Iowa looking to ban all drones.

Reaction score
Saw this in the DJI forum. Sort of scary if they do pass it and other states get on board.

Senate Study Bill 3033 (http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/linc/85/external/SSB3033_Introduced.pdf)

Description:
Except as provided, a person shall not use a remotely operated aerial vehicle anywhere in the state unless a person obtains a permit.

Tracking Site:
Iowa Legislature (Iowa Legislature)

1/17 - Recorded, assigned Judiciary Comm

Last edited by a moderator:
Invasion of privacy hysteria... I know this is a redundant response but what about Google Maps vehicles and county aerial photos of properties and plots?...

Invasion of privacy hysteria... I know this is a redundant response but what about Google Maps vehicles and county aerial photos of properties and plots?...
They probably will get permission.

The proposed law doesn't prohibit flying entirely--just get authorization. (I know, I know...easier said than done!). :(

The legislative process is rife with silly bills that end up going nowhere. I think we can safely ignore this until it at least gets out of committee. If it does. Which is unlikely..

On the subject of hysteria...

Requiring a permit is not a ban. Using that logic, Iowa has banned automobiles.

They regulate the ground you launch from.

Yeah, that is likely the route they'd take as they have no say over the airspace other than to request temporary restrictions for sporting events etc.

But, having to get a permit for every flight could be so onerous as to make it a ban by another name. Imagine requiring much paperwork and a few months of processing for each permit and every flight requiring it's own permit. It would not technically be a ban, but if the effect is the same...

A lot of these efforts to ban or restrict drones are coming from corporate interests that would prefer that the prying eyes of the public not see what they're doing. A few years ago an envirnomental group flew a drone past a large ranch in Texas and caught them dumping agricultural waste into a creak. Did the ranch owner get in trouble for it -- why no he didn't, but within a week he'd managed to convice the local government to ban drones around his property.

Brian

Reactions: GMack
Yeah, those permits get hideously expensive. In Los Angeles, Film LA starts the permit process at $660 and then it climbs. I tried getting one for a Nat. Forest and it shot up to $2,200 for three hours and find a whole lot of places get into the mix for the money. Even something like crossing a county line where your are not a resident gets you into business license mess with that county and more fees from them and their local film commission both, an assigned monitior, and maybe their roads department too. It's a bunch of hands sticking out for your wallet to say nothing of the ACORD 25 insurance needs that go upwards of $4 million to even start the process.

Basically, you cannot get to the point with a permit where you cannot fly for less than maybe $2,000 per day. Think about it.

Big in the BBC news today over here. Drone spotted 66feet from an Airbus's wing. Pilot said it was 20 inches wide. Supposed to have happened over London in July this year.

All happened as the plane was 4,900 feet ASL!!! The interference alone in the city would have prevented a working signal reaching the drone or vice versa. I think we will see more and more unidentified objects been blamed on drones.

Can expect the UK to bring in Rules/Laws sooner than later. Bloody media hype!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic