Hundreds violate FAA's Drone no fly zone at Albuquerque's Balloon fiesta

Thanks for posting the news clip.

I didn't realize that the detection systems had already become so sophisticated. I thought that level of tracking ability would still be a couple of years away.

The DJI detection system shown in the news report had a screen with a list of drone id's, flight id's, drone types, and distances which looked in the example to be over 10k meters away. Plus, they were able to view complete individual flight paths including the home point for hundreds of drones at the same time. Very impressive already, and they claimed it worked up to 11 miles.

All drones being tracked on the screen were DJI drones. It was a DJI system and of course DJI has a huge share of the market. I'm sure that identifying and tracking other brands is not yet as easy.

The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta itself is amazing. I've been blessed to be able to attend that event a number of times and loved it. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Last edited:
I'm ok with the monitoring. Helps keep the self righteous honest.
The editors on that news crew need to be fired
Didn't they show their own drone footage at 34s and 146s ?

It seems that news reports almost always use stock drone footage. Sometimes I think the same footage is used many times over across various news outlets. Of course, that's what stock footage is for but can't they at least change it up a little? :)

It's perfectly possible to obtain authorization from ATC to fly in a TFR. This one, as is common, states "unless authorized by ATC" and gives the point of contact for such authorization.

It's perfectly possible to obtain authorization from ATC to fly in a TFR. This one, as is common, states "unless authorized by ATC" and gives the point of contact for such authorization.
I get it, just seems hypocritical to show the exact footage the illegal flyers are trying to capture

I get it, just seems hypocritical to show the exact footage the illegal flyers are trying to capture

It would certainly be hypocritical, as well as illegal, if they did not have authorization. But otherwise you are effectively advocating banning authorized sUAS operations in TFRs simply because non-authorized hobby pilots might be jealous?

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy

It's not hypocritical at all. One is authorized (for whatever reason) and the other is not. Hypocritical would be reporting that the drones in the area were flying illegally and then them ALSO flying illegally (which may or may not be the case).

I'v got lots of data (pics & video) flying from within a restricted area and others would LOVE to be able to do the same but I had authorization (at the time). It's a matter of legal vs illegal.

Reactions: sar104

Those 2 time slots are HELICOPTER footage not sUAS footage.

ms-IrwAlW.gif

Those 2 time slots are HELICOPTER footage not sUAS footage.

Every time there is a wildfire you get authorized air footage from a helicopter or drone of what we wish we could get. Lots of people would like to get as close to an event/accident as the press does. I’d like to be able to go backstage at a concert like the press does ....it’s not hypocritical; it’s appropriate and reasonable.

Reactions: BigAl07 and sar104
Seems to be a lot of Mavic Pros and a P4 on the list on the screen. I was surprised not to see at least one Spark.
Other reports I've seen said they monitored over 450 illegal UAS flights. It would be great to get a detailed list and after action on this.

I thought I read where Los Angeles was also using some sort of tracking (Another name though.) for illegal drone flights since the place is covered with airports. An 11 mile detection range of the DJI Tracker would pretty much cover the entire area. NYC as well.

Now if the balloon festival, with the 458 illegal flights into the TFR, begins passing out citations, the local government will see a big cash cow and others will follow. A couple of healthy fines may pay for the DJI Aero Tracking gear to go into Natianal Parks, etc.

"Your illegal drone flight ticket is in the mail, courtesey of DJI too." o_O

Reactions: MTO

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl