If you're traveling to shoot footage, for work, to multiple countries, do you bring a backup drone?

Reaction score
I might be traveling to Mexico, Grand Cayman and a few other Caribbean places to shoot aerial footage for a large travel company. Worried about something happening to my Phantom 3 Pro. Also, having a Mavic might draw less attention, which could be beneficial depending on where I'm shooting.

Thoughts?

Thanks! :)

NO worry...now! haha...You can easily fly a p3p and a Mavic, but just fly it at a distance. Know the surrounding area and obviously don't fly it next to people's faces.

I hear you, I just wonder what I'd do if the drone broke, and also if having a backup would help me shoot in some locations because it's more discreet..

I hear you, I just wonder what I'd do if the drone broke, and also if having a backup would help me shoot in some locations because it's more discreet..
Phantoms are pretty though, especially the p3p. If you can fly this fairly well, then DON"T WORRY :).

If you need to be sure that you get the job done, you need a backup.

Things can and will go wrong. The difference between a professional and an amateur is how well prepared they are to handle it. We had a Inspire 1 RAW toss a prop on-set once. Fortunately, the safety protocol worked and kept everyone safe. The $6,000 drone was destroyed but more importantly we were able to carry on with the shoot using a backup Inspire 1 RAW.

And while the backup drone was flying, we had a member of our team calling in a 3rd Inspire 1 RAW just in case lightning were to strike twice in one day.

Remember - Murphy is NOT your friend! Pros also take way more pictures than needed. In the old days of film shooting, amateurs might have the same roll of film in their camera for months taking 4-6 pictures on a vacation, while a pro might shoot 10's of rolls in the same location. film (or in our case now, SD cards) are a lot cheaper than another plane ticket!

If I'm shooting (photography) for a client, I have backup for almost everything from bodies, lenses, batteries, to flashes. It's part if being a pro to be honest.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl