Inexpensive vhf airband transceiver

Reaction score
Ok folks,
please go easy on this one.
my situation here is, Dad (me) is going for my commercial drone licence.
my daughter who would like to fly with me is convinced she has to have a job to help me.
she is asperger autistic and has already decided she would be the one to monitor the local ATC's.
there was no talking her into being a visual observer, so her mind is made up, and she has even asked for one for Christmas.

Well, not wanting to crush her spirit, we are looking for an inexpensive VHF airband transceiver for her to use while Dad flies his drone (inexpensive because this phase may or may not last).

we are trying not to spend over $100.

has anyone ever purchased anything like that?

she found a few on amazon that MUST have the ability for her to tune o different frequencies, since she has already taught herself to read the VFR maps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: Jim Guentner
Actually, all your daughter needs in this situation is a programmable airband 'receiver'. There is no real need to communicate with aircraft, local control towers or ATC on a transceiver. Nor is it recommended in this situation.

There are numerous airband monitoring receivers on Amazon as mentioned that are under your $100 limit. Just research the features required for your needs. Good luck.

Actually, all your daughter needs in this situation is a programmable airband 'receiver'. There is no real need to communicate with aircraft, local control towers or ATC on a transceiver. Nor is it recommended in this situation.

There are numerous airband monitoring receivers on Amazon as mentioned that are under your $100 limit. Just research the features required for your needs. Good luck.

Sorry,
I should have proofread a little better. A receiver is all I was looking for. She understands there will be no chatter. Lol

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I you were in my shoes, would any of these suffice?
Providing I keep her thumb off the button. They’re all on amazon and around $60

Attachments

• D547A057-7B2F-497B-91D6-F4ECC8FE432C.png
    D547A057-7B2F-497B-91D6-F4ECC8FE432C.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 241
  • 77BD6A5A-925C-41B7-8508-05C82031ACB1.png
    77BD6A5A-925C-41B7-8508-05C82031ACB1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 251
  • 16211A46-C7B5-4118-8D5F-24E84BD542D7.png
    16211A46-C7B5-4118-8D5F-24E84BD542D7.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 264
From the description it looks like it should. States civilian and military airbands, and lists 108-174 MHz. You may want to research this model further on the Uniden website for additional info on ease of programming manually, battery life, etc.

Bearcat scanners have been around a long time.....so they must be doing something right.

I use the 125AT in my work, too - great scanner, easy to program, lots of features and under 100 bucks.
Wish your little princess a Merry Christmas from all of us!

Reactions: vincent228
That's awesome to know!

thank you very much.

And i'm sure she will want all of you to have a Merry Christmas also!
You should know also that a nice pair of ear phones would really be best to listen better....Not the tiny itty ones im talking the ones with a head band from ear to ear.........all portable scanners have a ear phone plug in...and i Think even tho they all might be stereo...they will be Ok as the female of the plug in on the scanner will allow both side to work .

An internet search for your area airport will list the frequencies for the tower, approach and departure control, etc. to program into your scanner. Also of interest for your daughter might be the frequency for ATIS (automatic terminal information service). It's a looping recording updated hourly of weather conditions, warnings to pilots, and special conditions. After a little listening, she'll pick up the "lingo." In the 150 MHz range will be local law enforcement. Many young people starting out listening to short wave radio or VHF scanners expanded their horizons and even led to a related career. The scanner can entertain her for hours. Your support of her interest will be well rewarded. Let us know how it goes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31