Invasion of Privacy

GFields

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Drone pilots, professional or recreational that use their drones to invade other's privacy are causing problems for everyone. Many have their concerns, even fear, of drones and when the news reports "peeping" drones it escalates these concerns and fears. It forces lawmakers to impose local regulations on drone restrictions.

The question that I have is, if you knew who this was, would you help report or protect the pilot?

This invasion of privacy happened in the St. Louis Area

Drone pilots, professional or recreational that use their drones to invade other's privacy are causing problems for everyone. Many have their concerns, even fear, of drones and when the news reports "peeping" drones it escalates these concerns and fears. It forces lawmakers to impose local regulations on drone restrictions.

The question that I have is, if you knew who this was, would you help report or protect the pilot?

I would absolutely report the illegal activity (flying at night). “Peeping” is a conclusion.

Why? At the end of that news video the guy mentions that there are several new laws being discussed and I for one am getting tired of idiots (literally) like this.

I find it hard to believe that's a drone. Hard to tell what it is.
Close quarters for daytime flying, let alone try to peep at 4am with a drone that sounds like angry bees. Fishy story
Looks more like a commercial for Wyse Cam. They mentioned it by name 4 times, showed multiple pictures, named the price as well as the features of the camera. someone got paid.

The answer to your question is YES, I would turn in (and or beat down) a peeping tom no matter what type of equipment was being used

Close quarters for daytime flying, let alone try to peep at 4am with a drone that sounds like angry bees. Fishy story
Looks more like a commercial for Wyse Cam. They mentioned it by name 4 times, showed multiple pictures, named the price as well as the features of the camera. someone got paid.

The answer to your question is YES, I would turn in (and or beat down) a peeping tom no matter what type of equipment was being used

Interesting, I hadn’t even noticed that! (the emphasis on that camera)

Reactions: O6-Hammerhead

Although the Wyse Cam is mentioned, they are not affiliated with KMOV or FOX that both reported this. In my opinion the emphasis is on the drone being used to invade a person's privacy and irresponsible drone pilots that are causing forced regulations that may hurt us all. I would hate to not be able to do a real estate job becuase of local laws resticting drone use.

Reactions: Papa@NBTX
I would turn them in. I would not buy the Wyse system (there are better ones). Finally, do people not think to close their curtains/shades at night? In addition, why would a news organization mention the cost of her surveillance camera system? They wouldn’t. Also, the “article” says “For less than $30...”. Is that $30/day, $30/month, $30/yr? Poorly written “article”. If the writer worked for MY station, he/she would be looking for a new job now.

Reactions: MTO and Geoelectro
I would absolutely report the illegal activity (flying at night). “Peeping” is a conclusion.

Why? At the end of that news video the guy mentions that there are several new laws being discussed and I for one am getting tired of idiots (literally) like this.
Where does it say flying at night is illegal? Last time I read if you follow rules of a local community based organization such as the AMA and have proper lighting it's not illegal to fly at night. All my flying is done at night. No complaints from neighbors or police. You don't have to be a member of the AMA to follow their guidelines.

Last edited:
Night flying is not restricted for hobby pilots. Part 107 pilots require a Daytime Flight Waiver. That is a common misconception. This video explains that well:

From watching the video, I'd say that the object cannot really be a drone. For it to hold position tilted at that angle would require there to be a very strong and remarkably consistent wind field. Those kinds of cameras are notorious for IR-illumination artifacts and internal reflections of distant lights.

Although the Wyse Cam is mentioned, they are not affiliated with KMOV or FOX that both reported this.
I didn't say people were getting paid LEGALLY. He was blatantly urging people to buy that exact camera. The people who wrote the copy (poor copy as Pharm mentioned) got kick backs, no doubt in my mind.
Also as i stated previously, i seriously doubt someone was flying a noisy drone in tight quarters, in the dark, to look in a dark window at 4am (what do you expect was going on at 4am in that woman's house that was so intriguing?).

callmethestreak.jpg

All I saw were 4 streaking lights (like UFO sightings of old). There was also a horizontal streak across the video at one point. Was that also a drone??

Where does it say flying at night is illegal? Last time I read if you follow rules of a local community based organization such as the AMA and have proper lighting it's not illegal to fly at night. All my flying is done at night. No complaints from neighbors or police. You don't have to be a member of the AMA to follow their guidelines.

Thank you! I stand corrected! I never really flew my drone(s) recreationally and have kind of assumed that the rules about: 400’, nite-flying, flying over crowds etc., would surely apply to rec ops as well. Thanks for schooling me!

As far as AMA goes, “RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times”, maybe the pilot in that newsreel is an AMA member?

first off we all know there is no way any drone could see in her window at 4 am or any other time . someone is out playing with there drone late at night and screwing with this women . the mis leading story of the drone peeping is garbage . and it's bad reporting that is putting a bad name on drones. you could see the drone in the camera it wasn't just hovering there and all lights were out in the house so nothing could be seen . still this person should not be dropping down into someones back yard probably someone she knows a friend screwing with her .And after looking at the video a few more times this story is a joke .

Reactions: WWI Flying Ace
It doesn't look like any drone, watching it at the right moment as the background changes there is no substance to it nothing behind those what are I guess assumed to be "lights" of a drone.

What I believe it is, I have cameras covering our lot, a spider web with egg balls or dust stuck to it streaming in the breeze. It takes very little air movement on a dead still night to cause a spider web streamer act like that. See it often here with mine.

The cameras IR lights creating that effect, looks like lights where there are no lights. You can clearly see the leaves on the tree behind it and right between those "lights" when it goes high in the video, if it was a flying hunk of plastic you'd see it at that moment, it'd block the view of those leaves.

That and drones tend to hover level rather than cocked over to some 30 odd deg angle.

Someone should take a much better look at the video instead of chasing tails creating issues that don't appear to me to exist.

when watching the video hear how they added the sound of a drone . after reading others posts and viewing again i would agree it's not a drone at all

I don't the video conclusively shows that it's a drone. It could be one, but the video quality is so poor that you couldn't really make that determination. Also, if you look at other video of the woman's backyard, it's pretty cluttered. It would be pretty yard to fly a drone in the the dark in that location without it crashing into something.

There's so much in this that doesn't add up.
A drone is the world's worst spying machine and anyone silly enough to try spying with one would quickly be very disappointed.
But even if they did work as spy toys, why would someone be want to be looking into her window at 4am when everything is completely dark?
Add the extra detail of the area being very unsuitable for drone flying and the doubtful nature of the camera evidence.
I'd say the story is 100% bunkum.

What dumba$$ would fly up to a dark window at night, with the drone lights on? It doesn't fly like a drone, the positioning of the lights doesn't make sense to me, either. What drone can you look straight at and see 4 equally spaced lights in a row, at an angle, to boot. I especially like the way they hyped the story with their own drone footage (or a simulation thereof).
Oh, well. More negative crap for us to overcome.

And yes, I would definitely turn in a pervert, with a drone, ladder, or just binoculars.

Reactions: WWI Flying Ace

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl