Interesting LAPD try to explain the law to drone pilot

I think when they originally envisaged youtube they actually envisaged tubes like this guy posting video's. He is the definition of a tube . Provoking the police like this will accomplish nothing and all these stunts will be taken into consideration when new legislation is written to govern drones and how they are used .

Suwaneeguy said:
Clipper, not exactly correct about the navy ship scene.
It was parked in a city park. Active? I don't think so.
The cops were port authority and they were stationed between the parking lot and the ship.
They had watched the launch and landing within the park grounds.
The city law he referred to is correct. You can not launch or land within the city park.
Had he done the same thing from across the street, the cops could do nothing.
Oh and the cop had the city code written on his hand so that means he probably did not know the actual code and asked someone what it was.
The bird was confiscated for evidence.

Thanks for the link to the video, Suwaneeguy. The police officer tells Mr. Zebra the Navy requested them to make contact with him and don't want the drone flying over (1m56s).

Whether or not the officer looked up the code himself, he was able to cite it when needed and Mr. Zebra knew nothing about it, but still chose to insult the officer afterwards. "Most of the police I meet...they never know the code they're talking about...I'm surprised that you actually do."

You're right about flying over LA Harbor vs launching and recovering from a city park.

City park or not, that is very much an active US Navy San Antonio-class amphibious ship berthed (parked) directly astern of the decommissioned USS Iowa.

eckoner said:
And Tom Zebra does not represent me as a pilot or hobbyist, i represent myself and you should too...

Respectfully, I disagree with you, eckoner.

We are all ambassadors of the hobby, positive or negative, whether we think so or not.

eckoner said:
There is a need for what hes doing and you likely could seriously disagree if you happen to not belong to a minority group or live in an urban city with crime spikes.
I could not disagree with you more...there is absolutely NO need for what he is doing. If you think he represents you or some minority in showing police brutality, then I maintain he is the absolute worst person you could choose to fight that battle for you. Every one of his videos shows a very hostile person being rude, confrontational, trying to provoke, and generally an A-hole, toward the police. His videos are a mish mash of innuendoes trying to create perspectives that are just not there, full of insults toward the police and in every one of his videos, the police come off as being incredibly calm and in control of a very hostile situation he tries to create. He is a complete and utter failure at what he is trying to do. You are backing the wrong horse here. Anyone with half a brain could get better results. I maintain you need to separate the cause you feel needs fighting, and the idiot you seem to be backing to fight it for you.
eckoner said:
I dont agree with all of his tactics but im happy someone is out there attempting to keep those paid to protect us from harming us and i understand if you disagree it simply tells me you must happen to have been born on the other side of the racial divide!
You do not know me at all, nor do you have any understanding of what side of the racial divide I am on. You are jumping to a conclusion here as well as you are jumping to a conclusion that he is a good representative of any cause you may be behind.
eckoner said:
And Tom Zebra does not represent me as a pilot or hobbyist, i represent myself and you should too and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing especially when you have not one ounce of control to stop him or silence him.
Thanks for clearing that up. Hey when someone promotes his videos and tries to insinuate he has an ounce of credibility in what he is doing, sure I will speak out. That is my right as well as it is, his, to speak out. Does it make you feel better to tell someone what you think he should or should not do in this scenerio?
eckoner said:
Let him keep it up and he will right his own jail sentence sooner or later.
Ah, we do agree on something, at least.

GoodnNuff said:
SteveMann said:
Khudson7 said:
His use of a drone is a new tool in his arsenal to promote his agenda, and I think he is really doing major damage in portraying a very negative image around UAV use.
How? You are blaming the hammer, not the carpenter. He is just a fool who uses cameras and recording devices in his attempt to provoke the police. Does his lunacy somehow damage the portrayal of cameras?

So you're saying that each time legislators, or Joe Public, or LEO, or representatives from the FAA or NTSB see a video of a fool and his flying camera, it has no affect on their feelings toward drones and current laws?
+1...You the man, GoodnNuff. Could not have answered that better myself.
Steve, I probably did not express that sentence well. I thought it was obvious I was blaming the carpenter(Zebra) for using his hammer(Phantom) in a way that some outsiders(FAA, negative press, and others against the open use of drones) will use to further their negative agenda against us and our hobby.

Clipper707 said:
eckoner said:
And Tom Zebra does not represent me as a pilot or hobbyist, i represent myself and you should too...

Respectfully, I disagree with you, eckoner.

We are all ambassadors of the hobby, positive or negative, whether we think so or not.

Yeah but what you do is not going to effect me for the most part. If you go out right now and fly your quad into Joe's head in Florida i dont see how that impacts me today in California.

Regulation is happening and its not because of one incident ...its because when you put hundreds of thousands if not millions of anything into the hands of the public you have to eventually regulate it and there is no way around that.

Khudson7 said:
eckoner said:
There is a need for what hes doing and you likely could seriously disagree if you happen to not belong to a minority group or live in an urban city with crime spikes.
I could not disagree with you more...there is absolutely NO need for what he is doing. If you think he represents you or some minority in showing police brutality, then I maintain he is the absolute worst person you could choose to fight that battle for you. Every one of his videos shows a very hostile person being rude, confrontational, trying to provoke, and generally an A-hole, toward the police. His videos are a mish mash of innuendoes trying to create perspectives that are just not there, full of insults toward the police and in every one of his videos, the police come off as being incredibly calm and in control of a very hostile situation he tries to create. He is a complete and utter failure at what he is trying to do. You are backing the wrong horse here. Anyone with half a brain could get better results. I maintain you need to separate the cause you feel needs fighting, and the idiot you seem to be backing to fight it for you.
eckoner said:
I dont agree with all of his tactics but im happy someone is out there attempting to keep those paid to protect us from harming us and i understand if you disagree it simply tells me you must happen to have been born on the other side of the racial divide!
You do not know me at all, nor do you have any understanding of what side of the racial divide I am on. You are jumping to a conclusion here as well as you are jumping to a conclusion that he is a good representative of any cause you may be behind.
eckoner said:
And Tom Zebra does not represent me as a pilot or hobbyist, i represent myself and you should too and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing especially when you have not one ounce of control to stop him or silence him.
Thanks for clearing that up. Hey when someone promotes his videos and tries to insinuate he has an ounce of credibility in what he is doing, sure I will speak out. That is my right as well as it is, his, to speak out. Does it make you feel better to tell someone what you think he should or should not do in this scenerio?
eckoner said:

Well i think this is kinda going off topic and can derail this useful conversation but....
I agree in saying he is not one anyone would actually select to represent them in any nature, I have met him and i can tell you hes not the guy you are going to be compelled to sit down and have a beer with.

However if he prevents one bad cop from killing an innocent person because he was simply nearby then i would say and most other humans would agree that what hes doing is then worth it unless you are one who feel there is no problem in most neighborhoods in larger cities with high numbers of minorities. Which is why i can understand some not understanding this at all.

I bet none of you have been beat up by a cop for doing nothing wrong! I have and i continue to support them as a whole because just like this forum some here are good peeps and some here are creeps

eckoner said:
Khudson7 said:
eckoner said:
eckoner said:
eckoner said:
eckoner said:

Well i think this is kinda going off topic and can derail this useful conversation but....
I agree in saying he is not one anyone would actually select to represent them in any nature, I have met him and i can tell you hes not the guy you are going to be compelled to sit down and have a beer with.

However if he prevents one bad cop from killing an innocent person because he was simply nearby then i would say and most other humans would agree that what hes doing is then worth it unless you are one who feel there is no problem in most neighborhoods in larger cities with high numbers of minorities. Which is why i can understand some not understanding this at all.

I bet none of you have been beat up by a cop for doing nothing wrong! I have and i continue to support them as a whole because just like this forum some here are good peeps and some here are creeps

Tell you what Ekoner...you link me to ONE (1) youtube video where Daniel Saulmon aka Tom Zebra halts an illegal arrest, intervenes in a case of police brutality, or records illegal activity by the police, and I'll give you some credit.

