Improving drone flying while in an unsafe zone for the summer.

Reaction score
This summer, they’re paving the airport runway so that means a ton of airplanes are flying at a low height in our city due to the runway by the Cook inlet being closed. I don’t think drone flying is safe now. What are some ways to improve my drone flying without actually flying it? There is the dji flight simulator but that doesn’t have fpv. It only has third person view.

I’m assuming you are referring to the Ted Stevens Anchorage airport (ANC) repaving of runways 15/33. There should be areas nearby you could fly safely in the area without compromising safety. Simulators are ok, but nothing beats hands-on experience.

To become a better drone pilot, as in any situation, practice makes perfect. Find an area nearby with no or limited obstacles and practice flying in ATTI mode at a lower altitude, maybe 50-100 feet..............and in close proximity to your position..........maybe 50 feet away. Fly around a lone tree, or an imaginary tree, trying to stay at the same altitude. Flying in ATTI mode will sharpen your skills to control the drone around objects when GPS positioning isn’t available. Flying circles, rectangles, or figure eights in ATTI mode will improve your flying abilities greatly. And all that can be done safely at lower altitudes.

Good luck, and Have Fun !

Similar boat here where I am,,low flying planes and helicopters all the time,not only that nearly every flight here I have to tick box to accept responsibility for my flight or it won't go,have to travel for decent flight now,or I can hug the hills up to 900 odd ft if I game enough,(only when I know I can)but restricted under 100ft to avoid those steel mosquitoes,,might scratch me drone

Reactions: captainmilehigh
The FAA has an airspace map showing controlled airspace that might be helpful to you. Input the town or city name and it will show you a map with details regarding airspace in that area.

FAA UAS Data Map

Things changed one week after I left my in laws place in Panama City, Fl. I'm glad I got a lot of footage there, because it ends me flying there again. If I was able to fly, it would only be 100 ft. I wouldn't have been able to clear the pine trees if it wasn't for hurricane Micheal taking them out.

This summer, they’re paving the airport runway so that means a ton of airplanes are flying at a low height in our city due to the runway by the Cook inlet being closed. I don’t think drone flying is safe now. What are some ways to improve my drone flying without actually flying it? There is the dji flight simulator but that doesn’t have fpv. It only has third person view.
Practice dodging and following the planes...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan