Letter from Homeowners Association

Beautiful Picture--polarizer? sorry didn't read the description

With so many places to fly I just don't fly around people. Legal or not it takes away from the experience--having to explain yourself or get lectured. Or a letter from a lawyer--not my idea of fun. especially from my own backyard--I'd be a marked man! overly dramatic but i don't want to be "the guy with the drone" in the blue house.

Two other things caused your problem
1. Knowing you signed into an HOA
2. Leaving for a year without notifying anyone or forwarding address or watching your home

I had a "too young and dumb" relative living in my home. He could not sign for me to receive registered mail so it just went back. He saw no reason to inform me.
That was my mistake. Using a young house sitter.
I intentionally did not inform HOA i was leaving. Personal dwelling occupy by owner clause.
25 years earlier a friend of my adopted daughter "egged" the assc. presidents home. My daughter was not even present. She told me as soon as she became aware of the "egging"
The."grudge" has lived for all these years.
I'm the only resident left who purchased new from the builder.
I should have seniority status. LOL

Reactions: jakobe75
Laws and regulations are going to constantly change over the coming years. What's going to be needed, eventually, is a "doctrine of pre-emption" whereby the Federal government's rules and regulations will take precedence and pre-empt any local or state government's rules and regulations to the contrary.

This happened decades ago with railroads. Every podunk town passed its own rules and regulations for the railroads that ran through it. Eventually a case went to the U.S. Supreme Court which ruled that every single aspect of railroads - including safety - was under the control of the Federal Railroad Administration. As a result, local "speed limit" laws for railroads were declared null and void. As long as the Federal guidelines and regulations were followed, states, counties, cities, towns, municipalities, etc. of any kind were prohibited from imposing their own extra rules.

It's going to take a while to get there, but it will happen.

I think the environs of Montgomery County Maryland, can match that HOA for HOA... ask the folks that live in Montgomery Villiage in Gaithersburg/Rockville how they like not being able to park "trucks" at their home... that's right- no trucks allowed... any trucks and especially "work" trucks like communications vans or parts delivery pickups or anything. Some people have to park a 1/4 mile from their home on a main thoroughfare and walk a few blocks back to home.

Personally, I would never buy, or invest in any property where a bunch of busy bodied moral indignation riddled mouth breathers can manufacture outrage over whatever catches their sociopath ire at the moment.

I lived in S. Fla... and maybe Inverrary competes... perhaps Boca Raton has a spot or 2... but I bet they are not that draconian.

We have that truck rule here, for a few years it was enforced and all was good. Then the dirtbags moved in and stopped minding the no-truck covenant. Now there are oil spots, disassembled rigs, noisy trucks at all hours of the night, rigs blocking the road. Once they started breaking the rules other dirtbags followed suit. Now its like a virus. We had a nice neighborhood, almost picture perfect now it looks like crap. Trampolines in the front yard. Poor lawn maint folks parking in their yards...Ect.

We plan on moving within the next 1-2 years, until then I LOVE flying my quads around because I know it makes the dirtbags nervous. And Because of the new phantom, we learned that one dirtbag on the other street completly removed all of the trees in his backyard weakening the soil and went to dig for a firpit and hit a natural spring, He was warned by the epa about digging and the swampy area out there. He didnt listen, now he has flooded his yard and his elderly bedridden neighbors yard who is too old to do anything...I LOVE flying by his swamp. Because now he knows, that everyone knows. Cant wait until he is fined. Thank you phantom!
We are a "tree save" community near the north GA mountains. We arent tree huggers, but this community was developed to keep as many trees between neighbors as possible to keep.it looking like a rustic woodsy subdivision.
Our HOA is only comprised of protective covenants...which is hard to enforce.

This happened decades ago with railroads. Every podunk town passed its own rules and regulations for the railroads that ran through it. Eventually a case went to the U.S. Supreme Court which ruled that every single aspect of railroads - including safety - was under the control of the Federal Railroad Administration. As a result, local "speed limit" laws for railroads were declared null and void. As long as the Federal guidelines and regulations were followed, states, counties, cities, towns, municipalities, etc. of any kind were prohibited from imposing their own extra rules.
Interesting. My area of town, Arvada Colorado has railroads in the neighborhoods and we have a no horn rule on all the road crossings as of about 3 years ago. Not all the train drivers follow that rule but most do. I assumed it was a city implemented rule. Nearest track to me is maybe 1000 feet away with lots of trees between, I actually like the train horn sound and big freight train noise if the wind is towards us.