Because all I can find is Mr. Saulman SEEKING a confrontation with police, making a fool of himself, and accomplishing nothing but showing what an annoying twit he is to those who wear badges (and who remain incredibly patient in dealing with this jerk).

GoodnNuff said:
Tell you what Ekoner...you link me to ONE (1) youtube video where Daniel Saulmon aka Tom Zebra halts an illegal arrest, intervenes in a case of police brutality, or records illegal activity of the police, and I'll give you some credit.

Because all I can find is Mr. Saulman SEEKING a confrontation with police, making a fool of himself, and accomplishing nothing but showing what an annoying twit he is to those who wear badges (and who remain incredibly patient in dealing with this jerk).

Gosh lol you guys are making me defend this guy...lol that was not my intent all im saying is he actually is pretty passionate about doing what he does and he does it with "positive intent" ...would i do it no friggin way but hey to each his own.

However with that said i will find info showing he has done some good i remember seeing the footage myself which was taken down during an investigation. I know its hard to imagine but he accidentally did some good last year.

eckoner said:
GoodnNuff said:
Tell you what Ekoner...you link me to ONE (1) youtube video where Daniel Saulmon aka Tom Zebra halts an illegal arrest, intervenes in a case of police brutality, or records illegal activity of the police, and I'll give you some credit.

Gosh lol you guys are making me defend this guy...lol that was not my intent all im saying is he actually is pretty passionate about doing what he does and he does it with "positive intent" ...would i do it no friggin way but hey to each his own.

However with that said i will find info showing he has done some good i remember seeing the footage myself which was taken down during an investigation. I know its hard to imagine but he accidentally did some good last year.

You just posted on another link that he is responsible for getting two cops fired. Still waiting for a link to that...

Goodnnuff....im sure you know how to use google as you seem more interested than anyone else but if you cant find it i will put in some leg work for you lol and i dont want you to give me credit haha im not a kid looking for acceptance :)

Meta4 said:
This is Tom Zebra. He doesn't do anything"just for fun".
He makes a career out of annoying cops.

Indeed he does. Always pushing the envelope. I assume he never plans on calling 911 in an emergency.

eckoner said:
I know its hard to imagine but he accidentally did some good last year.

Even a broken clock is accurate twice a day.

Admittedly, I don't choose to watch a lot of Tom Zebra videos, but those I've seen have done more to highlight the professionalism of LAPD more than anything else.

eckoner said:
Thanks for sharing that…yes I would guess you are exactly right, based on what I can see from his videos, I would not want to have a beer with him.
eckoner said:
I do think I understand the underlying point and there is a need out there to fight the injustices that are happening by many rogue cops that we constantly hear about on the news. There are many out there that are fighting this battle from the White House, on down. Obama wants to put body cameras on all police, as just one example of so many out there working toward resolving this real issue that is plaguing your country right now.

My whole reaction was based on what I see and read about this 42 year old unemployed guy, who, appears to me, very arrogantly, to have self appointed himself to fight this battle on his own, and he does it in a way that is very confrontational, anger provoking, and in a disgusting manner. And the bottom line, is ALL of the videos I can stand to watch, shows a rather large police force making him look like a fool. His videos do not work as he intended, he is a complete failure at what he is trying to do. Although maybe in his over 100 videos out there, there may be one or two, I have yet to see any that proves the point he is trying to make. Quite the opposite in fact..

I see him as such a failure and his personality so abrasive, I find it hard to understand why anyone would use his videos in any credible way. Just my opinion.
eckoner said:
And no, I have been fortunate not to have experienced this, and it pains me deeply to hear that you have. I really do hope that others can bring this very serious problem, under control.

Anyone doing this should be warned...then banned if continuing, from operating ANY air borne device. Much like a drunk driver after a number of DWI arrests. You get your rights taken away because you are so much of a danger to yourself and other living things around you. If I saw a dude on a ladder that tall with a camera taking pictures of central police station.....that in itself is provoking a confrontation. Idiot.

**** these people doing that. More Ferguson "activist" bullsshit. Stirring up trouble for no reason.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik