Incorrect GPS altitudes in video and stills

Reaction score
I have run into a problem with the GPS altitude data taken from the photo exif files and the video cc. When measuring the height of equipment on a tower recently both altitudes were off by quite a bit. The photo exif showed the altitude as 370m msl and the video showed the altitude as 100m agl, neither of which was correct. The numbers should have been 465m msl and 91m agl. The tower is only 94m high. I also checked the numbers relative from takeoff height and it was still off. Previous measurements have been spot on, has anyone seen similar problems recently? Thx

Yeah, it varies. Sometimes mine shows me flying at negative altitudes from the RTH one. Sometimes I think GO is at fault, but DJI never really tells what bug fixes and tweaks they make.

has anyone seen similar problems recently?
It's not a recent thing.
GPS is always very inaccurate for altitude while the barometer is still approximate, it's usually quite close to the true height.
GPS altitude is subject to swinging over short time periods bur the barometer is quite stable.
Here's a good example of GPS altitude (in)accuracy.
I'm pretty sure the drone wasn't 66 metres below sea level for this shot:
i-MqRGc68-L.jpg

Here’s a question, when we are actually flying the altitude shown in the Go software reflects the actual above ground level ( at takeoff).

For example, in Chicago, I can be down by the lakefront near downtown and will take a shot that’s 30 feet above the ground and that’s what it shows while I’m flying. But when I get it back and import to Lightroom, the altitude shows as approximately 610 feet which is the height above sea level +30’ for Lake Michigan (~580’). And knowing this I almost always at the beginning of a shooting a location take one frame on the ground before I takeoff and at least it gives me a point of reference for the rest of the shoot to know later the approximate height I was flying.

But once we import it into Lightroom the altitude is shown as height above sea level. Is there a way to add the AGL Field to the lightroom catalog?
I’m guessing not but I’m wondering if anybody more knowledgeable than me knows the answer to this.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl