ‘kink’ in the line. Because I just clicked the waypoint on the map it wasn’t accurate. So what I did was put a waypoint at the start and finish of the fence. I then added a waypoint between the 2 waypoints at each end. This put a way point in the middle exactly where he needs to be. I then deleted the last waypoint that created a mission that flies from the start to the middle where I then did a battery change. I then made another mission exactly the same way but instead of deleting the last waypoint I deleted the first. So when I changed the battery I then did the second mission to complete the flight. I ran out of day light so I couldn’t ride the line to see how straight it is but it should be as good as the photo here but with out the kink

You worked it out .That's good
Litchi has course lock (I haven't used GO for ages). I have only just tested it a bit like gingerbloke.You my or may not know that you can set the Litchi girl to tell you height ,distance ,battery level etc .One of the feature I really like about the app.
I have a mission set up to check water levels in three tanks .7.5km round trip.
I got a bit over amphibious and lowered the height .It worked eight times then the whole mission shifted a bit.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31