I lived in a HOA community for 15 years, no more of that BS can't park my beat up 92 F250 or lifted jeep for me. My current house is non HOA and I love it.

Interesting. My area of town, Arvada Colorado has railroads in the neighborhoods and we have a no horn rule on all the road crossings as of about 3 years ago. Not all the train drivers follow that rule but most do. I assumed it was a city implemented rule. Nearest track to me is maybe 1000 feet away with lots of trees between, I actually like the train horn sound and big freight train noise if the wind is towards us.
Arvada, CO has established a Quiet Zone. Without a "Quiet Zone" horns are required at most grade crossings in the US. The procedure to establish Quiet Zones was put into place by the FRA relatively recently. Many localities wanted to impose no-horn rules to limit the noise from train horns. The FRA's Quiet Zone program was developed to accommodate those (quite reasonable) wishes, but still requires additonal safety measures to be implemented to ensure that overall safety is not reduced by trains not sounding their horns. They use a statistical approach and the FAA will probably end up using something similar.

Reactions: AlecW
Common? I will say it is common. (if common means asinine)
I cannot agree less... but that is why I choose to not ever live in a planned community or sub division- the ideal of a HOA is fine- in practice, we all know what sorts of people dominate those things- the people with no job, or menial mentality work, over developed amygdala, busy body, cannot mind their own business, and adept at manufacturing outrage type wastes of oxygen.

Ben Franklin said, "The world is full of fools and faint hearts; and yet everyone has courage enough to bear the misfortunes, and wisdom enough to manage the affairs, of his neighbor."

Sorry you feel that way , I'm on the HOA Board in my neighbor hood in Florida . You paint a picture from the news where the HOA just can't wait to fine a fellow neighbor or take their house , or make a new rule , well its doesn't work that way in our HOA . Yes we have rules , if you bought a house here to live or lease , you were to read the rules & sign them .The HOA's job is to keep the community with in these rules ( That the HO signed on for ) to keep the Community looking good , it keeps the Homes resale value up because the entire Community is nice to look at & all homes are kept up .

I applied & was elected to this position when I retired a couple years ago , so I guess I am jobless like you say , but thats as far as it goes, I did it because those around my street said I needed to get in there to make sure some common sense is kept on the board , I can assure you this is not a job for the faint heated , seems there are always a few who don't like to abide by the rules they signed off on & yes they do get into legal trouble because of it .

We have a outside firm that takes care of all legal events if they show up & takes care of drive by inspections regularly , they are quite good at it & most of it is penny anti stuff & on most part HO's take care of it when they get the assessment .

We don't allow large trucks ( passenger trucks for personal use are fine ) , Boats or Trailers in the Community , nor are you to have a bunch of junk cars or trucks on your property .

Basically some people don't like the rules they signed on for & always have to try to get out of them or go around them in spite of them . We are probably more laid back then the very large HOA's , we hear the horror stories in the news & from some of the more high & mighty HOA's in our area , but for the most part , 99% of the people that live here like the rules , our house's sell at the top of the appraisal's & they sell very quickly .

I fly my P3S over the neighborhood , usually well over 100+ ft. & have no issues , I even used it to not only get Hurricane damage & to check retention Ponds before one ,to see if there is any blockage that might cause a flooding issue .

There are horror stories out there & with all the HOA's out there, you only hear of sparse issues with some of the more uptight ones .
As far as foreclosing on a Home , I can tell you its a very long process & the HO has a great deal of leeway , Legally , I can tell you this HOA will do everything we can do legally to help them ( one of our neighbor's ) to keep it from happening , but it does happen sometimes no matter how much you help , some people just don't care or have other issues we can never be aware of legally .

Last edited:
Arvada, CO has established a Quiet Zone. Without a "Quiet Zone" horns are required at most grade crossings in the US. The procedure to establish Quiet Zones was put into place by the FRA relatively recently. Many localities wanted to impose no-horn rules to limit the noise from train horns. The FRA's Quiet Zone program was developed to accommodate those (quite reasonable) wishes, but still requires additonal safety measures to be implemented to ensure that overall safety is not reduced by trains not sounding their horns. They use a statistical approach and the FAA will probably end up using something similar.
Thanks for the clarification.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20