Is a 3rd party tracker really needed?

Reaction score
So I’m considering putting a 3G gps tracker on my p3p because of the nature of the ground where I fly.
Miles and miles of very big hills and mountains, I mainly sit up top for longer flights.. so can cover a fair few km and still see it through Binoculars.. but if it were to ever go down I’d have a job finding it right ? Or can I just use the app to go to its last location, or even where it landed should it have to...
I’m a little paranoid after nearly losing it a short while after having it ( completely my own fault, flew it without gps with no experience of how to get it back and lost it) found it with the dogs though about a mile away... just kept walking in general direction.
So is another tracker required or can i use the app in a meaningful way to find it... even if battery died or it crashed and burned?
Can get a cheap 3G tracker for about €20 that I could dial it’s number and it would text back it’s location..

Its a backup.

Search results for query: tracker

If you loose remote signal, that is all you have for a location.

I use a Marco Polo.

If Marco isn't ready, I don't start the motors.

I lost a P2V+, its never going to happen again, unless it goes into an ocean or river.

Rod

Last edited:
Please use the Marco Polo system. It costs a little more but is worth it totally.

Reactions: RodPad
There are so many little things that can come up when flying. I try to practice emergency situations and learn my drone well. There are quite a few situations. One is getting your drone back when you are down wind on a windy day. I mentioned this because I live in a mountainous terrain. I have a disability that would keep me from being able to try to retrieve it. Mine are labeled well with my name and phone number. I did lose one in a deep canyon from a intermittent problem it had as a replacement DJI sent me. It was line of site and I could see where it landed. I contacted a nearby lodge in case someone was hiking in the area and found it. They said there are no trails there and it was recommended for only experienced climbers.

I have a single Trackimo 3G tracker and 3D-printed custom holders for it on every drone. So far, it's led to one speedy downed drone recovery. Whichever one you go with, make sure you use it every flight.

Reactions: RodPad
As others have said - its down to whether the model was still Tx'g its position info back to RC / App and you had connection. If you have - then you have perfectly good location fix to find it ...

Here's a video of my going to retrieve my downed P3S (my own fault) ... (all the advice and comments have been made ... its shown to give idea of how to use APP to find it) :

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The single item though that changes all that - is whether you have that last position on screen. I have various 3rd party trackers and a 3D printed mount on my P3P that can carry either my Soloshot 3 camera tag or a tracker. I have to say that even though I lost that P3S - I rarely use a tracker.

OP says a tracker for $20 with 3G ? If so - then that's very good as most trackers under $40 are 2G only.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic