Is the gimbal moving after a photo is taken?

Reaction score
Can anybody confirm that after taking a photo while the P4P is sitting stable on a table, the gimbal does not move at all?

We know that if the Mechanical Shutter is activated then the gimbal moves after a photo is taken, but what happens if the Mechanical Shutter is OFF, i.e. using the Electronic Shutter? Do you still have some movement of the gimbal after every photo taken?

Why would the gimble need to move for the mechanical shutter to fire?
The gimbal must not move when Mechanical Shutter is activated but unfortunately it does. However, I noticed that the gimbal moves even with the electronic shutter (not so much though).

Gimbal twitch when shutter activates

This twitch with shutter was discovered some time ago. The link above will take you to the discussion.
Thank you for your reply, but that thread was about mechanical shutter. What I saw is a twitch even without mechanical shutter. The best way to test it is if you take photos using time intervals, say every 2s, and then see the consecutive photos if they are stable. This will affect for example if you want to do some time lapse videos.

Thank you for your reply, but that thread was about mechanical shutter. What I saw is a twitch even without mechanical shutter. The best way to test it is if you take photos using time intervals, say every 2s, and then see the consecutive photos if they are stable. This will affect for example if you want to do some time lapse videos.

Sorry, then this must be a new problem that wasn't present in the FW during that post. When we discovered the twitch with the mechanical shutter, testing was done without the mechanical and no twitch was noticeable. When I get the opportunity I will test it with the current FW I am using. I am on one version before the most resent, or do you believe that it is only present in the most recent release?

Just completed a test with P4P on the bench, mechanical shutter off, zero twitching with each pic.

Solid as a rock.
Dear Traveler, I must thank you for your time for testing this. Can I ask you, were you monitoring the gimbal as you were taking photos or you checked a sequence of consecutive photos on the screen of your PC/laptop?

Dear Traveler, I must thank you for your time for testing this. Can I ask you, were you monitoring the gimbal as you were taking photos or you checked a sequence of consecutive photos on the screen of your PC/laptop?

Happy to do it.

Both, I watched the gimbal for any movement and I identified three lines in the shot for reference to any change of gimbal movement, physical or virtual. Not a hair off between shots.

I hope this helps.

T...

Happy to do it.

Both, I watched the gimbal for any movement and I identified three lines in the shot for reference to any change of gimbal movement, physical or virtual. Not a hair off between shots.

I hope this helps.

T...
Very kind of you. This confirms that my P4P has an issue, I will contact DJI.

Many thanks!

Happy to do it.

I hope this helps.

T...

I would appreciate it very much if you can take some sequential photos (let's say every 2s) while drone is sitting still on a table, and upload them here, in order to compare it with the behavior of my drone. Would it be that possible for you?

These 4 were taken as frame grabs while recording video.

Next 4 will be with no video occurring and mechanical shutter off.
ffb7fd877963949f0e0750ad9e54a87f.jpg
9fb68696dafd17076748245a46eb021f.jpg
b034ab1ba34a12633c4a9fca76e075b7.jpg
3498ab69d35c8667aab1fdb1496ed8c0.jpg

I would appreciate it very much if you can take some sequential photos (let's say every 2s) while drone is sitting still on a table, and upload them here, in order to compare it with the behavior of my drone. Would it be that possible for you?

While setting these up I did notice that the gimbal will sometimes move left to right or vice versa without any input from me and no pictures being taken. I was using a styrofoam ice chest for a table and I know that has a certain amount of static electricity present. I don't know if that affects the electronics. Beyond my knowledge.

Interested in how this looks compared to what yours is doing.

Here are 4 from inside on a pool table. Mechanical shutter off.

812b2f10f945312aefc65797149297c2.jpg
a3be19bfac21042a938b1a130f89e0ba.jpg
a3b8b75781fc583d281edc0de9888244.jpg
74964ba56afc961645ffe7d9850fd50e.jpg

Yes, I noticed sometimes that the gimbal is moving a little even without touching the RC. I will check that again and I will let you know, however, I do not have access to my P4P until next Sunday.

I checked the 4 photos you took (without video) and I see that the camera does not stay exactly at the same position, am I wrong? Was the drone sitting still?

It was sitting still. It may move slightly, but it's the same movement that happens on its own, not the twitch you get with the mechanical shutter. I don't know if it's caused by compass variation or voltage changes when the picture is taken. Kind of odd, because when I first tested it for you, it had zero movement. Very different than the twitch that the mechanical shutter, as it is so pronounced that it even tilts the horizon.

The most stable of all the samples were from the pool table. Slate vs styrofoam maybe. Of corse in the air, I'm of the opinion that the difference is not really detectable, it never stays 100% free of drone movement.

I'll be giving it more thought.

Bugged by the fact that the shots I took the other day were solidly still vs today's, I started contemplating what other functions of the camera could cause the gimbal to vary slightly, and I think I may have found it.

Hypothesis: The auto focus.

I benched the bird inside for more camera testing and I noticed that every time I lightly pressed the shutter button for focus, the image would almost always move ever so slightly. Next I switched to manual focus and as I used the on screen focus slide, I observed the same movement. Lastly, I set the focus manually and and as I depressed the shutter for a series of pics, no movement.

Now I'm not knowledgeable enough of the mechanics of the camera to know if the focus is achieved by micro motors or purely electronic optics, but it was evident that focusing did cause the slight movement.

Does this sound rational?

T...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers