Larger smartphones

Reaction score
I have a 5.5 year old Samsung Note 4 that is getting a bit dated and am looking at replacing it with, perhaps, the Samsung S20+, but as I understand it the Mobile 3 is not compatible with the S20 line. There are two possibilities that might prevent the Mobile 3 from working with the S20 line: either the weight (mass) is too high or the length is to long -- the width falls within the specs so that can't be it. When was the Mobile 3 released and is there any word on a Mobile 4 that might be compatible with the larger phones? If the weight is the problem I wonder if a firmware update might be enough to fix the problem (different PID's or similar control parameters). The functionality of the Mobile 3 is appealing and having a smartphone that can shoot good 4K60 video with zoom capabilities is quite useful so I hope that either the 3 can be updated/modified to work with the larger phone or a new model 4 that can is nearing release.

Brian

I have a Samsung S20 Ultra and just bought the Osmo Mobile 3. The S20 with a thin protective case fits just fine on the Mobile 3. Size and weight don't seem to bother the Mobile 3. They work well together.

Reactions: Raptorman0909
I have a Samsung S20 Ultra and just bought the Osmo Mobile 3. The S20 with a thin protective case fits just fine on the Mobile 3. Size and weight don't seem to bother the Mobile 3. They work well together.

Interesting -- I saw on Amazon comments from people that said it doesn't work. I checked the DJI website for the specs on the Mobile 3 and it certainly seems the weight is well within the range it can handle. The width is also comfortably within the range, but I don't see anything about the length -- is there any issue related to the length of the S20 Ultra? Do you, for example, have to slide it to the left away from the gimbal arms so that it clears?

Thanks,

Brian

Here are photos of the Samsung S20 Ultra with case and the Osmo Mobile 3. It balances nicely, even with the protective case on the phone. The gimbal does not interfere with the camera or buttons on the right side of the phone. I've used it maybe 50 times. I like it a lot and have never had any problems. It's a great compliment to drone photos of real estate when you need ground pictures.

Attachments

• IMG-1140.JPG
    IMG-1140.JPG
    896.2 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG-1141.JPG
    IMG-1141.JPG
    792.6 KB · Views: 336
One thing else ... can you test tilting the phone up while in the gimbal -- I understand that with the larger phone the phone will hit the gimbal frame when tilting up?

Brian

It doesn't hit anything. Goes smoothly from horizontal to vertical. The S20 is thin. Wonder if it is a problem on thicker phones or phones with bulky covers.

One last question ... I've seen several videos using the gymbal including from iPhonedo and there appears to be a bit of tilt to the horizon, more than I'm comfortable with -- do you see that with your gymbal? Also, there is a "calibration" menu option -- is that for leveling the bymbal and have you used it?

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub