Image Size 4:3 or 16:9?

Reaction score
Hey, I'm using an iPad Mini 2 and was curious to know what image size I should use. 4:3 or 16:9? This refers to the screen size?
Thanks!

Hey, I'm using an iPad Mini 2 and was curious to know what image size I should use. 4:3 or 16:9?
This has nothing to do with the Ipad or screen size. It's photo resolution.
Your P3 gives you the option of shooting stills at 4000 x 3000 (4:3) or 4000 x 2250 (16:9).
Most photographers would choose to shoot the larger size and have the option of cropping where they choose rather than have the camera automatically crop for them.

Like what Meta4 said (play with words there)..
Picture quality will remain the same.
If you're lazy and want the wide screen 16:9, let the phantom crop.
If you like doing post processing or wish to remove the props and keep the lower part of photo, keep it at 4:3. 4:3 will utilise the full sensor.

Reactions: Horton
Also depends on where you will be viewing them. Most screen formats are now the wide screen 16:9 format, even laptops etc. not to many of the square screen or TV's with the square format around any more. Even when you print out a photo now days they are no longer square but use the wide format. Hope that helps. The higher the megapixel the photo the easier to crop any part of it without loosing any resolution in the final photo.

Well, the traditional SLR and DSLR camera aspect ratios are still 3:2, which is in between 4:3 and 16:9. So when I shoot still pictures with my P3P that will be included in a photo album with other shots, I use 4:3, and then crop the photos to 3:2.

I agree with Meta. More pixels are generally better. You can always crop later to match your intended use.

Last edited:
I always shoot 4x3 - I would rather crop myself. The panoramas I shoot stitch better that way too. Why throw away pixels before you even see them?
I agree! Glad you mentioned panoramas. I'd forgotten about those. I do that frequently, as well. Another great reason for using the larger format!

Are you doing those panoramas on the P3P? Thx
No. For simple ones, I use Photoshop's photomerge option.

And, I recently discovered PTGui software (ptgui.com) that creates beautiful full-360 degree pans and publishes them in a manner (adding an HTML page) that you can upload to a website for viewing.

For the 360's, I spin the P3 around full-circle in overlapping increments, and then upload them to the PTGui program. It's great for non-drone pans, too!

Sorry for going off topic on the 4:3 question.

Thanks for that info about PTGui - I'd been meaning to try it out. I am using Panorama Studio 2 which does a similar job but I like PTGui as well. Can you make it not generate the top half? My panos are 360 around but only 180 down, not pointing up. Panorama Studio does better there but maybe I am just missing a setting.

I shoot 3 rows of 8 shots and a final one pointing down so it's 25 P3 shots to make one.

Here's one from Panorama Studio: http://www.nhoover.com/pano/sample.html (best on large screen).

Here's one with the trial of PTGui: Panorama

Sorry for going off topic on the 4:3 question.

Thanks for that info about PTGui - I'd been meaning to try it out. I am using Panorama Studio 2 which does a similar job but I like PTGui as well. Can you make it not generate the top half? My panos are 360 around but only 180 down, not pointing up. Panorama Studio does better there but maybe I am just missing a setting.

I shoot 3 rows of 8 shots and a final one pointing down so it's 25 P3 shots to make one.

Here's one from Panorama Studio: http://www.nhoover.com/pano/sample.html (best on large screen).

Here's one with the trial of PTGui: Panorama

Very nice! Yes, I viewed them on a large 1920 x 1080 monitor.

I haven't explored PTGui enough to answer your question, but I'm pretty sure that the vertical sweep can be adjusted. With the few I've done, I used one 360-degree horizontal row of pictures each time, and I'm pretty sure it didn't go above or below those. The next time I use it, I'll play further and let you know.

How does this relate to still images from video. I sometimes use premiere pro CC to captures image from video.

How does this relate to still images from video. I sometimes use premiere pro CC to captures image from video.
It doesn't.
Shooting video with the P3 Pro you have a choice of resolutions:
Video Recording Modes
  • UHD: 4096x2160p 24/25, 3840x2160p 24/25/30
  • FHD: 1920x1080p 24/25/30/48/50/60
  • HD: 1280x720p 24/25/30/48/50/60
Whatever you set the camera for would be the max resolution of your video.

4:3 always. You always want the most pixels. You crop in post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My thanks to everyone with comments in this thread.

Looks like I'll be changing back to 4:3 for now.

AD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers