LAANC Question

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully received manual authorization through LAANC in 0ft areas?

I've tried 5, 10, 20, and 30 days notice for manual authorization through LAANC. All of my request have been denied and it's completely unacceptable that I do not receive a response until the day before the actual flight.. I've had airspace authorization through DronePortal in Feburary to fly at 150ft within Surface Class E and my local airport has no tower.

This new system is really screwing me from flying and is beyond frustrating that I can't continue to fly at 150ft under my old airspace authorization. I've tried contacting multiple people in the FAA regarding updating my grid to something more reasonable but no luck.

Last edited:
Why do you "expect" to get authorization in a "0" grid? I understand the grid us just a "general rule of thumb" but "0" are there for a reason IMHO.

I've been flying under a wide-area authorization since February for 150ft. I actually asked for only 100ft on my original authorization but the FAA granted me 150ft. The area that I generally fly in is 3 miles from the airport and at 150ft and I'm barely clearing the tallest building.

I'm just assuming that since they had no problem giving me the wide-area authorization that I would be able to receive manual authorization through LAANC for a certain area. I have even tried at 50ft and if a plane is at 50ft then we got bigger problems then a drone.

the Zero areas near me are the direct pattern areas around my Delta. You've got Wake Turbulence, student pilots doing engine-out scenarios, short approaches, helicopters departing in random directions, all sorts of crazy things. I don't think I'd ever expect to get commercial authorization, even though I could fly recreationally with a simple notification.

Well I think I got to the bottom of it.

My airport has no idea what LAANC even is so the requests are just expiring since nobody is even looking at them.

There are reports of airports not answering the phone and questions as to whether leaving a message on an airport or tower answering machine constitutes "notification" (I would think not). LAANC approval, for airports using it (the roll-out completes this month), is typically within minutes, (but you should take a screen-print of the authorization for your own protection). I have a FREE 15 minute video course on LAANC. I probably can't post the link here but you can figure it out. King Schools also has one running.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj