How many units malfunctioned versus total number of units in service

Reaction score
Continue to want to buy a P3 but am put off by posts of malfunctioning units. I'd like to think that these posts represent only a tiny fraction of the number of units in service--perhaps less than 5%? It'd be good to know... Is there an audit that shows this info?

I'd hate to be putting off buying a P3 because of few hyped complaints

Anyone shed some light on this?

No audit available. TOO many variables once in the hands of a consumer to be able to compile such but agree malfunctions are very low %.

The P3 is an R/C aircraft that relies on a lot of technology to be able to do the things it does.
It is completely unstable with out an FC or constant pilot inputs.

It has no redundancy so any failure or malfunction can result on loss of flight.
This includes operator error (failure).

You need to be prepared for this anytime you launch an R/C aircraft.

Still the P3 seems to be doing very well for a DJI new release.
Anyone that watched the early days of the Inspire would be thinking that there are very few issues coming to light for the P3.
A lot of the potential bugs were picked up with the I1.

Impossible to get absolute numbers but the negatives are very few this time around.

We won't get a real sense of potential issues until spare batteries are readily available. Significantly less flights taking place at the moment I would imagine.

There are a lot less crashes being reported compared to this time last year when the p2v+ was released so it's looking good.
Although most of those I would have put down to new pilot error.

Continue to want to buy a P3 but am put off by posts of malfunctioning units. I'd like to think that these posts represent only a tiny fraction of the number of units in service--perhaps less than 5%?

I'd hate to be putting off buying a P3 because of few hyped complaints

There are a few thousand P3s out there now and I've only seen 3 or 4 incidents reported so far - and this is before the cause (operator or malfunction) is proved.
Perhaps less than 5%???
We are looking at something much less than 1%.

You have to be aware of the potential for your imagination to do the hyping.

I bought 5. Only crashed 3 so far. The dreaded VPS will get ya.

Haha jk

Normally in the world of electronics the industry standard for fail rate is 1%

Actually .1% is the stated targeted goal.

A 1% fail rate will have a net P&L impact of 4-5% with handling, replacement cost, shipping, order process etc...

Systems I've designed in the past (telecom) had requirement of 99.999% availability, as life line support was required. Then came wireless ....... and we accept crap.

I was thinking there seems to be fewer issues with the P3 than there was with the P2V+. When the P2V+ launched, flyaway was a regular thing. There seemed to be a new flyaway every day! I haven't read about any with the P3.
Lost video feed was also a common defect. There were lots of pilots without video feed and the numbers seemed to grow daily.
When I bought my P2V+, the first two had out-of-box failures. The first lost the video feed back to my iPad after just a few days and never recovered. DJI offered a refund, but I had to ship it back to them for them to evaluate.
The second P2V+ lost control signal and initiated RTH after less than 30 sec of each flight. That one was purchased from a local supplier and they issued a credit after they had It happen twice while they were flying my Phantom.
Fortunately, my third P2V+ didn't have any issues, but it took three P2V+ in less than a month to find one that worked. I'm not seeing these kind of reports with the P3......am I just not reading the right threads?

Like everything in this world you only hear about the bad, barely any of the good. A lot of members(including myself) join just to read and see what's going on and most barely post. I have a p3 and I will preach to everyone who asks me about it and tell convince them into buying one... Until the price is spoken about lolol

My V+ had that failure once. $450 mistake :)

+1

Over the decades, I've crashed r/c aircraft in just about any imaginable way!

Mid-air, radio fail/lock-out, run out of fuel (what's fuel?), forgot to secure wings to fuse, retracted gear before take-off, LOS in clouds, over fatigued/stressed airframe, Budweiser... you get the idea.

I need to follow a checklist. Tonight I flew about 2.1 miles with shakey FPV.

Need to remember to remove the gimbal lock next time.

I was thinking there seems to be fewer issues with the P3 than there was with the P2V+. When the P2V+ launched, flyaway was a regular thing. There seemed to be a new flyaway every day! I haven't read about any with the P3.
Lost video feed was also a common defect. There were lots of pilots without video feed and the numbers seemed to grow daily.
When I bought my P2V+, the first two had out-of-box failures. The first lost the video feed back to my iPad after just a few days and never recovered. DJI offered a refund, but I had to ship it back to them for them to evaluate.
The second P2V+ lost control signal and initiated RTH after less than 30 sec of each flight. That one was purchased from a local supplier and they issued a credit after they had It happen twice while they were flying my Phantom.
Fortunately, my third P2V+ didn't have any issues, but it took three P2V+ in less than a month to find one that worked. I'm not seeing these kind of reports with the P3......am I just not reading the right threads?

Mostly positive reviews. Mainly pilot error (myself included). Go for it. I had a blast flying mine. Eventually break it but fun until then

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.