Jerky video P4p

Reaction score
I've been out testing my new obsidian I got last month and noticed the video is jerky. Real noticeable while panning. I'm shooting in 2.7k @30fps. My computer is a brand new $1300 gaming tower my son uses for high frame rates on his games. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? Do I need to turn off or on the mechanical shutter? Any advise is welcome.

Did you take the video directly from the sd card in the Phantom or from your phone/tablet?

From the sd card. I turned up my frame rate to 60fps and it looks like it helped out alot

I always shot video with my phantom 3 pro at 2.7k @30fps and never noticed much of a problem. Guess I will stick to 60fps for now. Is that what most people shoot at??

Have you tried compressing the video to a more highly compressed 1080 H.264 file for playback on your computer? That will tell you for sure that it's not the computer causing the issue. Another thought is that panning at 24fps (or 30) generally looks more jerky than 60fps. Does every other type of move look smooth?

Yes.. I did render it into a 1080 video and it was still jerky. Noticed it mostly while turning and panning. Everything else looked pretty good. After I switched it to 60fps at 2.7k, I did another test run and it looks really good on the pans and turns.

I suspect it just may be the result of panning with 24fps or 30fps then. Can you post a quick test so we can see what kind of jerkiness you mean. Maybe then we can suggest if it's different from what we get on our P4Ps. I'll be honest, I shoot 24fps exclusively and I never use panning shots with this drone. Every other move looks cinematic but the pans tend to be garbage.

Reactions: Pharm
I suspect it just may be the result of panning with 24fps or 30fps then. Can you post a quick test so we can see what kind of jerkiness you mean. Maybe then we can suggest if it's different from what we get on our P4Ps. I'll be honest, I shoot 24fps exclusively and I never use panning shots with this drone. Every other move looks cinematic but the pans tend to be garbage.
Good point. Shooting ANYTHING at 24 fps will get strobing if the pan is too fast. This is not unique to Phantoms. It’s true with any video camera.

What software are you running? In Premiere Pro there is a frame blending option that I use to render and upload from 30fps to 24fps that works well.

I was shooting in Auto mode so I don't know what the shutter was set to. I tried to upload the clip from my desktop and couldn't do it for some reason. I use Filmora for my editing. I think later today I will try to get into the gain settings and slow the pan speed a bit as well.

Sounds good. Definitely use manual mode so you can set the shutter to 1/twice your frame rate (so 1/60th shutter speed for 30fps). That could be the problem. If auto mode set the shutter to high then it would definitely look jerky.

Reactions: Ripper7620

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4