How to keep your drone cool in the car?

Reaction score
I’m taking a trip this weekend, and I’m kinda dreading having to build my cooling rig again just to keep the drone from frying in the car, as I won’t have access to AC for 18 hours, so I’m wondering if anyone has found an easy way to keep your drone/batteries cool in the car?

What temps are you expecting? I think the aircraft would withstand what a parked car would do. Keep the batteries in a cooler, duh. And the drone, too, if the cooler is large enough.

Last edited:
Consider putting the batteries in a plastic sealable container in a cooler. Put sealed ice packs in the cooler so not to introduce moisture. That should get you the 18 hours needed. Really once the sun is down it shouldn't be a problem. I've done this on a large project in south Florida in the summer. Worked like a charm. Hope this helps.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I’m taking a trip this weekend, and I’m kinda dreading having to build my cooling rig again just to keep the drone from frying in the car, as I won’t have access to AC for 18 hours, so I’m wondering if anyone has found an easy way to keep your drone/batteries cool in the car?
Just use L chilly bin or esky,no ice needed,except for the beer,,I found chilly bin worked well,,even had me p3s in it,just stayed same temp as the chilly bin was

The cooling rig sounds like a solution to a problem that didn’t exist. What was it? You are unlikely to have any issues. The biggest concern would be the LiPO’s and they can take well in excess of 60deg C without any problem- just let them cool before charging or flight.

Forgotten Fox: The timing of my advice will likely be too late as it's Sunday today, but you might need it another time.

Whereas we haven't needed to cool our P4P+, I am experienced in keeping professional photography equipment cool (including the old colour transparency film). And other items. The simplest way is to use a large plastic cool box, available in any supermarket, plus several cool blocks (sealed in plastic bags to prevent moisture problems). You'll have enough space for a drone and batteries and it's an inexpensive solution that's also simple.

Make sure your cool blocks are fully frozen before use. It's easy to underestimate how long it takes to get them to maximum performance. Also, there are super-cool blocks available that will - for example - turn a can of Coke into slush or an almost-frozen state. These blocks take longer to fully freeze. We use a combination of both normal cool blocks and one or two super-cool blocks.

Cover the cool box with a folded blanket in the car to keep sun off and to provide additional insulation.

Open car windows whilst driving.

I've worked for many years in Sudan, plus South Africa, and in the outback areas of Australia - so I know what "hot" is and how to counter extreme temperatures.

So a few questions and suggestions. What was outcome FF?

I used a multiple cooler setup with a waterproof drybox inside with the batteries. Kept them nice and chilly, with a cooling solution similar to the old AC units; Ice and fans!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20