ISO and Shutter Speed Settings

I know some may have already answered your questions but look at these if you have a moment. I've tried to explain some of the questions I often get about best settings, ND's and color correction on my channel. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions.

P3 - Camera Settings:

P3 - Why Use an ND filter:

P3 - Color Correction and Grading

@fhagan02 - Thank you very much for sharing your videos. Actually, after I saw the videos you included, I chuckled to myself and said "What a small world". I said this because it was your videos that inspired me to look at shutter settings, ISO values, and ND filters in the first place. It was actually after I found your videos on YouTube that I decided to post these questions. Before I saw your videos, I knew nothing about ND filters, and it was only after I saw your video that I learned of how important it is to aerial photography. In fact, it was also in your videos that I learned that "shutter rate should equal twice the frame rate" rule. It may have already been out there, but for me, it was your videos that really opened my eyes to it. You have so kindly answered any and all questions I've had, already, as I commented on your videos prior to making this post. You generously answered my questions on YouTube. I'm sure more will come up, and if you don't mind, I'll trouble you once again when they do. In the meanwhile, I must say thank you so very much for your contributions. I feel fortunate to have come across your videos, and have had your assistance and support. Liked! :)

With great appreciation,
William

@fhagan02 - Thank you very much for sharing your videos. Actually, after I saw the videos you included, I chuckled to myself and said "What a small world". I said this because it was your videos that inspired me to look at shutter settings, ISO values, and ND filters in the first place. It was actually after I found your videos on YouTube that I decided to post these questions. Before I saw your videos, I knew nothing about ND filters, and it was only after I saw your video that I learned of how important it is to aerial photography. In fact, it was also in your videos that I learned that "shutter rate should equal twice the frame rate" rule. It may have already been out there, but for me, it was your videos that really opened my eyes to it. You have so kindly answered any and all questions I've had, already, as I commented on your videos prior to making this post. You generously answered my questions on YouTube. I'm sure more will come up, and if you don't mind, I'll trouble you once again when they do. In the meanwhile, I must say thank you so very much for your contributions. I feel fortunate to have come across your videos, and have had your assistance and support. Liked! :)

With great appreciation,
William
My pleasure, William. Thanks for the kind words.

Reactions: williamjamesfpv
I am new to this type of filming so each day is a learning experience. I recently added ND filters and even with the darkest one I run ISO 100 and shutter at 1/2000. I find filming slightly dark is easier to fix in post than dark however at this setting on a sunny day I don't have much work to do. If I set the rate to 1/120 even with the filters it is well over exposed. I am running 60fps on a phantom 3 standard.
I have all other settings at auto except for ISO. Is this normal or am I a veg?

Thanks William.Seems like others have given you alot of great reading and info. It 'll all come together.
In case you haven't found the answer to your question of adjusting exposure,
ISO is the sensitivity to light, a change of doubling or halving is considered 1 "stop " higher number is more sensitive to light
Shutter speed is how long of time light is let in for each frame again doubling or halving = 1 stop
Nd filters reduce the amount , ND2 cuts light 1 stop,ND4 2 stops, ND8 3 stops ND16 4 stops
So changing ISO 800 by half=ISO400, 1 stop.... ISO 400 by half=ISO200 1 more stop ISO 200 by half=ISO100 ( our target) 1 more stop again.Total 3 stops down
So change shutter from 1/800 by double =1/400 1stop by double =1/200 1 more stop, by double 1/100 again 1 stop. Total 3 stops up. Remember ISO number down= less light in , Shutter longer time= more light in.
Hope this helps
Just to add some more technical details totes discussion, check out the attached table on ND filters. Notice that column 3 is the ND # and the next to last is the % of light allowed through for a given filter. Column 6 tells you how many stops each filter will drop you. So putting on an ND8, for example, would allow 12% or 1/8th of the total light through and would change the f# by 3 or change to shutter speed by 8 so a 1/480 - 1/500 shutter speed would drop to 1/60-1/65 for the same relative exposure.

Attachments

• ND Filters.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 189
I am new to this type of filming so each day is a learning experience. I recently added ND filters and even with the darkest one I run ISO 100 and shutter at 1/2000. I find filming slightly dark is easier to fix in post than dark however at this setting on a sunny day I don't have much work to do. If I set the rate to 1/120 even with the filters it is well over exposed. I am running 60fps on a phantom 3 standard.
You must be underexposing your footage. Even in the brightest of daytime conditions @ ISO100 & f2.8 1/2000s shutter speed you would be 2/3 stop underexposed. Add ND's and your further under.

That's what I was thinking. I often use ND8 in bright daylight and shutter is in the low to mid hundreds usually.
Exposure offset level set too high perhaps?

That's what I was thinking. I often use ND8 in bright daylight and shutter is in the low to mid hundreds usually.
Exposure offset level set too high perhaps?
Those numbers seem right. 1/ISO @ f16 gives you your shutter speed in bright sun. Worked for many a photographer for years before light meters and with very basic equipment.

I would double check your ISO.
I'm thinking it must be way higher than 100.
Maybe your ISO is 2000.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4