How to shoot off fireworks from your P4 WITHOUT risk to your drone

Reaction score
Take a 500 roll of firecrackers, SEPARATE the roll in half (do NOT cut with a sharp object like a knife or scissors). Do not remove the paper wrapper from the firecrackers. Tie the end of the firecrackers furthest from the fuse to your drone with about a 20 foot lead using a strong nylon thread, hover the drone so that the nylon thread is taught, just starting to lift the strand of firecrackers into the air. Light the firecrackers and give the drone full throttle straight up! Really looks cool!

Reactions: Grant McDonald
I'd say kinda stupid... but it was obvious anyway.

Reactions: Capt. Dave
And if not illegal, it should be! Very real risk of dropping burning pyrotechnics to the ground below.

There’s a few every year.

Don’t reward such behavior by clicking/viewing the link.

I cannot believe that this is what this phantom pilots.com has become. If someone can’t share how they have fun with their phantom LEGALLY (yes, I did check state law before planning this event) and freely without being chastised for it, then I want no part of this. Just remember, no one asked you for your opinions!!!

Reactions: JaaksZA and RW8888
Have you check with federal authorities?

States don’t regulate the NAS airspace.

Lastly, you expected no opinions pro or con?

Well that is a real no brainer. But Class E NAS airspace generally exists from 700/1200 feet. My flight was less than 100'. I recommend reading Appendix A of the National Airspace System Overview. In particular, Table A.1 - Airspace Classifications.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/nas...endix_A-National_Airspace_System_Overview.pdf

As for opinions, I really did not expect any considering the post was placed as a fun piece. Not something to be debated. If opinions were requested, I would have asked for them.

Well that is a real no brainer. But...............

As for opinions, I really did not expect any considering the post was placed as a fun piece. Not something to be debated. If opinions were requested, I would have asked for them.

I am not on either side of the discussion, but if you post what you've done publicly, you can't expect to not hear other peoples opinions.
They are free, so you don't even need to ask for them.

"Video UNAVAILABLE"

That's the smartest thing you could have done after such a "stunt" like I read here. I didn't see the video which is probably for the best . . .

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and dmiles
I am not on either side of the discussion, but if you post what you've done publicly, you can't expect to not hear other peoples opinions.
They are free, so you don't even need to ask for them.

^^^^^ Nailed it!

Ahh man, I missed it.
If I fire my canon, does the projectile have to be cleared with the FAA?
I had a really cool potato canon and a carbide canon that gets my neighbor's attention.

Take a 500 roll of firecrackers, SEPARATE the roll in half (do NOT cut with a sharp object like a knife or scissors). Do not remove the paper wrapper from the firecrackers. Tie the end of the firecrackers furthest from the fuse to your drone with about a 20 foot lead using a strong nylon thread, hover the drone so that the nylon thread is taught, just starting to lift the strand of firecrackers into the air. Light the firecrackers and give the drone full throttle straight up! Really looks cool!
The first step is to get yourself a good mental health check out

Reactions: Rsm425
WHY??

Oh, come on now!! You can't honestly believe that posting such a video on this forum wouldn't illicit some comments.

Bud

I cannot believe that this is what this phantom pilots.com has become. If someone can’t share how they have fun with their phantom LEGALLY (yes, I did check state law before planning this event) and freely without being chastised for it, then I want no part of this. Just remember, no one asked you for your opinions!!!

Well, if you don’t understand the “why” part, you pretty much better pack it in: you’re no fun anymore. Anything involving firecrackers is inherently fun, quite often inherently stupid as well, but still generally loads of fun right up until the ambulance is called,

Drones are fertile ground for the “I wonder what would happen if.....” statement that precedes a whole lot of good times. That also precede hospitalizations and/or incarcerations, but that just invariably adds to a good story.

Yes, this whole concept likely violates a whole lot of rules and laws, be they state, local, federal, all the way up to intergalactic, but a whole lot of fun does. Yes, it was stupid. No, I wouldn’t hang a full pack of black cats on a thousand dollar bill that’s only under my control if the DJI gods are smiling on me that day. (Now Roman candles, on the other hand...) No, if I did something like that I’d kinda keep it to myself to avoid further prosecution. (Or persecution, for that matter). I still understand the “why” part, however. Fun is like that sometimes.

Now hold my beer and watch this..

I hate amateur fireworks. And, in Illinois, all fireworks larger than sparklers and smoke snakes are illegal.

Having said that, if a drone pilot wants to tie explosives to his drone for arial display over his own property and removed from possible effect on his nearest neighbor
( a farm in rural Illinois for one example) why should the pilot be forbidden?

Adult citizens should be allowed any conduct that does not endanger anyone but themselves. But then, they should be self responsible for any resulting deleterious effects on themselves and their property.

If public services should be called on for search and rescue or emergency response, the pilot should be legally liable for paying public expenses incurred.

I would be likely to try something similar for fun and experimentation under the circumstances I describe above. There have been model and amateur rocket clubs for decades after all and some of these efforts have been unintentionally explosive while others have loaded explosive payloads purposely for testing over club grounds and ranges.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
I hate amateur fireworks. And, in Illinois, all fireworks larger than sparklers and smoke snakes are illegal.

Having said that, if a drone pilot wants to tie explosives to his drone for arial display over his own property and removed from possible effect on his nearest neighbor
( a farm in rural Illinois for one example) why should the pilot be forbidden?

Because he’ll take down the entirety of the NAS. Duh.

Well, if you don’t understand the “why” part, you pretty much better pack it in: you’re no fun anymore. Anything involving firecrackers is inherently fun, quite often inherently stupid as well, but still generally loads of fun right up until the ambulance is called,

Drones are fertile ground for the “I wonder what would happen if.....” statement that precedes a whole lot of good times. That also precede hospitalizations and/or incarcerations, but that just invariably adds to a good story.

Yes, this whole concept likely violates a whole lot of rules and laws, be they state, local, federal, all the way up to intergalactic, but a whole lot of fun does. Yes, it was stupid. No, I wouldn’t hang a full pack of black cats on a thousand dollar bill that’s only under my control if the DJI gods are smiling on me that day. (Now Roman candles, on the other hand...) No, if I did something like that I’d kinda keep it to myself to avoid further prosecution. (Or persecution, for that matter). I still understand the “why” part, however. Fun is like that sometimes.

Now hold my beer and watch this..
Ok,, I'm watching......
(oops, sorry I drank your beer there)

Too many killjoys! Fireworks never hurt me or mine, and I fooled with them to some large extent, and still survuved!
Go for it, but don't moan if they damage your drone, otherwise, enjoy.

Reactions: RW8888

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl