Ipad mini 3 vs. Iphone 6

Reaction score
I flew this morning and noticed that my iPad 3 was lagging terribly. So bad that I had a black screen for 30 seconds or so at a time. Never flew further than 150 feet LOS near my house. I then did a flight with a new battery and with my iPhone 6. I have to tell you the iPhone 6 is Rock solid. No Lag, No black screen.
The only thing I can think of is the iPhone uses the Newer A8X Chip and the iPad 3 uses the older A7 Chip.
I like the larger screen of the iPad mini 3, but now I think I will be using my iPhone 6 for flying.

There does seem to be a significant performance difference between the A7 and A8, at least on paper.

Apple states that the A8 has 25% more CPU performance and 50% more graphics performance while drawing only 50% of the power compared to its predecessor, the Apple A7.

There is a setting for harware acceleration in the app which seems to be recommended for A7 but not for A8. Did you try switching that on. I am flying with an iphone 6 as well. Technically it is briljant. Smooth video and proper bright screen. It is just the screen size that bothers me. I was hoping Ipad mini 3 was equally good but now I hear your story, i am going to wait before investing in one.

I have the iPad mini 3 and hardware acceleration is on. No lags for me.

I fly with an iPhone 6 plus as my primary screen but sub in my iPad mini retina. I've not had any lagging issues with either but I prefer the iPhone 6 Plus. It makes my controller much lighter and I can use my cellular connection for the live maps. My iPad mini retina is WiFi only and I do not have a tethered data plan which limits the iPad a bit (I know about caching maps).

I have the iPad mini 3 and hardware acceleration is on. No lags for me.
Maybe it is a HEAT or OVERHEATING Issue. DO you fly in cool weather. I live in Las Vegas. This morning was 95 degrees. to be fair, during the first 4 or so minutes, i was not getting any lag or black screen with my iPad mini 3.

Maybe it is a HEAT or OVERHEATING Issue. DO you fly in cool weather. I live in Las Vegas. This morning was 95 degrees. to be fair, during the first 4 or so minutes, i was not getting any lag or black screen with my iPad mini 3.

I'm in LA, but don't fly in the heat of day. I thought I read that the mini's max ambient temp is 95 degrees.

That is probably it. Guess I will fly very early or at night. Tough in Las Vegas Vegas with our hot summers

I flew this morning and noticed that my iPad 3 was lagging terribly. So bad that I had a black screen for 30 seconds or so at a time. Never flew further than 150 feet LOS near my house. I then did a flight with a new battery and with my iPhone 6. I have to tell you the iPhone 6 is Rock solid. No Lag, No black screen.
The only thing I can think of is the iPhone uses the Newer A8X Chip and the iPad 3 uses the older A7 Chip.
I like the larger screen of the iPad mini 3, but now I think I will be using my iPhone 6 for flying.

iPhone 6 has the A8 chip, iPad Air 2 has the A8x. Regardless, the A8 chip is much faster than the A7.

i got an iPhone 6 plus last month and sold my iPad mini and galaxy tab 8.4

the 6 plus is great

I use a mini3 > i had no problems until yesterday. The temp. outside was 98 degrees and noticed I lost video a few times. I wondered if the heat had anything to do with the problem. The humidity was 98% also. I have turned on the hardware decode after reading these posts and hope that will help.

I use the mini 3 with hardware decode on... And the iphone 6 with it off... Hope that helps
Yes, he's correct. A7 use hardware decode.
I use a mini3 > i had no problems until yesterday. The temp. outside was 98 degrees and noticed I lost video a few times. I wondered if the heat had anything to do with the problem. The humidity was 98% also. I have turned on the hardware decode after reading these posts and hope that will help.
As I noted in one of the other threads about heat lag, I had an iPad Air 2 on the way to replace my Mini 2 which could not keep up (severe lag) in the hot local summer weather. The iPad 2 arrived yesterday and I had a chance to fly with it, so here's my feedback as promised.

I was fooling myself thinking the smaller Mini 2 screen was fine with a sunshade. The larger screen of the iPad 2 is far nicer, and not at all too large on the RC. Also, the built in glare reduction works very well. I flew without a sunshade and had no issues at all. I could easily see the screen while in the sun. In my opinion, it was much nicer than the add on anti-glare screens which add a very noticeable (to me) blur or distortion that I don't like.

Also, I flew through 3 batteries with FPV smooth as silk. No lag at all that I could tell. The ambient air temp at the time was 97F/36C, so that is very encouraging. This is exactly why I made the switch. The Mini 2 would have been lagging already at that temperature. (Note - the Mini 2 has no lag when I fly in cooler temperatures)

So far I am very happy with my switch from the Mini 2 to the Air 2. I think it should allow me to fly more often during the summer heat, and I love not flying with a big sunshade attached. Just my personal experience. I hope that guy from Utah doesn't turn this into another android/apple war.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic