Lake Powell droning?

Reaction score
Does anybody know with specific knowledge if I can fly my drone at lake Powell? On one site they were saying no way but then I noticed it was a National Park site and Lake Powell is not a nation park. I then also saw there are several videos on YouTube of others flying there. I will be fishing there at the first of June and thought I would take the drone!

No intention to take it. What a shame though. So many cool places to film. It would not bother anyone. Half the time there is no one around you at all.

All National Monuments are under the 'jurisdiction' of the Park Service. It is illegal to fly in NP's but not necessarily illegal in some Monuments. This is a recreation area, a lesser regulated area than a NP or NM. It is also huge, with most all people concentrated on one parts of it. Much of it is isolated, and likely not drone prohibitive. Good luck finding an answer, so use your own judgement if you don't.

Reactions: Tenisyn
All National Monuments are under the 'jurisdiction' of the Park Service. It is illegal to fly in NP's but not necessarily illegal in some Monuments. This is a recreation area, a lesser regulated area than a NP or NM. It is also huge, with most all people concentrated on one parts of it. Much of it is isolated, and likely not drone prohibitive. Good luck finding an answer, so use your own judgement if you don't.

The answer was in post #2.

Lots of misinformarion flying about here. UAS policies on federal government managed land depend on the management agency, not the title of the park. NPS nixes flying on all their properties, which includes all national parks, some national monuments and national recreation areas (Lake Powell is one) and some national historical sites. BLM allows flying unless specifically banned and it manages many national monuments and historical sites. USFWS may ban flights on a site by site basis and seasonally. USFS generally allows everything. So to know the rules you have to know the managing agency. The name of the park is not definitive.

And, like the rest of the nation, it is the FAA that controls the airspace, not the agency. The agency controls surface ops. only unless it has obtained an FAA restricted designation, which some NPS units have.

As far as state parks and lands go, there is little consistency. Every state has different rules about flying at its parks, and the policies are often different and/or inconsistent from park to park within a state. The only way to know for sure is to call the specific park and ask. But again, the FAA controls airspace over parks, and without an FAA restriction they cannot prevent you from flying through it.

Last edited:
Lots of misinformarion flying about here. UAS policies on federal government managed land depend on the management agency, not the title of the park. NPS nixes flying on all their properties, which includes all national parks, most national recreation areas, some national monuments and national recreation areas (Lake Powell is one) and some national historical sites. BLM allows flying unless specifically banned and it manages many national monuments and historical sites. USFWS may ban flights on a site by site basis. USFS generally allows everything. So to know the rules you have to know the managing agency. The name of the park is not definitive.

And, like the rest of the nation, it is the FAA that controls the airspace, not the agency. The agency controls surface ops. only unless it has obtained an FAA restricted designation, which some NPS units have.

Apart from post #8, which was not claiming to be definitive, the only misinformation that I see in this thread is your statement "NPS nixes flying on all their properties...". While sUAS operations require superintendent authorization at most NPS locations, that's not true for all of them.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching.
It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.
Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper (9 December 1906 – 1 January 1992)

If the picture or video is worth the fine, I'd gladly pay the fine.

Reactions: Tenisyn

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik