Inadvertent landing on top of a building

i would call the police and let them know that they won't let you retrieve your property. would it be the same if your son's football went over the fence into your neighbor's yard? heck no. this is no different. people like to drop the FAA in conversations because it then gives them an excuse to push you off. they have your property, and they need to return it. the police should help you retrieve it.

Reactions: sharper4
Keep us posted on how this goes for you. I'm actually very curious as to what the FAA will say about it. It kind of sucks they wouldn't let you at least take it out of the elements. Maybe you can make a deal with the building management to retrieve it but let them store it in their office until it can all be sorted out? Let them take photos of where it landed on the roof? I hope it all works out for you.

i would call the police and let them know that they won't let you retrieve your property. would it be the same if your son's football went over the fence into your neighbor's yard? heck no. this is no different. people like to drop the FAA in conversations because it then gives them an excuse to push you off. they have your property, and they need to return it. the police should help you retrieve it.

The icky thing with calling the Police in this situation is that calling LEO is like a box of chocolates......

Get the wrong people involved and the ones you called to help might just help escalate it into a much bigger problem for you.....sometimes.

Reactions: Skadar
Progress has been made...I know the president of the company who manages the property (hadn't talked to him in years so I just forgot). It is off the roof and in a locked closet. They said they need to follow protocol with the FAA stuff. I am totally cool with this...looks like I should get it back in the next day or two.

Progress has been made...I know the president of the company who manages the property (hadn't talked to him in years so I just forgot). It is off the roof and in a locked closet. They said they need to follow protocol with the FAA stuff. I am totally cool with this...looks like I should get it back in the next day or two.

That's great news!

Great news!

A WARNING to everybody. As radio ham, please REFUSE, any way to fly near antennas, radios, transmitters. They use several antennas and frequency`s, that even not at the same of the P3, due the power and configuration can cause distortion and strong interference on any equipment nearby...

Once, i used a 1200Wts amplifier, and you can even imagine the power, electromagnetic camps, radiations that that stuff can emite....even can light dead lamps nearby!!

Keep that fact on the equation when flying....

I'm glad that they brought it indoors for you but I agree with the football analogy above. They're making a mountain out of an ant hill here. Much to do about nothing. This isn't a crime scene. It was an accident and if you look at the footage found on that very drone they'll see you're clearly a hobbyist and didn't have ill intentions. (Even if you did have bad intentions, they aren't in a legal position to hold onto that evidence. They could turn it over to authorities, but not keep it on their own terms for any reason at all).

If you haven't gotten it back in a day or two of playing nice guy, I would start contacting the police. You didn't break the law, even if you had gone over 400'. Which, 400' is based off of where you took off, not their doorstep. Not to mention you can prove that you *intended* to stay under 400' because your displayed showed that you were under the ceiling and you have flight logs indicating the altitude. But again, even if you had gone over 500', you were just stupid but didn't break the law.

If I drop my cellphone in their lobby, would they presume I was taking unauthorized pics just because it's capable of something they don't particularly like and found it on their own property? Could they hold onto it even though they have acknowledged that they have it or would they be forced to turn it over?

I can't wait to hear how this ultimately turns out.

I've seen video of a P2V+ rescuing a P3A via a line & hook.

Please post if you can.

Seems impossible for a Phantom to rescue a Phantom.

Please post if you can.

Seems impossible for a Phantom to rescue a Phantom.

P3 rescues P2 (read description on YouTube)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

P3 rescues P2 (read description on YouTube)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice grappling hook action! That was pretty sweet actually. I didn't know the P3 was capable of carrying that much load, especially since he obviously kept his gimbal & camera on to record the rescue operation.

Reactions: Jbundy63
Well... we never actually see the rescue craft, and, was the battery in the rescued craft?

Hopelessly skeptic at times.

Well... we never actually see the rescue craft, and, was the battery in the rescued craft?

Hopelessly skeptic at times.

The battery was not in the P2 that was rescued. He mentioned in the description that it must have dropped out on crash. But still, a P2 body has some substantial weight to it, even sans battery. I'm skeptical too but I've felt the tug of my P3 when I grab it on landing so there's a side to me that says it's certainly possible. In this video he's just going up over a roof and bring it right back down so all in all that makes it just a little more plausible.

That was one of our Irish lads that made that rescue video. There was no battery in the rescued phantom

If you haven't gotten it back in a day or two of playing nice guy, I would start contacting the police. You didn't break the law, even if you had gone over 400'. Which, 400' is based off of where you took off, not their doorstep. Not to mention you can prove that you *intended* to stay under 400' because your displayed showed that you were under the ceiling and you have flight logs indicating the altitude. But again, even if you had gone over 500', you were just stupid but didn't break the law.

Actually it is 400ft AGL which means at the current location not where you took off from, where you took off from is irrelevant. I agree he should get it back but I suspect it will be tough and may take some time. They are probably looking to see if this constitutes trespassing, just a guess. There could be a citation for that but who knows. Altitude and position is your responsibility to know at all time, regardless of what anything or the app tell you. Not trying to argue but point out the facts.

Alan

Sorry to hear of anyone losing a Drone but I gotta wonder why you were flying so high and in the City ..............Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Hope you get it all cleared up.

I'm glad that they brought it indoors for you but I agree with the football analogy above. They're making a mountain out of an ant hill here. Much to do about nothing. This isn't a crime scene. It was an accident and if you look at the footage found on that very drone they'll see you're clearly a hobbyist and didn't have ill intentions. (Even if you did have bad intentions, they aren't in a legal position to hold onto that evidence. They could turn it over to authorities, but not keep it on their own terms for any reason at all).

If I drop my cellphone in their lobby, would they presume I was taking unauthorized pics just because it's capable of something they don't particularly like and found it on their own property? Could they hold onto it even though they have acknowledged that they have it or would they be forced to turn it over?

Well said!

I think they are being douche bags about it. But that seems to be the norm these days. People get to uptight about things and have become foaming at the mouth crazy!

Reactions: unclejas

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic