How Much Does You Phantom Weigh?

I don't blame you for not carving your P2 with the Zenmuse gimbal. From what I have seen, that gimbal is already pretty light and doesn't seem to have much to trim away.

What do your landing gear clip extensions look like?
I used some 0.5" Al spacers, retapped the holes for 4-40 (real close to the metric screws they use), and am going to try making some spacers out of lexan rather than the spacers, for better support. Hopefully they won't weigh much.

Ck this thread out, Took pics of em nailed up on the wall. See Em Here Below.
Thanks ~Duke

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/phantom-storage-idea.49652/

Here are some pics for your dining and dancing pleasure....

bat bay.jpg
coax2.jpg
cross brace.jpg
gimbal detail.jpg
gimbal side.jpg
gimbal wiring.jpg
mount under belly.jpg
osd and can.jpg
spacers.jpg
weight.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Duke
As you can see... I have almost as much fun modding my P2 as flying it! (haven't flown it YET though... can't wait!)

Got a chuckle out of that!

Yeah I come up with a good one now and then I guess! :D Like yer Mod's Lightening em up increases flight time plain and simple. It looks like yours went on that new TY-BO P90X Diet! :eek:

~Duke

Could be.... I did hear a lot of gruntin' and groanin'! :confused:o_O
ANYTHING to get rid of weight and increase fly time without increasing the possibility of failure.
The gimbal had MORE than enough "beef" in the motor mounts, so I tried just drilling holes in the motor "cups", but the more I looked at it, the more I thought "I can get rid of more material" so I plunked it down into the mill and cut away.
Didn't cut any of the bosses for the screws though as they were small already.
Made a difference though, so it was worth it! Each motor "cup" was 13g, and after milling they are down to 6.9g each! Almost half :eek:.

I guess I will have to stop and fly the **** thing though! ENOUGH MODIFICATION!!!! :confused::rolleyes:

Could be.... I did hear a lot of gruntin' and groanin'! :confused:o_O
ANYTHING to get rid of weight and increase fly time without increasing the possibility of failure.
The gimbal had MORE than enough "beef" in the motor mounts, so I tried just drilling holes in the motor "cups", but the more I looked at it, the more I thought "I can get rid of more material" so I plunked it down into the mill and cut away.
Didn't cut any of the bosses for the screws though as they were small already.
Made a difference though, so it was worth it! Each motor "cup" was 13g, and after milling they are down to 6.9g each! Almost half :eek:.

I guess I will have to stop and fly the **** thing though! ENOUGH MODIFICATION!!!! :confused::rolleyes:

Yeah, there comes a time when it needs to get off the treadmill and start showin what it's made of I guess! Good job with it. I LIKE IT!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

~Duke

Thank you very much! I started with a VLtoys V686G to "learn on"... didn't expect to spend this much on a quad, but after "playing" with the vltoys and talking to my cousins/daughter's/friend's/husband (did you follow that?),that is really into these (DJI phantoms), he talked me into getting a Phantom, and I am glad I did!

Going to sell the VL/extra batteries/extra motors (that have never been used)... would like to keep it, but money is tight right now, and the Phantom is SO much better and useful!

A little scared from all the talk about flyaways and crashes, but there is only one way to find out!

Sorry I have steered this thread in another direction... just wanted to give my input on quad weight, and what others have done.

No steering the thread wrong here, you have contributed greatly. ;) On that flee bay Gimbal I have I plan on doing something very similar of what you did.

~Duke

Sure! If you need any tips/help, just let me know.

There isn't much to say, but IF you do decide to mill away any of the cups, I wouldn't cut too close to the screw holes and bosses in the cup.
Those are the where the tiny screws thread into, and you really don't want to get rid of any of the material around them.

Not to sure how it is going to fair IF I crash (and we all know I will NEVER crash....RRRIIIIGHT!):rolleyes:

Also, I don't know if it is clear enough, I drilled a few holes in the end of the cups around the motor mounting holes... just not TOO close.

The material doesn't really cut like Al, so it may be some alloy... kind of gummy, but it does file somewhat like Al. It is not ferrous, so it may be a cheap grade of Al... don't know for sure though. (or my cutter wasn't real sharp!)

Have you weighed your Zenmuse without the camera? Just curious...

I see the VTX inside next to the battery. Any issues with heat build up .I know when I flew the last couple of days in 90* Temp.When i pulled the battery it was quite warm. And my Transmitter was on the outside and it was also warm.

I see the VTX inside next to the battery. Any issues with heat build up .I know when I flew the last couple of days in 90* Temp.When i pulled the battery it was quite warm. And my Transmitter was on the outside and it was also warm.
Sorry I haven't replied sooner.... been modding my P2 (still!).

I did take that into account when mounting the TX and was a little concerned about heat.
The heat sink is just siliconed to the top of the RF shield and is not really sinking any heat from the IC's inside... kind of a "dressup" not-really-functional heat sink, but I imagine it does do a little something.

I did fly around for a short while in the backyard and it didn't seem to get very hot.
It does get warm, but not too warm.
In the P2 where I have it mounted, I purposely mounted it so the heat sink on the top of the TX is against the slots in the body of the quad, just for that reason.

I have a Flir camera so what I will do is power it up just sitting without the props running and look at it with the Flir after about 10 minutes, and see how hot it gets, and post the pics here.

Here are the Flir pics of the VTX temps at 0,10min,20 min of static on time (no movement or props).
Note: the red crosshairs automatically find the hottest point within the bounding box. The white crosshairs (spot temp) I tried to position on one of the vent grills.

Attachments

• FLIR0416.jpg
    FLIR0416.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 255
  • FLIR0417.jpg
    FLIR0417.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 205
  • FLIR0418.jpg
    FLIR0418.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 253
Here are the Flir pics of the VTX temps at 0,10min,20 min of static on time (no movement or props).
Note: the red crosshairs automatically find the hottest point within the bounding box. The white crosshairs (spot temp) I tried to position on one of the vent grills.
I run a couple of Traxxas R C cars .I am always watching motor and Battery Temp.I use fans on the motors on the cars But I would like to use one on the Phantom Battery in this heat. But where does it end .I am getting lousy flight time now

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1