Interested in some wisdom from those who have done repairs.

Reaction score
Hey friends,

I've had my P4P for about a month, and been loving it. I've done multiple test flights and while still certainly inexperienced, I would consider myself a fairly cautious pilot.

That is until this evening when I trusted the CA far more than I should and I hit the wall of a tennis court, about 12 feet or so in the air and slid down it to ground. Somehow, the battery was ejected during my RUD (rapid unplanned descent), so the bird powered down just as it his the court below. Amazingly, the housing itself has not a scratch, and the battery was not punctured or damaged in any visible way. It lights as expected. I did break a prop, but that's obviously an easy replacement.

After further inspection, I have two apparent issues, and I'm interested in your thoughts on the feasibility of me doing these repairs myself.

1. Upon boot up, the drone connects to my controller as usual, I have visual, the gimbal is snapping into place, and I can even run a gimbal calibration with absolutely no problems. If I pick up the drone and move it, the gimbal rotates and appears to be functioning with no issues. However, DJI GO says it has no visual connection to the Drone (despite me seeing just fine in the app) reports that the "Phantom Gimbal and Main Controller are Disconnected". To me, this sounds like I may have popped a cable out of place and that fixing this issue might be as simple as finding that connection and plugging her back in. Any thoughts on this error, and other, larger, complications I may need to consider?

2. Secondly, after inspection of my motors, one of them has a noticeable "grind" feel when I try to turn it. Sort of like metal scraping metal when you first try to spin it, though once it gets moving it feels okay. At the least, I think I may have gotten some gravel from the court into the motor, and at the worst I'm afraid that I may have broken something physical within the motor.

I know the motors themselves are a fairly cheap part to buy replacement for, do any of you have experience doing a swap, and how challenging is it?

I plan to begin some preliminary dissasembly this evening to see if I can resolve the gimbal camera problem, but I am interested in your collective wisdom on whether these two issues are reasonably fixable, or if I'm better off sending it in and suffering through the cost+time lost. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

1. No comment on the first. Good luck; there are only a thousand connections inside the thing.
2. I have done a motor and ESC replacement on a Phantom 1. It requires some soldering, and that's okay if you are okay with that and patient. Yes, it sounds like a gravel in the motor thing. That said, you will need to recalibrate the motors if you do an ESC or motor swap. Otherwise you might find that the thing flips over on takeoff. Consider how much you have invested and whether you want a hobby that includes soldering and tinkering.

I have replaced alot of parts on friends p4 never had to do a motor esc calib. U do have to desolder motors from esc if need be. But i think your problem might be the prop mount so with prop off check that motor and wiggle prop mount by hand make sure those 3 little screws are tight . U need a 1.5mm hex. That will cause that sound u describe if loose. After my friends crash he had two that came loose just inspect and make sure they are visually ok and not cracked or broken. Also dont worry about loc tite those screws have a loctite formula pre prepped already on screws. Reason why they do this with most screws is because loc tite is very bad for plastic especially in liquid form, it will actually degrade plastic. So like i sd dont worry about that. Now if u do disassemble be careful take your time its not for the faint of heart. The gimbal housing would come off first it is connected with a small white plug and ribbon cable that pops out by lifting black plastic flap. This will be covered by a piece of metal bar that u will need to take a first should have 2 screws. Everything is fragile but after those 2 plugs are off the gimbal housing is free...i attached 2 pictures one is the 2 plugs u will have to disconnect and the second is from where they will disconnect and is also where the protective piece of metal will have to be taken off first before disconnection. P4p may be a little diff but this should be fairly similar

Attachments

• 20170115_152944.jpg
    20170115_152944.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 333
  • 20170115_152852.jpg
    20170115_152852.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Reactions: MedicFL1
No experience opening a P4, but the P3 's have the ESC on the mainboard. I replaced more than one of those (motors) with no recalibration, never heard of that...

Correct but what I did have to calibrate after I put my friends Phantom 4 back together was the vision sensors I guess because when you unplug everything. Then put them back together I guess it's thinks they are new? I don't know but i did have to calibrate ..... after that everything's peachy.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik