Landing on high-rise buildings to capture videos from there to save battery

You dont need a phantom. Get a Go Pro and make freinds with the building manager or invest in a tension tool, snake rake and half diamond.

Seriously- your phantom will be very vunerable to wind while perched close enough to the edge of a high rise structure to get a half useful image or video. Maintaining signal will probably require you to he high up in a nearby building anyway.

Even with 15 mins in the air you will have plenty if time to get some great footage/stills. Grab a few extra batteries.

Reactions: repsej
Do you, friend, family, or associate live in the building?

If no then you may be trespassing and subject to other penalties.

I work on cell phone sites and there are a lot of them located on roof tops. The power from those cell antennas could blast it with RF and it would fry the phantoms IMU and compas.

Thanks all for your recommendations, guess i have gathered enough of the cons to put me off from trying :( but yeah probably save me from potentially losing my p3..

and?? I see so many threads on this forum of people doing much more dangerous stuff, dangerous as in losing the drone. Flying huge distances, flying over OCEANS! lol

landing on top of a building is awesome, its gutsy, but no more then anything else many other people do

I say its safer and to go for it. Worst case, as you're landing it, it bangs around flips over, crashes. ok, guess what.. you can still go and recover it, go to the building explain your drone fell up there and security will more then likely take you up to recover it.

Hows that work over the ocean again? or people that do these 4-9 mile runs with custom batteries and what not.

This happened to a user in this forum once, and guess what? They ended up on the evening news as a drone crash on top of a building in the city, cause the building managers, instead of returning his Phantom decided to report him to both the police and FAA. At the end of the day he would have been better off if he accepted the loss of his P3P and walked away.

trying to land on "high rise buildings" of any kind if a very bad idea. There are too many variables to account for you stand an extremely high risk of loss. Like others said, you may very well be able to land but not take off again. You will be loosing your interference free clean line of sight not to mention be introducing unknown sources of interference which can affect your compass. Just don't do it unless you are willing to walk away from it should it either crash or simply be unable to take off again.

Last edited:
Aside form technical difficulties;
I can't imagine taking better shots from a rooftop than from hovering over it.
Also, wouldn't it be trespassing?

Sent from my B1-810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Unless there is something wrong with your Phantom or you are flying in very brisk winds then you can should be able to take pretty **** good shots from up high with the Phantom in a hover. Videos I've done with mine when I stop moving literally look like a freeze frame it's so rock solid stable. It's such a waste of time and unnecessarily risky to attempting building landings. And that's not even to mention possible legal action against you should something go wrong.

I don't know what the rules are in your country but in the UK this would break every rule in the book and if caught doing it; said book would be thrown at you. If you **** up the landing and it plummets to the ground smashing someones skull in; you may well want to run away . . . . . . . quickly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl