Landing...or not

Reaction score
I've built a landing pad (2'x2' and 1/2 inch thick) that I'm using when I take off from most areas. I learned from my P2 that grass, twigs and dirt and not a Phantom's friend. but I'm having difficulty landing on my pad with any precision. I either miss or one leg gets on and one doesn't. I've tried straight down landings at low speed, entry from the front, back and sides but the craft always seems to shy away from the pad as if a sensor is giving the guidance feedback that contradicts my control input. On the other hand...I may just need to practice.

Any one have some experience with this or words of wisdom? I know that prop wash and down thrust is an issue for straight down landings but is the trick to side entry just stick practice?

Andrew

I ALWAYS hand catch. That pad is great for takeoff but ALWAYS hand catch it is so easy! Just let the Phantom hover at 6' - walk under it and grab the skid. Easier with 2 people but no problem for 1.

Landing on a small pad is tricky. I land from the rear with a slight forward motion and drop the last foot pretty quickly.

After a couple tip-overs landing on uneven ground, (CSC back then),I started hand catching. I'm only near the the "free-to-fly" craft for a very short time. I really can't even imagine any thing going wrong before I have a good grip on it. I keep it right there and pull the stick down. Easy on the bird and the gimbal.

Use the pad to take off and hand catch as others have said above. Hand catch eliminates any of the tipping or crashing upon landing

Just practice, and be patient. Work on it in ATTI mode for a while and it will get easier. I hand catch when in a boat - but landing on the ground is a skill worth learning and, done properly, is as gentle as a hand catch.

Hand catch all the way. Too much can go wrong landing on terra firma, imo, so landing on the ground is for me a sort of prima donna thing. Personal opinion. Recently I have drawn small crowds of spectators, and the oohs and aahs of a hand catch make me feel like a celebrity. :)

Hand Catch... It's easy, safe if done correctly and keeps you from have any unfortunate tip overs. Oh yeah and its cool. I only landed on the ground a few times on the first few flights. Mainly because I was to scared to catch it. Now that I have the fundamentals down it is easy.

Try expo setting at 0.2, it might help you better landing accuracy.

Another vote for hand catching. Makes me feel much safer

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I tend to hand catch, especially when others are around. It highlights that the quad copper is not dangerous and a threat to them. I also practice landing, to improve my skills. Find a large piece of concrete and try and land on the cross made by a junction in the seams.

If I have a level place to land it and it's not too windy, I would land it. Otherwise, I hand catch.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing