Kalaeloa, Hawaii

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum and new to drones, iv'e uploaded some videos to Youtube but thought I'd share this one here.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Cobs
Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum and new to drones, iv'e uploaded some videos to Youtube but thought I'd share this one here.

Nice! I see that spot is about 3 NM away from the Kalaeloa Airport (according to Google Earth). As a hobbyist, prior to launching, what was your conversation with Kalaeloa Tower like?

Nice! I see that spot is about 3 NM away from the Kalaeloa Airport (according to Google Earth). As a hobbyist, prior to launching, what was your conversation with Kalaeloa Tower like?
Hey what's up Adam, I actually flew the drone on a whim without contacting the tower, I went to the harbor to try and catch my brother in laws boat coming back in from fishing, they got a little tied up and would not make it back by sunset so I decided to do a quick flight because I was too pumped to fly my drone.

Since Kalaeloa is a small airport and I felt like it was a safe distance to fly, I just went for it cautiously over water. I tried calling Kalaeloa Airport today but for some reason all the numbers that were given to me does not work.

Hey what's up Adam, I actually flew the drone on a whim without contacting the tower, I went to the harbor to try and catch my brother in laws boat coming back in from fishing, they got a little tied up and would not make it back by sunset so I decided to do a quick flight because I was too pumped to fly my drone.

Since Kalaeloa is a small airport and I felt like it was a safe distance to fly, I just went for it cautiously over water. I tried calling Kalaeloa Airport today but for some reason all the numbers that were given to me does not work.

Hey Intrepid, I know how hard it is to stay "grounded" sometimes! :sunglasses: The FAA wants us to give them a heads-up within 5 miles of an airport for a reason. Check out this local webpage for a few good tips: Local Drone Regulation

The image below shows a 5-mile ring around Kalaeloa Airport. If you're wanting to fly within that ring, give Honolulu Control Facility (HCF) a courtesy call: 808-840-6201.

View media item 2440

Hey Intrepid, I know how hard it is to stay "grounded" sometimes! :sunglasses: The FAA wants us to give them a heads-up within 5 miles of an airport for a reason. Check out this local webpage for a few good tips: Local Drone Regulation

The image below shows a 5-mile ring around Kalaeloa Airport. If you're wanting to fly within that ring, give Honolulu Control Facility (HCF) a courtesy call: 808-840-6201.

View media item 2440
Thanks for the info, I tried calling a couple numbers given to me and for some reason those numbers weren't accepting calls, I will try that HCF number when I get a chance. Mahalo

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Nice smooth vertical pans. Good editing too!

Reactions: AllDubyas

View media item 2440

What does a conversation with the tower sound like? What do they ask? Do we have to ask for someone specific? I've never flown within the 5NM of an airport just so I don't have to call in! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.