Linked RC - Green light ?

Reaction score
Was just thinking about that green LED on the RC when it linked up with the AC. Can someone explain to me how the RC knows it's still linked to the AC in flight. Is it getting feedback via the 5.8mhz control signal, or using the Wi-Fi @ 2.4mhz telemetry down link to get confirmation that the AC is still under RC control? If it's the latter, than the two signals are reliant on each other. In other words if either was to lose connectivity then RTH would begin. Or does the control at 5.8 mhz receive its own confirmation on that band.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

No inputs by anyone? I'm wanting to know if the link confirmation (green vs red) goes to the RC via the telemetry (wifi 2.4mhz), or via 5.8mhz control signal itself.

So no Phantom nerds out there that have at least a guess.

So no Phantom nerds out there that have at least a guess.
Here's my stab. Data and video is via the 2.4 band as this is the first thing that falls over and I can continue flying on until I lose control of the drone via the 5.8 band and it makes its way home via RTH. So I am assuming that the two signals are independent of each other. I'm fairly sure that I don't need the iPhone wifi to fly so I guess it's up to the drone control frequency - 5.8mhz to fly it.

Agree with your logic, but one to thing to ponder. I was always to understand that the control signal @ 5.8mhz is a one-way signal, and it just sends out its signal irregardless if the destination (the AC) is receiving it or not. And if true how would the RC (red led) ever known to come on. Unless it's via the Telemetry which we know is a two-way signal and the aircraft is telling it that info, that the control signal is either weak or non existent. And to that point remember we also have a bar indicator of RC strength, so that data needs to come from somewhere also. Personally I think it's the telemetry via Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Here's my stab. Data and video is via the 2.4 band as this is the first thing that falls over and I can continue flying on until I lose control of the drone via the 5.8 band and it makes its way home via RTH. So I am assuming that the two signals are independent of each other. I'm fairly sure that I don't need the iPhone wifi to fly so I guess it's up to the drone control frequency - 5.8mhz to fly it.
Here's my theory see what you or anyone else thinks. The telemetry tells the RC and we see that via the app, the signal strength and existence of the control signal at 5.8 megahertz. That's where the signal bar indicator data comes from and also whether the large LED on the RC is green or red. Being it's a bit hard to test this theory as the aircraft is usually out of LOS when the light turns red. I sometimes wonder if you may still have control of the aircraft at that point and maybe the telemetry is not coming through so the red light comes on by default. And the RTH kicks in at that point also by default.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic