How to avoid DJI Phantom Fly-Away by Colin Guinn

Actually 2.4 is really not impeded by 4G, 3G, GSM, LTE or WCDMA. all the carriers are 2.2G and Below. Even with the guard bands. If 2.4 was in there spectrum we would be in a lot of trouble in the RC World with many more issues. There is unlicensed 2.4 Microwave and High power WIFI that could interfere but there again the 2.4 spread spectrum technology that our TX uses is designed to protect and move if interference is detected. It is very unlikely.

BallisticPhantom said:
Actually 2.4 is really not impeded by 4G, 3G, GSM, LTE or WCDMA. all the carriers are 2.2G and Below. Even with the guard bands. If 2.4 was in there spectrum we would be in a lot of trouble in the RC World with many more issues. There is unlicensed 2.4 Microwave and High power WIFI that could interfere but there again the 2.4 spread spectrum technology that our TX uses is designed to protect and move if interference is detected. It is very unlikely.

That used to be the case, but as I was saying, some 4G in the US is now operating at 2,496–2,690MHz. If you're convinced that all cell towers are effectively harmless to your RC signal at close range, then you're more than welcome to fly that close to them. I'll pass.

Not Condoning it by any means OLP. At your own risk ya know... Stuff is always changing I just pretend to know it all till someone tells me something i did not know, then I make it my idea somewhere else so I can look smart! :D I am unsure who is using that frequency but it does not show up on a Spec An in the few states I travel, I will keep an eye out. For the mass issues that they encountered and the fact that he states every single time he goes up to that tower it faults to RTH I would question that.

BallisticPhantom said:

And what about harmonics or just the fact the front end of the RX gets swamped at close range to the Cell TX.
Additionally, emitted cell tower RF is supposed to be clean - I'm not convinced every one is, or they are maintained properly.

ElGuano said:
miskatonic said:
BallisticPhantom said:
The cellphone tower story is bunk IMO. He must nave a special not so cell phone tower at his shop or in another country. All that rf could be an issue yes but it is unlikely that the 2.4 on that spread band could do that. If that were the case 2.4 would have been ban for rc long ago. A receiver issue allowing that interference to effect it is much more likely.

DJI is in China.

Colin is at DJI America, they're in Austin TX I believe. That office does sales, marketing, PR and tech support for the Americas.

Really!... That might come in handy considering where I live :D

I'll have to look up there address!

OI Photography said:
Davek said:
Really!... That might come in handy considering where I live :D

I'll have to look up there address!

Anderson and Burnet Rd, SE corner, across from the Jack in the Box, and right behind the Shell station ;)

Less than a mile from where I work and located in an odd part of town than I'd expect. Lot's of retail shopping and restaurants at that intersection and where I often eat lunch. I'll certainly have to do a drive by.... lol.

Davek said:
Less than a mile from where I work and located in an odd part of town than I'd expect. Lot's of retail shopping and restaurants at that intersection and where I often eat lunch. I'll certainly have to do a drive by.... lol.

Colin strikes me as the kind of guy who would want to be located closer to the culture than the tech sector...my money says he wanted to be within walking distance of the Alamo Drafthouse ;)

I'm sure they got a good deal on the space too, I don't think that building has ever had more than 2 of the 4 suites in it occupied, and never for very long.

OI Photography said:
Colin strikes me as the kind of guy who would want to be located closer to the culture than the tech sector...my money says he wanted to be within walking distance of the Alamo Drafthouse ;)

I'm sure they got a good deal on the space too, I don't think that building has ever had more than 2 of the 4 suites in it occupied, and never for very long.

Ha..... for somebody that lives in Clarksville, TN, you know awefull lot about this area! :D But again, if my phantom flies away, I'll be on their doorstep asap.

On a side note, I once had issues with wireless adapters for home PC's when they first came out years ago. They would loose connectivity all the time. I bought different brands like linksys and netgear to plug into my motherboards and none of them work so I'd take them back to Frys. Then I ran across this one off name brand called Buffalo. Well Buffalo's main office is right down the street from me too so I bought it and thought I'd bang on their door if it didn't work. But guess what..... it did work and I never had to go over there. They probably won't help me in any case but I can at least bug them in person!

Davek said:
OI Photography said:

Ha..... for somebody that lives in Clarksville, TN, you know awefull lot about this area! :D But again, if my phantom flies away, I'll be on their doorstep asap.

On a side note, I once had issues with wireless adapters for home PC's when they first came out years ago. They would loose connectivity all the time. I bought different brands like linksys and netgear to plug into my motherboards and none of them work so I'd take them back to Frys. Then I ran across this one off name brand called Buffalo. Well Buffalo's main office is right down the street from me too so I bought it and thought I'd bang on their door if it didn't work. But guess what..... it did work and I never had to go over there. They probably won't help me in any case but I can at least bug them in person!

I've only been here a year, lived all over Austin before that ;)

Buffalo makes some good stuff, always cheap and in-stock at Fry's, I've had great results with some of their antennas.

At least you got out of this horribly hot drought stricken place into cooler weather But I'll be happy to knock on their door for you too!

It actually makes me feel a bit better since buying one last week a local hobby shop. I started really reading up on these after the fact and all those fly-away threads where really making me paranoid. I've already ordered a garmin and labeled mine with phone numbers and reward money. Especially once I get it gimbaled and another $1000 in misc riding along. Kinda surprised that DJI hasn't addressed this a bit sooner after all the reading I've done. And I'm not positive but it seems people have gotten free replacements after this has happened which seems unreal to me. Back in my old rc plane days, you crash it & you own it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl