Kp index

Reaction score
We have had a few high ones recently,personally I never bother about it, does any one pay attention?
Has anyone ever been affected?

No, I haven't had any problems. I fly every day unless it snows or rains or its too windy. Kp index is nothing to me. Maybe in some peoples minds I should pay attention to it but I don't.

I never look at the kp index before going out for flying but yes if someone tells me it's a bad day, I don't fly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

There are many threads on this and plenty of opinions . I have flew when it was reported as being high just to see
and never had any issues .
Just my 2 cents .

That thing told me its not good to fly today.. Its sunny not a cloud in the sky and the winds are only 4 mph, I went out and flew no problems. I think that site and app is nonsense.
It's not non-sense, just a non-issue.

I noticed that today (12/21/16) KP is at "6". I've never seen it that high before.

I'd rather be safe than sorry. I have added this to my pre-flight checklist. If it shows kp >= 5, I take the bird up about 10 or so feet and monitor the GPS/satellite conditions. If look good, I get braver and fly farther. That said, I think it's good to at least be aware of this.

Folks like @msinger say it's a non factor... he's been at this a long time. I give it absolutely no credence and fly without considering it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: iSilentP
As a ham radio operator, I watch the KP indices daily. The effect they have is on radio signals. High KP has a tendency to overpower some signals so it would probably cause an RTH earlier that expected.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20