If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

CapnBob said:
I seriously doubt that is hot glue.
Using glue that melts, on something that is prone to getting hot wouldn't be advisable.

From the looks of it, it is probably an RTV Silicone, which has a very high heat tolerance.
If it has a very "rubbery" feel, I'm sure that's what it is.

You're absolutely right, it was a rubbery feeling like you said.

I've uploaded a few more photos of the internals if anyone is interested.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A5GY8gBYJFN3on

rmhome said:
CapnBob said:
Using glue that melts, on something that is prone to getting hot wouldn't be advisable.

From the looks of it, it is probably an RTV Silicone, which has a very high heat tolerance.

Thanks for the pics. I see that they have "blobbed" goo around some of the connectors as well. But not the GPS connector?

Also, I noticed liberal amounts of goo stuck to the top shell. Was the case difficult to open as a result?

Is it a good idea to put the Silicone on the FET?
I guess the FET dissipate heat using both the PCB through vias to ground layer below the FET and direct convection from the chip itself, the silicone on top of the PCB will isolate a bit and make things hotter.
But the soldering points are protected from vibrations by the silicone so it might end up on the positive side regarding reliability anyway ;)

/hakan

jonstatt said:
rmhome said:
CapnBob said:

Thanks for the pics. I see that they have "blobbed" goo around some of the connectors as well. But not the GPS connector?

Also, I noticed liberal amounts of goo stuck to the top shell. Was the case difficult to open as a result?

There was no silicon on the GPS connector - I'll secure this myself with a little bit tape once I've completed the GPS mods (foil/antenna upgrade).

The stuff on the shell was under the sticky foil used to cover the GPS module, wasn't very strong and not sure why it would be required as the sticky foil was very sticky :D

herkam said:
But the soldering points are protected from vibrations by the silicone so it might end up on the positive side regarding reliability anyway ;)

The solder points look reliable and good quality, the wires are now solid and done really move much when touched so I'm quite happy with the reliability of the unit prior to any serious flying... which is now dependent on some good weather!

Reading back on this post it appears someone else (fin032) has the same silicon on their unit, and they ordered from the same model shop as I did which I guess is a good thing.

rmhome said:
The stuff on the shell was under the sticky foil used to cover the GPS module, wasn't very strong and not sure why it would be required as the sticky foil was very sticky :D

I find the silicone on the GPS panel side's solder points quite interesting. It is almost like DJI think the issues with loss of GPS connectivity are due to vibration/wire issues at the soldered end rather than the connector end!

I think thats more due to stopping too much stress on the joints as the lead is pulled.

There are heat conductive version of this silicon and if they used that kind that big blob would increase the surface that the FET can dissipate heat.
It would keep the cables secure and keep the FET colder.
I will add this mod to my quad, makes sense!

Electrolube ETCOR75S might do the trick?

"Electrolube TCOR is a single component, 100% solids, low odour RTV which cures upon exposure to atmospheric
moisture. The product offers a high degree of thermal conductivity and is suitable for use over a very wide temperature
range, making it ideal for a wide variety of uses, particularly in automotive applications. Combining the properties of
silicone rubber pads with those of a conventional heat transfer paste, TCOR has been designed to fill the gap between
the device and heat sink, thus reducing the thermal resistance. It can be applied around components and power resistors
to dissipate excess heat to heat sinks, avoiding any potential overheating and subsequent failures. It can be used as a
low bond strength adhesive, sealant or gasketing compound. "

Cheers
Hakan

Reactions: Mark The Droner

I wish you technical guys were located in Washington, DC or Baltimore area. I just can't see shipping my bird off for a few weeks to have it inspected and corrected.

I guess I'm going to have to learn to all of this myself.

I will reiterate a point that I have made here before. Heat Sink compounds used by themselves will INSULATE a component, making it HOTTER, NOT COOLER.
They are intended to be used ONLY to fill small air gaps between components and a true heat sink, and ensure a thermally conductive path to the heat dissipating surfaces. This would typically be a large finned aluminum extrusion that has as much surface area as is needed to control the component's heat level.

Think about it. You have a component that is free to dissipate whatever heat it generates by hot air moving up and away, being replaced by cool air moving in, or convection. Now you put a blanket over it, thus insulating it from air circulation. It can never conduct heat as fast as air can dissipate it.
If that were the case, we wouldn't need heat sinks at all.

Unless you are using it to enhance heat transfer to an actual thermally conductive, correctly-sized heat sink,
DO NOT use heat sink compound on it's own.

