Intelligent Mode: Could not exit Tap Fly

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem exiting an Intelligent mode? I have completed all the latest updates. Today while after flying in 'TapFly' mode I tried to exit to 'Normal', and it gave a warning message that it could not exit or enter another mode. Any ideas or suggestions? Active Track worked fine before trying the TapFly mode. Second time this has happened in TapFly. There won't be a third until I know what's going on.

Has anyone had a problem exiting an Intelligent mode? I have completed all the latest updates. Today while after flying in 'TapFly' mode I tried to exit to 'Normal', and it gave a warning message that it could not exit or enter another mode. Any ideas or suggestions? Active Track worked fine before trying the TapFly mode. Second time this has happened in TapFly. There won't be a third until I know what's going on.
14913692247821298610382.jpg
sorry about bad pictureis this method not working

What did you do to exit the tap fly mode?

Thank you for asking. Again, I ran into the same problem in yet another intelligent mode. I was in 'Tripod' today and it would not exit. I attempted multiple screen taps on the 'STOP' icon, pushed the 'pause' button

Thank you very much for offering to help and asking. I attempted a number of tap the 'STOP' button, and pushed the pause button. Today, the same thing happened in 'Tripod' mode - could not exit. Any ideas?

I may have just discovered the problem - hopefully. I'm at home and just a few minutes ago I turned on the controller and connected to the P4P to check on camera settings. At connection (with WIFI) I received a warning notification that there was a an incompatible firmware match between the controller and P4P and that it could cause control issues. It needed to do a download/upload, so hopefully that was the problem. I'll try again tomorrow and see.

I may have just discovered the problem - hopefully. I'm at home and just a few minutes ago I turned on the controller and connected to the P4P to check on camera settings. At connection (with WIFI) I received a warning notification that there was a an incompatible firmware match between the controller and P4P and that it could cause control issues. It needed to do a download/upload, so hopefully that was the problem. I'll try again tomorrow and see.
The easiest way to deal with that sort of problem is to flick the switch on the left side of your controller back to P.

Thanks for that suggestion. That was one of the first things I checked, to see what flight mode I was in. I was in 'P' (GPS), not Sport or Atti mode. To make sure the software didn't think I was in 'P', I went to 'Atti' mode for a 10-20 seconds, then back to 'P', and still no luck on exiting the Intell mode.

I am having the same problem (Phantom 4 Pro Plus). The other intelligent modes seem to work fine and return to normal mode fine but the tap fly just won't return to normal after stopping the mode.

IMG_1392.jpg
I too have had that problem. There are several ways to exit a flight mode, I tried them all. Pause button, "A-S-P" mode switch, and STOP circle on screen. I was able to fly manually, land the drone, turn it off, and then try start up. I did find that the software on the controller and drone was not in sync. Getting both the controller and drone at the same level seemed to reduce the frequency of this glitch, but not eliminate it. Concerned. Will do more thorough testing when I can get out onto a large clear field.

Update: I went out today and, at first, was able to get out and into TapFly Mode. I continued until I got to a point when I could NOT exit TapFly. It seemed to return to "Normal" mode but would not let me enter a mode other than TapFly. The image above happened when I tried to go to ActiveTrack Mode.

DJI ... what goes here? This is a confidence issue!

Last edited:
Some flight modes don't seem to work if you start to low. Try 20 feet or more. I also had trouble one day because I accidently left the video camera running. Make sure you're not still rolling. Don't know why any of that would matter, but I've run into it myself.

I also know from a few DJI videos that some of the flight modes won't start if your battery is less than 50%. Active track is one that's like that, don' t know about the others.

I am finding that when using an iPad or iPhone the problem is less persistent; when using the P4P+ attached monitor, it happens more. DJI should either document in detail getting into and out of the intelligent modes or reprogram them. I find that unexpected outcomes is the death of any code. As a result, I feel forced to run in manual mode all of the time so that I can get consistent and expected results. In many cases, I can't even switch between video and still image cameras. Sometimes, the TapFly speed changed when I tap the camera switching icon. No really ... this code was NOT ready for release!!!

Some flight modes don't seem to work if you start to low. Try 20 feet or more. I also had trouble one day because I accidently left the video camera running. Make sure you're not still rolling. Don't know why any of that would matter, but I've run into it myself.

I also know from a few DJI videos that some of the flight modes won't start if your battery is less than 50%. Active track is one that's like that, don' t know about the others.

Thanks for your input. l'll test the 20' and the 50% conditions next time I try to change modes. I also find that I can't switch between "sub-modes". For example, from "trace" to "spotlight" to "profile". IMO flaky code.

Yep. We should start our own club. Had exactly the same problem today. My drone is only a few days old. All the software is current. The RC says the firmware is up to date.

I did a tap fly and it began to wander off course so I tapped the STOP button. Nothing
I went from P to A at the rear and back again. Nothing.
I pulled back on the joy stick and it simply flew backwards for the 10 seconds i held it there.

I managed to get it back to me but if I let go of the controls whatever direction the camera was pointing it decided that was the Tap Fly direction. Bit disconcerting that when you let go of the controls instead of hovering it decides to visit a distant housing estate. I got it back and even as it landed it wanted to fly off in to a hedge. At one point it turned into a grass strimmer and I now have a lovely green prop.

It also would not respond to the video button/s. Nor the photograph buttons. I am really starting to regret buying this. The year or so regular flying my P3P never had problems like this.

Oh yes the icing on the cake. Flying yesterday and the screen went black. Fun eh?

Yep. We should start our own club. Had exactly the same problem today. My drone is only a few days old. All the software is current. The RC says the firmware is up to date.

I did a tap fly and it began to wander off course so I tapped the STOP button. Nothing
I pulled back on the joy stick and it simply flew backwards for the 10 seconds i held it there.

I managed to get it back to me but if I let go of the controls whatever direction the camera was pointing it decided that was the Tap Fly direction. Bit disconcerting that when you let go of the controls instead of hovering it decides to visit a distant housing estate. I got it back and even as it landed it wanted to fly off in to a hedge. At one point it turned into a grass strimmer and I now have a lovely green prop.

It also would not respond to the video button/s. Nor the photograph buttons. I am really starting to regret buying this. The year or so regular flying my P3P never had problems like this.

Oh yes the icing on the cake. Flying yesterday and the screen went black. Fun eh?

I believe TapFly mode should be called "Maintain Course, Speed and Altitude" mode. It's purpose is to continue to fly the drone based on it's last setting. You Tap to start it off, but you can continue to manually use the Joy Sticks to adjust Course, Speed, and Altitude. When you let go, it will continue by holding your setting steady. This is good for many video applications. Standard Mode should be called "Hoover" Mode because it is designed to hoover when you let the sticks go.

So ... the issue is, if you want to exit "Maintain Course, Speed, and Altitude" (TapFly) Mode, and go to another mode, like "Tripod" Mode, you can't. It also appears to me that most of the Intelligent Flight Modes as for video. You don't really need them for still image flying. So ... when in TapFly mode, I can't seem to change the camera mode from video to still image. If the documentation were better (up to speed) we would not be getting such unexpected results!

It would be nice to exit TTFM. I could not start or exit video as the button did not respond. Nor could I take photos. I will sort this. Just hoping DJI will help too, I have emailed them.

As I said I will sort this, just takes time and a bit of fiddling and logic. o_O

Last edited:
Update. (yes it is a double posting, but I thought it may be helpful to these guys. )

I went out this afternoon to try and sort out these problems. On the video recording software side I de-selected each and every setting then re-selected. It often works on software on car computers so I tried it on the RC. Sort of jogging software out of a loop or problem.

Next I went out to fly. Once in the air I tried flying in Tap Fly Mode (TFM) when it was not too far away I tapped on "Stop" waited for 10+ seconds and eventually it turned from Stop to the TF icon and the drone actually halted, phew. :oops:. I tapped the TF icon, waited another 6 or more seconds and eventually It went into the mode screen. I tapped "normal" , the one with the RC icon. The screen re-appeared out of the TTFM. So the solution seems to be grit your teeth and just wait. Eventually it will stop. Did not re-try the 'pause' button nor the other methods, decided to quit whilst ahead.

The other problem I had not being able to start recording. After my efforts earlier in the software, dont know if it was a coincidence, but that started and stopped great. I can now record video and take photos mid flight.

Now I have a nice video and a little confidence back in the drone. So its not going back just yet.

I'm having the same problem, just as described above. Draw and tap to fly are the 2 modes that I'm having trouble with. I almost bought an Inspire, glad I didnt , enough spent already on this one. I'd really have been upset.

I wanted to comment on this as well as I experienced this same issue today while flying. I have a P4P+ as well. This was my first time trying to use TapFly. However, the pause button would work for me and the stop button would sometimes work but was significantly delayed (5 seconds) I would be able to manually fly it back land and restart P4P and controller. It caused the same issue of not being able to return to "normal" mode and tried everything that was mentioned above as well with no success.

It did cause many other issues like altitude, speed, distance and more importantly battery all read incorrectly. Several batteries I went through testing this and controller would read 40%+ and then would start getting the 30% low battery alarm and the P4P would start flashing red on the rear LEDs. This was not very comforting and when I would land it the battery was indeed flashing lower than the controller indicated. when I would have the P4P landed it would still be reading and updating the altitude at 100+ ft. Several times I could get it to look like it had returned to normal by backing out of the flight screen and going to the main DJI app and then going back in. Then I could avoid the "cannot enter the selected flight mode" message and I could select "normal" however it didn't correct the battery altitude distance displaying incorrect data. Even though I could force it into normal I'm not confident it was really in "normal" but the screen would indicate normal mode but would still have options to adjust the speed/mph from where it was in "draw" mode.

I also ran into this issue with "draw" flight mode with the same issues.

Points of interest did work and tripod did work for me with no issues. Didn't try follow me but in the past that has worked very well.

also my controller and P4P are running correct firmware versions.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic