How much intestinal fortitude do you have with waypoints?

I couldn't agree more. I'll stay in my safe zone for now until I really learn the ropes. It does like like an awesome app though from what I see. I do love the way point feature . I can't wait until the day I can plot out my way point and rotate my bird while heading on a set route with no worries meaning not having to control AC , just focus on the angles etc
.Thank you...
That feature is the main reason I bought Litchi when I started flying with my p2V+. Lately I use it with my P3A and P3P and it's almost perfect. I have lost video feed and got very nervous. Every time it continues with the mission and (because I have the last waypoint at my home point), it returns home safely. Make today the day..and enjoy this feature. Safe flying to all...Al T

Reactions: meissner58
Litchi hands down is great at what it does. I trust the way points. To date it has performed flawlessly. The ability to plan your flights at home on your computer is, well, just, WOW!

I couldn't agree more. I'll stay in my safe zone for now until I really learn the ropes.
.Thank you...

Litchi's a great app. The offline mission planning is way nicer than DJI. Seems stable as can be, whereas I've had a problem or two with DJI.

That being said, I'm new to this game, so I'm like you. I'm mostly just tooling around in a local park getting the mechanics of flying and shooting at the same time down. Challenging. I've done a bunch of Litchi missions, but haven't got the nerve to do any out of sight yet. I'll get there.

I'll eventually buy the app but right now, I don't quite have the confidence yet. My main concern is, with it being a 3rd party app, is crashing during the mission. I've seen videos where people are using the app, the app crashes mid mission, and they open the app again and it's not able to reconnect. So basically you have to just make sure your end waypoint is the home point and hope it completes the mission, then take over when it is in range. At the moment, I'm finding that I want to visit an area and then circle an area of interest. I find the POI mode in the Go app perfect for that.

Mike

Reactions: #BirdDog
My Litchi for P2 app crashes about half the time and only once per flight (I blame my crappy tablet) but it reconnects instantly every time. It has never not reconnected instantly unless the aircraft was out of range.

I just did a Litchi mission to 900 m distance and back (50 m altitude at Litchi's max 54 km/h following a centerline of a road and then some other landmarks. ...still using an ancient iPad mini 1 but I digress...).

As almost expected, I lost contact for about 15 seconds at the far end (trees and small buildings in between. No mammals below were in danger...). The AC came back safely with flying colors once more from this Litchi mission.

I could never fly such in-the-middle-of-THAT-road-and-some ride manually. Litchi orbit with POI is even harder or impossible manually. I'd gladly re-pay for a Litchi update. Just a happy customer.

But I wonder if it would it be good to maximize the safety of the AC in these missions by:

a) have a person at the far end of the mission with a cell phone so s/he could report if something goes wrong (and where to find the AC). I proposed this to my son but he vanished somewhere before I powered the AC for this mission...

b) be prepared to quickly travel to the far end of the mission to re-gain control.

c) go half-way to the end of the mission, then start the mission.

p.s. I got great footage! I exported the 3840 × 2160 from FCP as H.264 1920 x 1080 and also as 3840 × 2160 for this special clip although IMHO HD is practically just as good resolution-wise and plays smoother even on modern HW. I currently trash the originals because they quickly add up.

Reactions: Kentrol72
One word: FLYTREX

Well okay three words: FLYTREX LIVE 3G

Yup, that's how I track my long range Waypoint missions.

Cant do anything if it starts to go wrong, but at least I'll know where to find the remains.

Litchi hands down is great at what it does. I trust the way points. To date it has performed flawlessly. The ability to plan your flights at home on your computer is, well, just, WOW!
I'm excited to try this! Such great reviews all over the place. I'm honestly going to wait just alittle longer. Get some more flights in. I only have about 23 flights with a few close calls and one crash (totally my fault) sending it down 50ft from my tree in the yard. Long story lol. Walked away just replacing blades . Everything else survived. Including the expensive camera I just replaced 3 weeks prior from literally bumping it on a corner table walking into the house. Lesson learned real quick how fragile these really are. I'm learning a lot on here. This is hands down one of the best apps to get helpful info and I have many to thank on here. I always said

"I'd rather ask a stupid question than correct a dumb mistake."

Happy flying out there...

yes, i already own Litchi. Thanks
However i know a few firmware versions back, DJI introduced a limit in the firmware that the way points had to be within 500m radius of the home point. Is that not true anymore?
Also wondering if u can abort mission and RTH if needed ?

FLYTREX $649 ... after 10s I stopped reading ... how is that better than common sense or buying a new AC if SNAFU?

There is absolutely no need to buy a third party app, you can fly with DJI Go App but...but there are few pluses in every third party apps. I'm I te rested in video aerial photography and wanted to plan well in advance how and where my P3 should fly at what sped and how the camera should be angled. It's difficult to do with DJI Go app and not possible yet to plan it offline. One of the apps that helped me is Litchi. I'm enjoying it. I could have picked up another app to do the same task but somehow I started with Litchi and staying with it for the purpose.

Know your interest and requirement first and then decide what to do, what to buy if any, can you take the risks etc...,,,so many question marks.
Wow that's amazing that u can set your speed too!!! I never heard of this. That would make video soooo much smoother all the way around. Speed and rotation takes a bit of a smooth hand. I fly my 2 other drones and rc planes to keep my practice in the air. Keeping everything nice and smooth . I started out thinking this might be alittle boring for me at first when I purchased P3P. Now I can't get enough of it. Constantly pulling over while on the road to beautiful locations just to grab a couple mins of video or pictures. This really opened my eyes to more and more possibilities. I have alot of hunters that want me to scan the woods from above to find deer. I have a family member that wants me to get Arial shots and pics of real estate property . (Out in country areas) and business's wanting Arial shots of there business and property's. It would truly be amazing if u cld do something u really love AND get paid for it. Who knows .. maybe someday..for now I drive these highways in search of areas not many have seen.

FLYTREX $649 ... after 10s I stopped reading ... how is that better than common sense or buying a new AC if SNAFU?
No.... that's not Flytrex Live 3G .... that's an entire aircraft called a Flytrex SKY and that's the retail price. And you know what they say about retail...

I'm honestly going to wait just alittle longer. Get some more flights in.

Yes, better to be safe than sorry!

I prepare my Litchi flights well in advance. Then check them later. Then double-check them.

Then calibrate the compass and launch the AC to the 1st waypoint altitude. Re-check GPS count, camera zebra & histogram, set gimbal horizon and POI if necessary. Take a deep breath. Then fly the mission with left thumb on the throttle-up stick (to avoid the trees) and left index finger ready to switch to P mode (to cancel the mission). Be prepared to travel to the last live waypoint.

Yes, better to be safe than sorry!

I prepare my Litchi flights well in advance. Then check them later. Then double-check them.

Then calibrate the compass and launch the AC to the 1st waypoint altitude. Re-check GPS count, camera zebra & histogram, set gimbal horizon and POI if necessary. Take a deep breath. Then fly the mission with left thumb on the throttle-up stick (to avoid the trees) and left index finger ready to switch to P mode (to cancel the mission). Be prepared to travel to the last live waypoint.
Always plan litchi waypoints on laptop/ Mac using map with terrain. Check the elevation of each point to ensure you keep enough clearance with ground.

Save it then to get it back later on your mobile device at the time of flying. If plan is successful then share online with others.

I have flown around 8 Litchi missions now and can say it's the best app I've purchased. The cost is tiny for what it actually helps perform.
By all means do homework on these forums but please do not let the occasional problem posts rule your decisions. Many times more flyers will post a problem but wouldn't consider posting a positive experience. It's human nature.
Don't be one of these people that let the 'what ifs' run their lives.
I'd bet 99% of problems and crashes using Litchi are pure pilot error, bad planning such as not taking prior note of the shape of the terrain and elevating accordingly. Or thinking gps positioning is metre perfect and crying when the bird hits one of the trees it was programmed to fly 'between'.
Common sense rules.
Get the app. Have fun. Don't be ruled by pessimism.

I have developed a handy spreadsheet for calculating height at each waypoint. Feel free to use.

Attachments

• Litchi elevation profiler.zip
    14.8 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: mikesmiley
OP, I think you meant 'Testicular fortitude'. Intestinal fortitude would just be............gross.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj