Landing on high-rise buildings to capture videos from there to save battery

Reaction score
Anyone tried landing on rooftops of high-rise buildings to capture videos from there to save battery? Feasible? Sounds dangerous i.e. p3 doesn't fly anymore risk losing your p3 there.. and lots of landing skills needed here especially when you can't see where to land.. anyone tried?

My first thought is that it would be a very bad idea. For lots of reasons.
Flying that close to tall buildings with lots of interference of your wifi signal to the bird is first and yes, you may land- and not be able to take off.
And wind up drafts near a big building. Liability from crashing.
Just to name a few.
Bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My first thought is that it would be a very bad idea. For lots of reasons.
Flying that close to tall buildings with lots of interference of your wifi signal to the bird is first and yes, you may land- and not be able to take off.
And wind up drafts near a big building. Liability from crashing.
Just to name a few.
Bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks jephoto. And yea, taking off is one of my primary concern.. from the way you put it from the technological/geographical aspect - yes, sounds really a bad idea..

thanks for the advice!

Reactions: SoundByte
It is possible you will lose your signal and not be able to take off again due to the distance and the metal that may be in the building. Also, you would need to land near the ledge so you can see what is below.

Also, after you land and cut the engine, your new home point will be the location you took off from. That may not be healthy for the drone if you drain the battery too low while continuing to run the camera.

Anyone tried landing on rooftops of high-rise buildings to capture videos from there to save battery? Feasible? Sounds dangerous i.e. p3 doesn't fly anymore risk losing your p3 there.. and lots of landing skills needed here especially when you can't see where to land.. anyone tried?
Not a good idea, for all the reasons stated. Also, because most high-rise towers have a parapet on the circumference of the roof. the camera would not really see anything unless you landed on top of the parapet itself or an HVAC unit, all of which are made of steel. We all know what steel does to the IMU. You may find your drone switching to ATTI mode suddenly.

Thanks everyone for their views - really valuable!

Guess i better not experiment this or risk losing my P3 :(

Try to find a parking deck that's near by and see if that will work. Also note that most cement will have rebar and cause a compass error. But keeping that in mind, may get you to a higher level if you can get on top of a parking deck.

Reactions: Design-engine
Try to find a parking deck that's near by and see if that will work. Also note that most cement will have rebar and cause a compass error. But keeping that in mind, may get you to a higher level if you can get on top of a parking deck.

Yes sir, thank you, will take note of your advice; was what i initially thought too - to find a parking deck that's near by for experiment. Have a nice day:)

Why don't you go up to the high rise building and hold P3 in your hands while enjoying shooting videos.

Practice landing on something 1 foot wide in the wind with zero margin for error.

Yes that would help reinforce my confidence; more so i have to land with aid only from the tablet screen which IMHO the hardest to gauge. will try that out one day.

Thank you. :)

Why don't you go up to the high rise building and hold P3 in your hands while enjoying shooting videos.

Haha yes sir that would sound hilarious. Well maybe i am not so clear with my question - highrise buildings am referring to rooftops which most of the time are out of access to the public :)

Yes that would help reinforce my confidence; more so i have to land with aid only from the tablet screen which IMHO the hardest to gauge. will try that out one day.

Thank you. :)

My statement was meant to dissuade you from doing this, not to get you to go out and practice.

It is possible you will lose your signal and not be able to take off again due to the distance and the metal that may be in the building. Also, you would need to land near the ledge so you can see what is below.

Also, after you land and cut the engine, your new home point will be the location you took off from. That may not be healthy for the drone if you drain the battery too low while continuing to run the camera.

and?? I see so many threads on this forum of people doing much more dangerous stuff, dangerous as in losing the drone. Flying huge distances, flying over OCEANS! lol

landing on top of a building is awesome, its gutsy, but no more then anything else many other people do

I say its safer and to go for it. Worst case, as you're landing it, it bangs around flips over, crashes. ok, guess what.. you can still go and recover it, go to the building explain your drone fell up there and security will more then likely take you up to recover it.

Hows that work over the ocean again? or people that do these 4-9 mile runs with custom batteries and what not.

Reactions: repsej
and?? I see so many threads on this forum of people doing much more dangerous stuff, dangerous as in losing the drone. Flying huge distances, flying over OCEANS! lol

landing on top of a building is awesome, its gutsy, but no more then anything else many other people do

I say its safer and to go for it. Worst case, as you're landing it, it bangs around flips over, crashes. ok, guess what.. you can still go and recover it, go to the building explain your drone fell up there and security will more then likely take you up to recover it.

Hows that work over the ocean again? or people that do these 4-9 mile runs with custom batteries and what not.

Flying over the ocean is the safest thing one can do for many reasons

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Lol I am lucky and live in great stretches of open mountain wilderness and ocean. Seems 90 percent of drone owners live in suburbs or cities. Bummer.....I fly over Glaciers and wild landscape, my advice to freshmen....learn to fly.....travel with drone.

Reactions: repsej

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4