How the Phantom maintains the altitude by sensors before it switches to barometer mode.

Reaction score
One should know that when flying low (less than 10m) the Phantom will maintain the altitude with US sensors.
But this means that it is going to fly at the same distance from the ground below. If the ground goes up or down the drone will follow until at higher altitude the barometric mode becomes active. Then it maintains the same altitude regardless the distance from the ground.
Maybe it seems irrelevant for everyday flying but might become important if you fly under obstacles above the drone. So be aware of this!

One should know that when flying low (less than 10m) the Phantom will maintain the altitude with US sensors.
But this means that it is going to fly at the same distance from the ground below. If the ground goes up or down the drone will follow until at higher altitude the barometric mode becomes active. Then it maintains the same altitude regardless the distance from the ground.
Maybe it seems irrelevant for everyday flying but might become important if you fly under obstacles above the drone. So be aware of this!

Just to clarify your saying if I am flying in a cave with a low ceiling and im a 5m that if the ground level changes it will not be recognized by the sensors and continue to fly as if the sensors did not work.

Our you sure because when we chase waves the phantom comes to a stop waits for the waves to fall and than moves forward..

Phantomrain.org
Coal

NO, it's just the opposite - it will maintain the same distance from the ground so if the ground is going up the ceiling becomes a problem as it will crash into it.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I’m pretty sure my P4P+ will just crash into the ground if the ground slopes up. Now, i do have all my sensors turned off... that is why there is a ground follow mode yes?

Yes there is that mode but I want to clear out if the drone does that by itself being on the sensor altitude.
I noticed that the drone being less than 5m above the ground descends when it comes to a lower level of the ground or go up in the opposite way.

I'm curious as to how sensitive the sensors are. For instance, if my P4P v2 is one foot above the ground and I have sensors turned on, can I head full speed at a small 3 foot rise or hill and not crash into the ground? If the answer is yes, would going slower help?

Well, I would strictly advise you - don't do that! Phantoms are fast and going fast it is almost imposible to control such minimal variations in ground level and the Phantom probably either can't.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31