I am Is it normal for battery to be too hot to charge after use?

Reaction score
I am a newbie - I have had my P3 for about a week. After I fly for a while and use up 50ish% of my battery I often find that it will not charge right away due to it being too hot. Is this normal? I live in Toronto so ambient temperature outside is about 25C and about the same inside the house.

What's the best way to cool it down? Can I put it on a heating/cooling vent in my house with the AC running? Or is it a bad idea to cool them down too quickly?

Yes. That is normal. The batteries pack a lot of power and discharging makes them hot. I have found that placing them in front of a small fan or, if my A/C is running, placing them on a vent will drop the temp enough to charge within five minutes or so.

I got an unusual LED pattern when I tried to recharge a battery for a second run: the 4th LED just flashed green, and none of the others. I guess that means, "too hot," but I couldn't find a guide to the battery lights other than how far charged they are.

I got an unusual LED pattern when I tried to recharge a battery for a second run: the 4th LED just flashed green, and none of the others. I guess that means, "too hot," but I couldn't find a guide to the battery lights other than how far charged they are.
Yeah too hot. It's in the manual.

Reactions: JBG

Page 20 (at least for the P3A)

@JdotB You shouldn't be so worried about immediately snatching your battery out, yes while in flight if you notice inside the housing on the backside of the sonar there a small fan that runs, but I doubt it does much to keep the battery cool...

I have a pet-peeve in not leaving batteries in electric r/c vehicles.

Best to separate the energy source for a number of reasons... stuff happens!

@JdotB You shouldn't be so worried about immediately snatching your battery out, yes while in flight if you notice inside the housing on the backside of the sonar there a small fan that runs, but I doubt it does much to keep the battery cool...

It cools the PCB board for 4k camera due to the CPU load, so no, it doens't do anything for the battery

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic