Just got Zeiss VR ONE: now what? Cloudlight/FPV goggles ... ?

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
as per subject, I'm trying to figure it out which app is "better" for my P3P + Zeiss VR ONE + iPhone6 (have also Note 3).

I understand main players are Cloudlight FPV and FPV goggles+FPV camera bundle.
There are also faux-3D view app, but I presume they are not the best thing to go with in terms of reliability and features (3D aside).

Can you share your experiences and your considerations?

Cheers

I have the VR One as well. I bought Cloudlight FPV and it crashed on my first flight...Not a good first impression. I haven't messed with it since.

I don't have the VR One yet because I'm concerned about the image quality in the viewer. Is it HD or somewhat less as I suspect?

Hi Ed209, when you bought it? Can you remember which version?

Hi Sonof40, it's no HD nor SD, it's just a holder+lenses for your phone, so your phone provides the screen!

Hi Ed209, when you bought it? Can you remember which version?

Hi Sonof40, it's no HD nor SD, it's just a holder+lenses for your phone, so your phone provides the screen!
Of course. Thank you. I'm mixing up my research again.:confused:

I don't have the VR One yet because I'm concerned about the image quality in the viewer. Is it HD or somewhat less as I suspect?

I don't have one either but since it uses portions of the mobile device's screen it must be reduced below HD. Can anybody confirm? I've been thinking that even though it may reduce the resolution to below HD, the added visibility by reducing glare would more than make up for the loss.

I don't have one either but since it uses portions of the mobile device's screen it must be reduced below HD. Can anybody confirm? I've been thinking that even though it may reduce the resolution to below HD, the added visibility by reducing glare would more than make up for the loss.
Agree. My concern now is whether it will cause nausea. That would be different for the individual so I guess you'd have to buy or borrow to find out.

Here is another 3rd party option... FPV Camera... it has a option called " FPV Googgles where you use your iphone and a VR case....

Fpv is good. I use the app however they want to Nickel and dime for everything. Even the flight log. I may try another one. I will look at cloudlight.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

OK, week end it's now gone and I had my share of testings...

*) Cloudlight FPV: app seems quite nice and clean and it is really optimized for Zeiss VR ONE (in terms of pre-distortion effect that can be applied in order to compensate for optical distortion introduced by lenses). You can easily switch from video feed to phone's camera pushing a button on RC.
However, there is a BIG however: I haven't found yet the "direction to home" indication among telemetry: not a map, not even a bug to help you find home. As you know that's quite essential during FPV where you don't have LOS on your bird, therefore I couldn't use yet this app to actually fly. Besides, some crashing, at least on my iPhone 6.
I've emailed developer, still waiting for his reply ......

*) FPV Camera + FPV Goggles: app is packed with a lot of nice features, plus, support is extremely fast (through FB page). You can visualize a LOT of telemetry data with a very high degree of customization. Plus, the touchless UI allows you to tweak everything without removing the phone from the goggles' cradle, very convenient. You can easily switch from video feed to phone's camera pushing a button on RC here as well.
Only hurdles found so far are: 1) there is not customization for Zeiss VR ONE (my goggles) in terms of screen settings therefore you have to tweak it a lot before having "your" picture 2) map and home bearing is not superimposable to video feed (and it appears only in one eye, causing some "eye sickness"), so if you optimize your screen settings for video feed, map ends at the very bottom of the screen, almost unreadable.

I'll update you guys once Cloudlight FPV author will answer my email ...

Cheers
fabbio

OK, week end it's now gone and I had my share of testings...

*) Cloudlight FPV: app seems quite nice and clean and it is really optimized for Zeiss VR ONE (in terms of pre-distortion effect that can be applied in order to compensate for optical distortion introduced by lenses). You can easily switch from video feed to phone's camera pushing a button on RC.
However, there is a BIG however: I haven't found yet the "direction to home" indication among telemetry: not a map, not even a bug to help you find home. As you know that's quite essential during FPV where you don't have LOS on your bird, therefore I couldn't use yet this app to actually fly. Besides, some crashing, at least on my iPhone 6.
I've emailed developer, still waiting for his reply ......

*) FPV Camera + FPV Goggles: app is packed with a lot of nice features, plus, support is extremely fast (through FB page). You can visualize a LOT of telemetry data with a very high degree of customization. Plus, the touchless UI allows you to tweak everything without removing the phone from the goggles' cradle, very convenient. You can easily switch from video feed to phone's camera pushing a button on RC here as well.
Only hurdles found so far are: 1) there is not customization for Zeiss VR ONE (my goggles) in terms of screen settings therefore you have to tweak it a lot before having "your" picture 2) map and home bearing is not superimposable to video feed (and it appears only in one eye, causing some "eye sickness"), so if you optimize your screen settings for video feed, map ends at the very bottom of the screen, almost unreadable.

I'll update you guys once Cloudlight FPV author will answer my email ...

Cheers
fabbio

Cloudlight FPV author just went back to me: currently there is no "direction to home" indication. He states that his app was designed for cinematographers, with little need for such indication. New release, however, will contain that, according to him.

So, please do mind this app currently has no "direction to home" compass nor map!

Cheers
Fabbio

Got my Zeiss VR One today. Also have CloudLight. Did not fly yet, raining, but the view from the P3 through the goggles is not too bad. Only thing up till now I can not switch from camera view to iPhone view.

Hi Pim-K, on the contrary, vision with CloudLight+Zeiss is really good for this kind of setting, and it's fine if you do cinematography only. But for real FPV flights is useless without a bearing to home indication :-(

Looking forward for new version....

Good I did not get that app. Fpv camera for dji. I can see where home is. Not sure why to toggle to iPhone camera mode.

Good I did not get that app. Fpv camera for dji. I can see where home is. Not sure why to toggle to iPhone camera mode.

"why to toggle to iPhone camera mode"? Well, it's for watching what's happening around you ;-)

I see. I just lift googles for that. I did notice however. Any head movement and the camera moves when recording. So I need to focus on subject that is being recorded. And then stop recording when done.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic