Laws and regulations for drones

This is the kind of thing I mean, all taken from Transport Canada website:

0397d7d6769ffe8a3e2a24f078c85017.jpg

ee378dd3ce1ecb22b225a25d9b827066.jpg

Words like "recommend", and "should not" means there is an argument to be made for common sense, and not a black and white law that there is no argument for.

Transport Canada even offers an official sign if you want to post it at an event you are having where it "may not" be safe to fly!
62b5f5f19621c8bd4d83d88900954b33.jpg

So if someone goes to the trouble of posting one, you'd be crazy to fly there but that doesn't make it illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thought I heard it is illegal to shoot down a drone?
I was told in my107 prep class that's it felony to try to bring any aircraft out of the sky.... He said this in response to several firefighters in the class laughing about a video showing some firefighters shooting there hoses at one over a burning house. He advised them to never do that at the risk of being charged....

Sorry, they are recommendations, but they also talk about fines and even jail time if convicted! How can they do that I'd they are only recommendations?

I think it's roughly akin to the assumption by many people that you have to do exactly what the police say no matter what. Ignorance equals submission: If one does not know their rights and someone challenges them, especially someone in a position of authority, they are more likely to submit to a request or demand that seems reasonable but they are under no legal obligation to follow.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Discretion is definitely in order but, as jwmcgrath says, the law is what will earn you a fine, suspend your license or even send you to jail.

My home is ON the circumference of the Class D airspace cylinder around the local airport. If I fly from my back yard I'm in Class D. If I fly from my driveway I'm in Class E. If I discretely take off from my driveway and circle around to the back I should be OK and no one will be the wiser. But I'm aware of it, if anyone asks. I could play dumb, "Oh I thought the boundary was 2 streets over," which might work once.

Discretion is definitely in order but, as jwmcgrath says, the law is what will earn you a fine, suspend your license or even send you to jail.

My home is ON the circumference of the Class D airspace cylinder around the local airport. If I fly from my back yard I'm in Class D. If I fly from my driveway I'm in Class E. If I discretely take off from my driveway and circle around to the back I should be OK and no one will be the wiser. But I'm aware of it, if anyone asks. I could play dumb, "Oh I thought the boundary was 2 streets over," which might work once.
In the US, hobby flying in either D or E (sfc) airspace is ok as a hobby flier if you've have notified the airport prior if you are within 5 miles. Anything other than E (sfc) would start, at a minimum 700 ft AGL. Which you should easily be able to stay under.

Reactions: Bendix
I don't think that's true. You can't fly a drone from a moving vehicle, but I don't think there's anything that says you can't fly over moving vehicles.

The FAA interprets flying over "unprotected people" as: "Anyone who is not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, or not inside a covered stationary vehicle. No operations from a moving vehicle are allowed unless you are flying over a sparsely populated area."

This is in the Part 107 specifically, but the definition would apply under Part 101 as well.

Reactions: Loz
In the US, hobby flying in either D or E (sfc) airspace is ok as a hobby flier if you've have notified the airport prior if you are within 5 miles. Anything other than E (sfc) would start, at a minimum 700 ft AGL. Which you should easily be able to stay under.
The problem is going to be once I get my Part 107 certification and want to do some residential roof inspections for my neighbors. The tower opens at 7 AM and the window to fly in the morning between the start of civil twilight and the time that Class D goes into effect is not very long. Hopefully the FAA will get their streamlined system for waivers up and running sometime this year. In Florida, if a hurricane goes by people aren't going to want to wait 90 days before having someone take a look at their roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West