iPad Air 2 & New Latest iOS App (1.2.0) = No Issues

Reaction score
I had been flying my P3 with my iPad Mini 2 Wifi. It worked great but I did wish I had a cellular connection to get maps realtime instead of using my iPhone 6+ as a hotspot to cache maps right before flying.

I had read posts from here and RC Groups mainly back in May the iPad Air 2 had issues with the Pilot App when Hardware Decode was turned ON in the App. I don't know if this was resolved with the Pilot 1.2.0 App but I took the P3 out and ran her through 3 batteries without issue with Hardware Decode ON. This shouldn't be a issue anymore. I suspect the original issue was with the Pilot App as I hadn't read this being a widespread iPad Air 2 issue with games etc.

It was only 80 degrees today with 54% humidity so not real hot. The iPad didn't get very hot to the touch. Weight wise I did't really feel much of a difference. It wasn't bulky or in the way when I was flying. I did fly it naked without a case as it just barely fits in the DJI mount. I didn't use a shade as I don't have one yet but I always try to fly without a shade anyway. A shade is great but it'll cut down on the iPad's breathing room and could add to the overheating issues some are seeing in hot weather. It also seemed like the iPad Air 2 was a bit brighter than my iPad Mini 2 so this helped.

One thing to note about the new Pilot 1.2.0 App. I like the Map on the bottom right and the compass and speed values on the bottom left. But the map for whatever reason kept reverting back to street view instead of hybrid view every time I quit the App and restarted it. A bit annoying but I am sure DJI will work out that bug. Other than that I didn't notice any other issues with the App and I am glad to see the annoying RTH warning isn't plastered in the center of the screen.

Can you select a Custom Light Bridge channel? Looks like this update broke that feature.
I think it's still there. I browsed by it, thinking of changing it, but decided to leave it auto. The Custom circle was still there.

I think it's still there. I browsed by it, thinking of changing it, but decided to leave it auto. The Custom circle was still there.
It can't be changed anymore, the custom button is there but does not work.

It can't be changed anymore, the custom button is there but does not work.
Well that sucks. I sometimes like to reduce the video feed there and/or choose the least-interfered channel. But going by the questions around here, most simply did not know how to use it. So I guess DJI removed another potential noob mistake factory.

Glad to hear the news as I will be flying my new Air 2 later today, my Mini 2 didn't cut it in hot weather, as I normally don't fly further out than a mile the loss of custom channel selection won't be a big issue (I hope) My Air 2 is naked also as I to am waiting on a shade, gave the Mini shade to a member as I didn't need it any longer.

Just went into the custom channel and mine worked fine. I was able to still change channels. iOS App 1.2.0

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

What app are you all using to capture video of your FPV/iPad screen while flying?

Well, just got back from flying 3 packs on my new Air 2, must say it is MUCH better than the Mini 2, with hardware acceleration turned off it barely got warm to the touch where as the Mini 2 got hot. almost 90º out and no lag or blips in the video, but no case or shade either, the shade will be here soon but standing under a tree I could see the screen just fine. Love the bigger screen, and bigger icons and text. The Air 2 doesn't seem to be much heaver than the Mini (100gr) and just fits the holder.

Reactions: Oso
Well, just got back from flying 3 packs on my new Air 2, must say it is MUCH better than the Mini 2, with hardware acceleration turned off it barely got warm to the touch where as the Mini 2 got hot. almost 90º out and no lag or blips in the video, but no case or shade either, the shade will be here soon but standing under a tree I could see the screen just fine. Love the bigger screen, and bigger icons and text. The Air 2 doesn't seem to be much heaver than the Mini (100gr) and just fits the holder.
Outstanding. I was hoping the Air 2 would work for you. Did you use the new app, or still on the older? If new, did you get the gimbal overload errors? I haven't been out flying in a few days due to this tournament in Reno. I'm busting to get back in the air.

Outstanding. I was hoping the Air 2 would work for you. Did you use the new app, or still on the older? If new, did you get the gimbal overload errors? I haven't been out flying in a few days due to this tournament in Reno. I'm busting to get back in the air.
I am on the new app, no gimbal overload warnings during an hour of flying, thing flew like a dream. I must say I haven't had ANY of the issues some are reporting, but I am detail orientated and double check everything. I did have slanted Horizon on one flight, corrected it on the fly (sic) with gimbal roll adjustment, other 2 flights were fine. I am thinking the bird was not even close to lever where I took off so the gimbal didn't get a good initialization on that flight.

Reactions: Oso
I had the gimbal overload warning right after the update and changing shock absorbers to the 30° ones recommended by a couple of posts on here. All my video was very choppy after putting on the 30s. I switched back to stock ones, the error went away as did the choppiness.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31