If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

I agree with CapnBob. Sooner then later it might crash . Fly now. Mine flew fine. One fly away. DJI service is local for me, AND they pissed me off that they built a 'new' V3 with the wrong ESC's and I'd been trading nasty emails for weeks until they relented. Other then that too flew fine. Who knows for how long thats why I made them take it back for the new 2.1's

Well I had a V2 - took it back and swopped it out for a version 3 - GPS problem solved! Then I read about the problem with the ESCs!!!

I plucked up the courage to open it up - very easy indeed. Thankfully it has the 2.1 boards in it. Not too sure about the skinny wires though - are they going to cause me trouble?
Also has the perforated wifi cover.
Serial number is 645447..........

it is far more stable than the V2 - 11 sats showing - and when you turn record on you still get 11.

Flying in 30mph gusting crosswinds it was just sitting there - awesome.

I lifted the wires off the mosets, seems the thing to do.

Well I just bought a v3.0 from B&H for $1099 on sale and now read this entire thread and my heart drops. I'm hoping the phantom I purchased on 2/4 has the v2.1 ESC's. I guess the first thing I'll be doing with the new quad tomorrow is take it apart, this is depressing.

jshull0 said:
Well I just bought a v3.0 from B&H for $1099 on sale and now read this entire thread and my heart drops. I'm hoping the phantom I purchased on 2/4 has the v2.1 ESC's. I guess the first thing I'll be doing with the new quad tomorrow is take it apart, this is depressing.

It's not great. I have decided not to open mine yet, especially as my serial number starts 646 instead of 645 like everyone else so far. I am hoping that means I have escaped the mistake batch......but maybe there is something else wrong on mine, or the manufacturing lucky dip for ESCs is still there even on more recent units :)

jshull0 said:

I bought mine from them about 2 weeks ago and the ESC's are 2.0.

I believe this ESC issue has reached a level maybe just short of hysteria.
We need to step back and take a deep breath.
There are a few things to keep in mind:

1) There is a warranty.

2) Dji would be dumber than dumb if they kept shoving units out the door that were destined to return under that warranty. They would not stay in business long. As their QC and Rev. paperwork seem to be so lackadaisical, the markings on the board don't mean a damned thing prior to the V.2 stickers (and perhaps after as well) . The board hardware is identical, it's the firmware we're talking about.

3) Someone within the walls of dji knows what works and what doesn't. Be assured they would not knowingly ship defective units.

4) If you bought a new car, would you not drive it because you heard some people complaining about transmission problems?
No, you would drive it until it broke, and let them fix it under warranty.

You bought it, go fly it.
If it's bad, it's going to auger in sooner or later. Sooner would be better (think warranty)

Take a video of every flight, even practice flights. If it goes stupid, you will have the evidence.

Another last bit of advice..

Do not take this as a suggestion to run right out and fly into a tree.
If you haven't already, take a week and read everything you can find. The pilot's guide is a must. Fire her up in the house with no props and familiarize yourself with the LED sequences, different control modes, etc. Run scenarios in your mind and flick the switches to initiate Failsafe / RTH (Return-To-Home) for the inevitable first-flight jitters.

Be smart; take it slow and easy. The warranty does not cover stupidity due to over-exuberance.
Those are the jerks you hear about in the news. ;-)

Well I am happy to report that the new vision + I just bought from B&H seems to have all the correct pieces (WiFi board, esc v2.1, GPS, ect). I pulled the wires off the esc boards, and like others have mentioned the GPS connectors seems to barely rest together with little force to remove. I did a calibration of IMU and RC, understand compass calibration and have put stickers on controller from UAV stickers. Still need to put metal gimbal protector on, and waiting on a few other accessories including a hard case before I go out and fly. This forum has helped immensely.

I'm with CapnBob on the issue...great advice as always...just fly.

I'm afraid I do not agree with all that has been said here recently. I know most wont like this word, but it is ignorance of anyone that say to just go fly to those with v2.0 esc's. I know Bob says they are identical and they are,...but to eye. Meaning if you look at them, they do look the same. But who's to say the parts in the esc's are the same. There could be one minor change somewhere throughout the parts installed on the boards which could now allow for the firmware to be programmed the way it needs to be.

What I have said here admittedly is indeed speculation. Because I honestly don't know why the v2.1 combo works and the v2.0 does not. But thing is for sure, which is a fact and not speculation, and that is that the v2.1 combo keeps your quad from dropping out of the sky.

There is thread after thread after thread of V3 owners who had v2.0 esc's and their quads are now trash. If YOU own a V3 and someone approaches you and gives you any kind of advice just continue flying your quad, ask that person if they also have a untouched V3 with v2.0 esc's. Also ask them, warranty or not, if they have ever watched their quad drop from the sky and get tore up and went through all the trouble of sending it to the manufacturer for repair, and then went without their quad for possibly a month or longer?

I spoke with someone yesterday that said he sent his V3 which had v2.0 esc's and the old style wifi module to DJI in LA. They replaced those parts with v2.1 esc's and the multi hole wifi module and he it back to his door in 14 days.

I was speaking to the purchasers of new V.3 birds about the angst they are having over flying. .

The advice to just "Fly It" is bad for myself and probably the majority of others in this forum.
Mine is V.2 updated to V.3 specs. Tilt pot mod, Taoglas GPS mod, Home brew antennas, swiss-cheesed and heat-sinked WiFi modules, etc.
It's long past warranty now, and I eat it if it crashes.

"Just Flying" is not an option for me. I am very careful; and do a tethered flight after any mod to ensure things are in order.

My point is, for a newly purchased virgin bird, leave it alone and just fly it. If it breaks due to a malfunction, it's dji's headache.

CapnBob said:
I was speaking to the purchasers of new V.3 birds about the angst they are having over flying. .

The advice to just "Fly It" is bad for myself and probably the majority of others in this forum.
Mine is V.2 updated to V.3 specs. Tilt pot mod, Taoglas GPS mod, Home brew antennas, swiss-cheesed and heat-sinked WiFi modules, etc.
It's long past warranty now, and I eat it if it crashes.

"Just Flying" is not an option for me. I am very careful; and do a tethered flight after any mod to ensure things are in order.

My point is, for a newly purchased virgin bird, leave it alone and just fly it. If it breaks due to a malfunction, it's dji's headache.

I see what you're saying, but there is a lot that goes along with "it's dji's headache". This may be the best way for you to understand a little of what I'm getting at. If I pay the fee's, will you ship your quad to me for 4-5 weeks and I will then ship it back to you? I'll even use skype or whatever and let you see it each day(which is way more then I can even think of having right now with dji having my quad). When you get a taste of not having your quad in which you spent decent money for, and all for reason that you have totally nothing to do with....just see the effects it has on you. I'll guarantee you wont say "it's dji's headache". Seriously, I think you would be advising others to take every possible precaution and take care of their stuff the way they should have been raised to.

I really don't see what you're getting at.
RC has always been a high risk hobby; you pays your money and you takes your chances.
What goes up must come down, sooner or later.
I have been unable to fly for extended periods, from my own doing, mostly. For every hour I fly, I'll wager I spend at least twice that in mods, tweaking, etc.
If it breaks I pick it up, fix it, and get back in the air.
It's always on my nickel, as it's out of warranty.

If you're afraid of crashing, you should be in another hobby.
No one likes it, it's an occupational hazard we all must accept..

As far as advising exercising caution and doing one's due diligence, that's exactly what I said at the end of my first post on this:

"Do not take this as a suggestion to run right out and fly into a tree.
If you haven't already, take a week and read everything you can find. The pilot's guide is a must. Fire her up in the house with no props and familiarize yourself with the LED sequences, different control modes, etc. Run scenarios in your mind and flick the switches to initiate Failsafe / RTH (Return-To-Home) for the inevitable first-flight jitters.

Be smart; take it slow and easy. The warranty does not cover stupidity due to over-exuberance.

My point is, You bought one to fly it. Go ahead.
No not avoid it for fear of crashing. The warranty will cover it if it's dji's fault.
If it's your own fault, then you've learned an expensive lesson.

I find it rather disturbing and frankly, bl**dy annoying that after spending $1300US on a new Phantom, one has to consider 'mods' to limit possible failures due to design faults and poor engineering, before one can fly it without fearing it will fly away or fall out of the sky.
I'd hate to think I had to modify a brand new car to feel safe before I even drove it... :?

Phantom_Menace66 said:
I find it rather disturbing and frankly, bl**dy annoying that after spending $1300US on a new Phantom, one has to consider 'mods' to limit possible failures due to design faults and poor engineering, before one can fly it without fearing it will fly away or fall out of the sky.
I'd hate to think I had to modify a brand new car to feel safe before I even drove it... :?

I agree. I am a true enthusiast - been into R/C for years. Love fiddling with things BUT

It is all very well saying "fly it let DJI sort it". What happens if it hits a car or a person or comes down in the water?

There is NO excuse for crap mismatched connectors - using feeble solid wires instead of braided. These are basic things. They have built an awesome wonderful product for a very good price - a tiny bit of common sense and attention to detail would solve so many problems!!!

I would say, don't fly over those things.
I would say take it slow, learn all you can, do not fly over cars or people or water, which is just common sense if you are concerned about hitting those things, which you should be.

My remarks were for those on the forum that are new to the sport/hobby, and there are many here expressing fear because of what they have read here.

In some posts that I have read, it seems some are scared out of their wits by the horror stories.
For every horror story, there are 100 or perhaps 1000 success stories, or dji would already be history.

I started out in a huge field, slowly built up my confidence, and moved my comfort zone higher and further away each flight.
Learn in a place where a crash has no possibility of doing damage or injury to others.

Again, you bought it, go fly it. Use common sense.
Or send it back.

Phantom_Menace66 said:

Not sure about the auto industry in Australia, but based on the number of recalls on cars sold in the USA in the past 15 years, I would say DJI is doing ok when you make that comparison.
Like someone else said in this thread, if you are flying in constant fear, you are in the wrong hobby.

It's all about level of risk! If the Phantom costs you 3 months salary and you crash it within 30 minutes of owning it beyond repair, that will really really hurt! Even if it wasn't your own fault, the subsequent fight with DJI to get them to fix/replace it for you, is very stressful.

Everyone will have a different threshold for this. Some will simply go "oh well" and buy another one..and another one. Others will be mortified.

How many flights should you expect out of the drone before you feel you have your money's worth? Once again probably a very individual view on this point.

Of course flying something has a risk....but considering how expensive this hobby is, and the average income, it is certainly more risky for some than others.

ON a separate point, it is mentioned in another thread that DJI have said if the capacitor at the top end (nearest the main board) of the ESC has a yellow dot on it, then its a good one for the V3. I found you can see this dot without even removing the top cover. Just shine a torch into the vent on one of the arms, and then look from the vent on the other side of it...and I can clearly see this yellow blob on the top of the capaicitor.

Prylar Bek said:
I agree with CapnBob. Sooner then later it might crash . Fly now. Mine flew fine. One fly away. DJI service is local for me, AND they pissed me off that they built a 'new' V3 with the wrong ESC's and I'd been trading nasty emails for weeks until they relented. Other then that too flew fine. Who knows for how long thats why I made them take it back for the new 2.1's

Just to play Devils advocate how do you know they really replaced the ESC's? Isnt the only way to tell is by the sticker? Couldn't the have just swapped stickers on you just to give you piece of mind? Is there any way to really tell which firmware is on the ESC? I wouldn't trust a sticker alone.

I have two Version 3's. One has the 2.1 esc sticker and the other doesn't. I've emailed DJI a couple of times about my concern and they now want me to send in the serial number and a picture of the part so they can fully diagnose the problem and address my concern. I live just inside the edge of the 15.5 mile DC no fly zone and fly in a field that is near my house but is inside the 15.5 mile zone. I'm afraid if I send it in they'll flash my phantom with the latest firmware grounding my phantom so I've decided at this point to just let it go. Ive been flying the no version ESC exclusively and pushing it hard even getting it up to 44 mph. I've even had a tip over (early before I knew of this esc issue) with the motors on and the blades not spinning for a few seconds and the ESC's didnt blow up. I have 26 flights and Im going to fly it hard with 4 batteries consecutively (over an hour total flight time) this afternoon.. I will open the top and take a close look at the esc's for any type of damage. If I dont spot any Im going to close it up and forget about it.

I'll be the Guinea Pig.

jonstatt said:
It's all about level of risk! If the Phantom costs you 3 months salary and you crash it within 30 minutes of owning it beyond repair, that will really really hurt! Even if it wasn't your own fault, the subsequent fight with DJI to get them to fix/replace it for you, is very stressful.

ON a separate point, it is mentioned in another thread that DJI have said if the capacitor at the top end (nearest the main board) of the ESC has a yellow dot on it, then its a good one for the V3. I found you can see this dot without even removing the top cover. Just shine a torch into the vent on one of the arms, and then look from the vent on the other side of it...and I can clearly see this yellow blob on the top of the capaicitor.

Can you point me to the discussion about this yellow dot? Ive read about the blue mark but this is the first time I'm hearing about a yellow dot indicating a good ESC for version 3. Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews