I'm kind of afraid to fly. How to avoid or defuse an "incident"?

• People approaching in a hostile attitude because I'm invading their privacy
You are not invading anybody's privacy.

True, some people have the perception their privacy is being violated. Sometimes sharing your FPV is all that's necessary.

Unless you're doing something wrong don't worry about it. Don't get upset. Just nod your head and be agreeable and continue flying. Laugh any hostility off. Have a friend with you if you can to be your backup and to video any hostilities but I doubt anything will happen, it's rare even though we see people reporting incidents on here, the great majority of people never have a problem..

Just keep repeating to yourself "I have a right to be here!" Be reasonable, and ignore anyone who isn't. You have no need to worry about idiots who react before seeking a reasonable accommodation.

I do understand where you're coming from, as I'm a worrier too - using that phrase as cognitive therapy has really helped my anxiety levels, which improves my flying as well.

Being from Rhode Island, I am quite familiar with Massholes... lol...

I'll actually be in Loudon tomorrow and Sunday, shooting the NASCAR race. I would LOVE to be able to fly and shoot that!!! :)
I've tracked many times at Loudon, NH International Motorsports Park as it's officially called now. As you know the track would be an NFZ for any event due to the public presence, and except for a commercial videographer, off limits for races due to safety concerns. Too bad. I would love to have an overhead shot of my car making a circuit. What a great way that would be to demonstrate where I wasn't setting up right for the line.
I run the road course, it uses half of the NASCAR oval. I know I'd not like to be diving down into the infield chicane at the end of the main straight (3rd gear, 119 mph, hitting the brakes at the second mark) and get distracted by anything other than another car which waited too long to give way. I can just imagine spotting a drone parked at the perfect location to catch all the action...dead ahead in the emergency runoff.
Enjoy your trip and post a few of your photos here!

I would just love some high shots, nothing too low... would be awesome. I'm in the Media Center now, looking at the track imagining the aerial shots I could get. Oh well...

I shot the July race as well, in case anyone is interested...

I have a field across the street from my house, has a softball field, playground, and basketball courts. THere is never usually a time when it's totally empty, but I never fly too low anyway. I like getting aerial sunset shots of downtown Providence, I live about 2 miles from Providence as the crow flies. So my quad is usually super high. When it's low, its usually getting shots of my crazy 8 year old son, he loves to run around as I film him. I haven't gotten anything from anybody yet, but I always keep my cell ready...

I would just love some high shots, nothing too low... would be awesome. I'm in the Media Center now, looking at the track imagining the aerial shots I could get. Oh well...

I shot the July race as well, in case anyone is interested...
Wow! Super good job of catching all the feel and action of race day. I can almost smell the rubber and hear the roar! I hear you about the 'perfect' aerial locations. It'll happen one day but I think we would need to hover over the parking lot area and use telephotos.
You must be in the Media Center at the top of the Main Straight stands? Most of your shots look like you were a lot closer to the Media Center in the Pits next to the Paddock.
Outstanding work. Congratulations.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1