image quality phantom 4 pro

With these settings you are a victim of diffraction, chromatic aberration, color changes, and white balance not accurate.

Try f/4 to f/8 (f/5.6 or 6.3 it's the sweet spot) and without AWB. Put the WB in kelvin manually.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk
Best is set the white balance to fixed 4800 - 5000. Personally I prefer 4800. Post production grading will take care of the rest.

1.Shooting snow with auto exposure will typically always result in underexposed images with any camera. You need to shoot manually and increase exposure.

2. Shoot in RAW to use all the cameras data. The dymanic of the P4P range is very good but is only utilized in post processing.

3. Some amount Vignetting is typical with low performing lens like the Phantoms which can easily be fixed in post.

4. The P4P camera can extremely well considering it's on a drone if you learn it's limits. Understanding basic photography principles are invaluable.

Cheers and happy flying.

Reactions: Ripper7620 and jens
This is probably not underexposure. See the picture. It will probably not help to film in raw. This is possible lens error, image chip error, or sofware problem

Attachments

• 30705979_10155159823960194_3003365940264960000_o.jpg
    30705979_10155159823960194_3003365940264960000_o.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 254
Reactions: Hounddog
It looks as though you shot this at high noon as there are no shadows on the ground from the tree, I believe there is a good possibility that you are receiving prism light refraction from the sun off the snow that would cause a vignetting affect in your shot

Vignetting, if due to set aperture, should be worse wide open, than at F11. I often see a slight very slight upper corner vignetting on the P4 both upper corners.

Color cast, is most definitely possible, the Mavic has this also, worse than the P4. Easy way to test is just shoot against a pure white background. It's also possible to create a Lens Cast Correction in software like Capture one that will correct all of this. However Capture One has other issues with the raws from the DJI drones as no default color profile is loaded.

LR/ACR are using an embeded color profile, which I don't like, but unlike Adobe's other camera profiles you really don't have many other options, even with the latest version of LR with the new profile grid, there is not a lot that helps. LR however does seem to load a lens profile for the various Phantoms that can help take out some of the cast, and vignetting.

Shooting in raw IMO is best as you still have a lot of control of the final image. And I shoot most series in AEB mode, 5 shots even though I know I will throw most at least 2 from each series out. Due to limited air time and the fact that the images when displayed on the iPad are not very good quality (you can't really tell the true color and focus) I just prefer to over shoot knowing that from -1.34 to +1.34 in 5 shots I will get 2 I can bracket later on.

I agree that the sweet spot seems to be F4.5 to F6.3. I have gone to F8, but feel that much smaller a setting will just suffer from diffraction. I also tend to stay in 4:3 since I shoot a lot of panos. I realize you are giving up a bit of resolution, but the 3:2 shows quite a bit of rectilinear distortion which is common with any wide angle lens. (objects towards the edges will elongate and flatten), and this makes a pano creation a bit harder. I would prefer to have the landscape orientation option that the Mavic gives, but on the P4 you might just get too much props showing.

Paul Caldwell

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31