Lipo's Suck!!

Reaction score
So I just sold my phantom vision plus to move up, I bought a used F550 (big mistake but that's a different post). I have two turnigy 5000mAh hard case lipos and after many failed attempts at trying to figure out settings to charge them, I'm at a loss... I know, I know I should do more research, they are great, etc. etc. long story short I'm not a chemist or an engineer I just want to plug and play a battery, not program charge rates, and balance and all that jive. So, my question is could I, if I ordered the correct parts use a smart battery with the Naza M V2 (not the phantom Naza). If so what to I need to make that happen?!?!? I have a couple smart batteries left over with only a few cycles on them.

Not sure why you are struggling?

LiPo batteries have 2 ratings. the S rating gives the number of cells, so a 3S battery has 3x 3.7V cells, giving 11.1V. The other rating is the C or charge rating. This is easy to work out, as you don't exceed 1C when charging LiPos. They may well say 20C, which means they can be discharged at up to 20x their mAh rating.

So for your 5000mAh batteries, you can charge at up to 5A, but I would set the charger to 2.5A, (0.5C) as this will be easier on the battery. Just check the "S" rating and program this into the charger as well if required. Many will pick this info up from the balancing cable automatically though.

Lol thanks guys, that's actually the article I read first. I'm not so much confused on how and why they work and charge, as I am figuring out how my stupid charger works... I bought it new because "it is the best we sell" long story short I'm nearly certain I set the wrong setting in it because the "instruction manual" is 5 pages of crap. And I'm equally as certain that I now have two volatile paper weights that resemble lipo batteries... So I admit it is my fault for not going to my local hobby shop and having the RC guy help me out, which I am doing today. Still though that plug and forget ease of the smart batteries is a lot easier to deal with.

Well apparently I'm not as lipo ignorant as I thought, charger was set correctly, bought a new battery since I don't trust these used ones and I THINK I'm good to go, we shall see...

Make sure you have your voltage first and second level protection set correctly as well.

You've been spoilt with the vision+ (as was I) and the 20% alarm on the app and the auto return and land feature when you're running outta juice.
With the Naza M v2 protection levels set incorrectly or not at all you'll quite literally be able to fly until it drops out of the sky :shock:

dbooty said:
With the Naza M v2 protection levels set incorrectly or not at all you'll quite literally be able to fly until it drops out of the sky :shock:

Been there. Dropped a $6k Tarot on its nose during a battery evaluation. Three props and a set of landing gear. The landing gear was fortuitous. I made my own and it was much better than the stuff they sell.

ladykate said:
Dropped a $6k Tarot on its nose during a battery evaluation.
I'm always nervouse when running in a new battery

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20