isn't a "commercial" commercial use of a UAS?

Reaction score
in my local Best Buy there is a video loop of a drone flying directly over people, advertising a drone. How is this "commercial" legal? I know it's simulated recreational usage, but isn't it's use in a retail outlet pretty much make it commercial usage?

Also, lots of Drones over people on TV these days, a popular BBQ show on Food Network flys them over large carnivals weekly.

I'm not a rule breaker, just frustrating. Can't expect Joe Sixpack to know the rules when the manufacturers flaunt bad behavior!

in my local Best Buy there is a video loop of a drone flying directly over people, advertising a drone.
How is this "commercial" legal? I know it's simulated recreational usage, but isn't it's use in a retail outlet pretty much make it commercial usage?
There are thousands of people quite legally using their drones for commercial purposes.
There's no rule prohibiting commercial drone use.

in my local Best Buy there is a video loop of a drone flying directly over people, advertising a drone. How is this "commercial" legal? I know it's simulated recreational usage, but isn't it's use in a retail outlet pretty much make it commercial usage?

Also, lots of Drones over people on TV these days, a popular BBQ show on Food Network flys them over large carnivals weekly.

I'm not a rule breaker, just frustrating. Can't expect Joe Sixpack to know the rules when the manufacturers flaunt bad behavior!
I would imagine anyone agreeing to appear in a promotional video has signed off on the liability.

I’m a commercial pilot, “flying directly over people” is the concern
Flying over people without them being aware is a concern......

Noob chiming in. Not all flights are nefarious. I recently flew at a personal party for recreational purposes, but everyone knew I was there and what I was doing. We all had a great time. (The kids had fun flying in tripod mode.)

Reactions: LarBear360
Flying over people without them being aware is a concern......

Noob chiming in. Not all flights are nefarious. I recently flew at a personal party for recreational purposes, but everyone knew I was there and what I was doing. We all had a great time. (The kids had fun flying in tripod mode.)
I think this is part of the fun of owning a drone!

I think this is part of the fun of owning a drone!

I love showing it off and having fun.

Fact is, I dont ever see a "nefarious" flight in my future. I don't want people in my landscape shots and if I'm shooting people I want them all to be looking at the camera and knowing what I'm doing.

It is our job to involve random subjects in our hobby. People think nothing of a high end dslr, but add in 4 props and people freak.

Reactions: LarBear360
I would imagine anyone agreeing to appear in a promotional video has signed off on the liability.
"Signing off" is not the issue. We are restricted from flying over people "not directly involved in the flight operations". The FAA could care less if someone has agreed not to sue you if your bird falls out of the sky and hurts them. The goal of the FAA is to minimize the possibility of someone getting hurt in the first place. So, yes IMHO, flying over anyone for a commercial or tv show is a violation (at least in the US) of the rules

Reactions: y2khardtop

Also are you POSITIVE the "imagery" was captured in an area that does not allow flights over people? It could be filmed in another country with less restrictive rules & regulations.

If it IS indeed in the United States of America it could also be filmed by a company with a Section 333 Exemption and a "closed-set motion picture and television filming" provision. Some people think that Part 107 is the ONLY allowance for "Commercial Flights" but Section 333 is still a viable option for those times when you need to do things that can not be covered under Part 107. It requires a LOT of work, time, and documentation as well as a Pilot's License but it can be done. How do you think motion pictures are filmed each and every day directly over people, cars, highways, stadiums etc?

Be careful when you ASSUME something.... remember was ASSUME does to U & Me . . .

good point, I am a PP and have a 333 but never use it. 333 is general more strict than 107 and wasn't thinking of the closed set allowance. People also seem to keep saying that 333 is "going away". This would not account for the cooking show however, in a public carnival type environment.

If I new for certain they were breaking the law, I would report. I'm bringing it up here for discussion. People see these things and assume they can do it.

I was filming at a racing even recently, insured with permission and communication with a helicopter also filming the event. Next thing you know, random guy in crowd starts flying another drone and all hell breaks lose. "No drone" signs everywhere and people just make up their own rules.

Thanks for the input

Reactions: BigAl07
good point, I am a PP and have a 333 but never use it. 333 is general more strict than 107 and wasn't thinking of the closed set allowance.

Yes, yes it is. Very much so. I like the Part 107 a lot better except I did "enjoy" the luxury of the 333 requiring a Pilot rating for a few "good" years.

If they are not directly involved as part of the crew of the flight than you can not fly over them, FAA does not care.
Although BigAl07 answer is more thorough because like he said could have been shot somewhere outside of the USA or under other rules etc. https://phantompilots.com/members/bigal07.20335/

Last edited:
The real injustice is that if you fly a drone over the neighbor’s head, people go ballistic, but you can fly a passenger jet over a filled stadium and nobody blinks an eye. It just ain’t fair.

Reactions: MTO

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164