Read those instructions and consider what they are saying very carefully.

Fair warning.

Good point!
The thermal conductivity is 222 times lower on the silicon than copper so it will require quite some temp diff to transfer heat.
I hope that DJI has added several via hole beneath the FET so they spread the heat from the FET to the whole PCB and use the PCB as heat sink.

/håkan

I wonder if there is some mileage in using silicon on the 3 wires ONLY to give some support to each other and anti vibration capability. ?

This sucks. If it is this bad they should have recalled them or offered free maintenance from a dealer. It's fine if you are good with electronics and enjoy tinkering with them but if you aren't good with electronics you are screwed. For 1000 you shouldn't have to do anything extra to it if it's sold RTF. I can understand problems with new technology like firmware and such but plug in connections have been around for decades. Makes me want to get my money back and take my chances on a Hubsan X4 pro.

ccase39 said:
Makes me want to get my money back and take my chances on a Hubsan X4 pro.

Its been vapour ware for a very long time and no delivery date, then there will be the bugs needed to be sorted.

herkam said:
Good point!
The thermal conductivity is 222 times lower on the silicon than copper so it will require quite some temp diff to transfer heat.
I hope that DJI has added several via hole beneath the FET so they spread the heat from the FET to the whole PCB and use the PCB as heat sink.

/håkan

Hahahahah LOL there are no via holes.... :lol: This is just another band aid by DJI causing more issues.

Any Australia folks who need ESC 2.1 I have 4x brand new (as per sig.. and my classified ad lol)

:)

Just got done working on my second set of motors for the night with flexible wire replacement.

I decided to test the bending fatigue on a a stock solid wire motor lead that had been removed from the esc. I got 7, 30 degree bends out of the wire before it broke near the solder joint. The odds against us are stacked, there are 12 wires in a V3 phantom ready to break at any given moment. :?

This means that if you even move your wires they are now more prone to breaking. How many times do they bend them at the factory? This is just crazy.... I really feel bad for all those out there with version 3's. I cant freaking believe how fragile these wires are at the esc's. I cant stress it enough that flying with these solid wires is like a ticking time bomb. They will absolutely fail. The motors themselves are awesome and have tons of torque but why couldnt they put proper power leads on them.

If anyone needs any help at all sourcing the wire or directions please feel free to ask. Those that dont have the hands for this kind of work please PM and I can help. We dont need a new rash of these crashing and burning everywhere, the hobby is looking up and its up to us to police these problems before they hurt us more.

Jeremy James

Melb.. as per sig... shipped for $95 express post to yeah..
PM if interested.

clayton4115 said:
where in Australia are you justin?

BTW... done around 6 hours of flights... no issues with wires/heating/mosfets.,.. will keep checking every few hours.. but so far so good with the small wires (that come with motor)

Burlbark read your post.. I know you are an expert at this... but I was playing with the wires, bending all sorts of things as I was concerned originally.. not seeing any results that you are... Why are we not seeing any more crashes ? Seems like ESC 2.1 fixed up the problem... but yeah.. saying that.. I'll probs crash due to wire issue on my next flight in a few mins lol.

justin00 said:
Melb.. as per sig... shipped for $95 express post to yeah..
PM if interested.

clayton4115 said:
where in Australia are you justin?

BTW... done around 6 hours of flights... no issues with wires/heating/mosfets.,.. will keep checking every few hours.. but so far so good with the small wires (that come with motor)

Burlbark read your post.. I know you are an expert at this... but I was playing with the wires, bending all sorts of things as I was concerned originally.. not seeing any results that you are... Why are we not seeing any more crashes ? Seems like ESC 2.1 fixed up the problem... but yeah.. saying that.. I'll probs crash due to wire issue on my next flight in a few mins lol.

Lol, dont jinx yourself. There have been around half a dozen or so reported here on this forum, I dont know the exact number. We are a very small percentage of the Vision community. Just wait till spring comes and people start flying. Its been a cold winter with many waiting for warm days. This is a cycle fatigue problem and it will forever plague these motors until the wires are replaced or compound is applied to help dampen vibration.

Please dont bend your wires more than once to clear the mosfets. If esc 2.1 was the fix than there is no need for the stress relief compound that DJI is now applying to the wires and esc's ;)

Opened up my v+ today to check esc version and was relieved to see 2.1. Purchased 1/21 from amazon. Serial number begins with ph64548...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 359

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164