How to make timelapse mode work in 4K.

Reaction score
Many (myself included) have complained about DJI's odd decision to limit timelapse mode to 720p, well, as it turns out, it actually DOES produce a 4K timelapse, there is just an extra step to get it. Here is how to do it:

First, when you record your timelapse, set it to make the video AND keep the pictures (obviously, set your camera settings how you want them before you even start). This should be labled as J+V in your settings.

Next, just record your video in timelapse mode as normal.

Now you will need to go to DJI's site and go to the product page for the original Osmo (NOT the Osmo+). Click the tab for downloads. You will see a link, available in both Mac and Windows versions, for a seemingly little known program called "DJI Media Maker." Download and install it on your computer.

Now, get your Osmo footage on to your computer, you should see your normal DCIM video and photo files, but you will also see a folder labled timelapse.

Open the timelapse folder, in it you will find sub folders containing all the still pictures for each of the timelapse videos you took. No need to open them, but keep the timelapse folder open in the window.

Now open DJI media maker and click and drag each of the timelapse sub folders, one at a time, into the DJI media maker.

Now hit start (you can change the file name and destination too, but this seems buggy so don't bother).

Wait patiently for it to finish compiling your videos, depending on your computer and he length of the timelapses this may take awhile, mine takes around 1 minute to compile each second of video.

When it is done you will see that the timelapse folder now contains video files as well as the sub folders. These are your completed 4K timelapses, now just move them to a different folder and rename em whatever you like.

Enjoy.

If you want you can play with the stills in a photo editer like photoshop or literoom first, but that is up to you, you don't have to.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyboy73
That sounds like something I'd like to try. Have you uploaded any of your time lapse videos to YouTube or anywhere where I could look at them?

Sure:

Sadly the warthog is only visible in one frame, but the video was shot using timelapse mode, and as you can see it is available in 4K.:)

I just shot that this afternoon.

I couldn't spot it. I am trying to figure a good use for the capability. I viewed it at 4K with a good monitor but the quality didn't seem that great either. Thanks for sending it along.

I couldn't spot it. I am trying to figure a good use for the capability. I viewed it at 4K with a good monitor but the quality didn't seem that great either. Thanks for sending it along.

I wasn't really planning to film anything, I was mostly just testing the function and getting B roll when I was surprised by a couple of low flying A10s. I only got one frame of it, frame 9. I had my shutter speed set to 50 so there is a good bit of motion blur.

GREAT INFO! Thanks!
But man, you have to re-cut your audio, despite your disclaimer. Haha. It really is a tune out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav